ROR, to keep or not to keep

LGR4GM

Why not consider it? The Sabres' biggest problem is goaltending right now. And it's a GLARING problem.

I miss the "Miller is average" crew.

His age and contract. When we are actually going to be able to complete for a cup he will be declining.

Why not consider it?  The Sabres' biggest problem is goaltending right now.  And it's a GLARING problem.

It's far too much money for a goaltender, period.  He's also spending more time out injured lately.  No thanks... not at all.  A goaltender for half the price will be more than half of Price in net.

Carey Price has been the best goalie in hockey for most of this decade and is only 30.

Roberto Luongo is still solid at 38 and Henrik Lundqvist at 36. Good goalies generally play well until their mid-30s.

I’d say there is a good chance last season was an outlier, and he has a half-dozen good years left.

His anti-Lehner demeanour and the stability he would bring to the room, I can’t think of a better fit for the Sabres.

That contract though is pretty much immovable.

Was not so sure but i am heading towards keeping him now. We do have a great player and i dont want him traded and then looking back and thinking as he is doing well elsewhere "you dont know how good you had it had until its gone"

Lets concentrate on building around the core, not within.

Why not consider it?  The Sabres' biggest problem is goaltending right now.  And it's a GLARING problem.

How many times in the first period this year did either one of our goalies give up a lame goal to start the game, or when we go ahead a lame goal to tie it. In my eyes our horrible goalie situation did more to hurt the team than any other position.  Nothing hurts a team more than a bad goalie situation. Fix it and you fix alot.

I was all for trading him before but I really like the fact that he went to the Worlds. Might not be a popular view, but players who willingly sign up for the Worlds all get thumbs up from me. Speaks to character. competitiveness and a simple love of playing hockey. 

Jack on the other hand.........

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but, in case you are questioning Jack's character, competitiveness and love of playing, I think that is completely misguided.  How do we know he doesn't think it's more important to already start training for the Sabres next season, how do we know he doesn't have a minor nagging injury that he wants to let heal and be top shape for next season?  etc etc

I was all for trading him before but I really like the fact that he went to the Worlds. Might not be a popular view, but players who willingly sign up for the Worlds all get thumbs up from me. Speaks to character. competitiveness and a simple love of playing hockey. 

Jack on the other hand.........

So you are upset that a guy who had a high ankle sprain in February  and missed I think 6 weeks, decided after finishing out the season to not go to the World's and to instead work on his rehab and recovery further? You go right ahead and be upset then because I think it is a silly dig at a player and basically unreasonable. 

Jack played in that tournament before he became an NHLer. Then he played the most grueling season of his life, his rookie year, then he spent two summers rehabbing an ankle that was not only horrifically injured, but regularly tweaked afterwards each season. 

Any healthy season from here on out that the Sabres miss the playoffs or get bounced early, I bet he's there. He loves playing for Team USA and has said as much. 

I'm saying it calls his competitiveness into question. Not a certainty, but one of those things you put an asterisk beside or file the thought and go hmmm. It's not like we haven't questioned his competitiveness on occasion before is it? He has been seen to quit on plays and play big one game and seem disinterested in another. We always make excuses for him cause we want to believe. I WANT to believe too, things like this just make me unsure.

Feel the same about Matthews who was "exhausted" . On the other hand, Charlie McAvoy, who also had late season injury issues and actually had a tiring playoff run went over. Damn I wish we'd drafted that guy, he is going to be so good! 

Props to ANYONE who goes over and plays. 

I'm saying it calls his competitiveness into question. Not a certainty, but one of those things you put an asterisk beside or file the thought and go hmmm. It's not like we haven't questioned his competitiveness on occasion before is it? He has been seen to quit on plays and play big one game and seem disinterested in another. We always make excuses for him cause we want to believe. I WANT to believe too, things like this just make me unsure.

Feel the same about Matthews who was "exhausted" . On the other hand, Charlie McAvoy, who also had late season injury issues and actually had a tiring playoff run went over. Damn I wish we'd drafted that guy, he is going to be so good! 

If it were for an Olympics or a World Cup, would probably be more willing to see him go over and compete for his country; but it's for the "world championships" which conveniently take place EVERY SINGLE YEAR during the early NHL playoffs which necessarily guarantees the BEST players in the world will skip the tournament because they are competing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

We ONLY care about this because the Sabres are now finishing year 7 of complete and utter irrelevance. Once the Sabres are relevant again, nobody that posts here and lives on this side of the Pond will care about who wins it. I hope Eichel NEVER AGAIN plays in it because I want this to be the last time he ever isn't busy playing for the Sabres while this inferior tournament is ongoing. Hoping this is O'Reilly's last kick at that can too.

Should the organizers ever push the tournament back a month or so, so that it could be a true competition between all the best hockey players in the world, I will reconsider my position. (Don't know that it will change, but it theoretically could.)

Agree with you on this one taro. Want our players playing playoff hockey. I will be in Slovakia next year to see great Britain take on the world's elite. We tend to have an up down experience as the world's goes but looking forward to seeing the world's best teams in action.

In my mind it doesn't. I'd rather a healthy Eichel for the Sabres in September then him doing a tournament I don't care about. Personally I think this take is a major reach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.