ROR, to keep or not to keep

LGR4GM

I haven't kept up with it too much, but why is it such a bad thing for a highly competitive guy to say that he is sick of losing and that all the losing has worn him down and eroded his love for the game? Seems to me that it is a very honest statement by a guy who is/was legitimately frustrated... that has now morphed into "he is a problem in the locker room."

No it hasn't. There was just a question of does it impact the locker room. 

If he's an unmanageable problem in the room, goodbye. It's risky, but I think less risky than keeping a Debbie Downer around (if that's what he is) especially when he's supposed to be one of your franchise guys w/ respect to role (top 2 Center) and compensation.

Hopefully w/ the new talent and a "C" on Eichel they get off to a great start in Oct. ROR can do his thing on the ice while the kids light it up, and we can enjoy some Ws.

I have full faith in JBot to make it happen. Disclosure: I had full faith in GMTM too.

I don't think he's a locker room problem.

I love ROR and still applaud EXGMTM for that trade. It was a work of genius and he never got the full credit he deserved for that deal. Of course he also gave a 1st for Lehner but we won;t go there...we've crossed that bridge a hundred times already.

having said that, I do wonder if the Sabres will be able to keep him and his salary in say a couple of years when you suddenly have to pay a bunch of young studs big money. the problem of course would be one of moving ROR say 3 years from now when his value has decreased significantly. Now would be the best time to move him no doubt as his value is probably as high is it ever will be.

All-in-all, this is a tough decision and one that should only be considered if the return is substantial and clearly helps he Sabres out NOW. I find it hard to believe ROR is a problem or cancer in the dressing room when he gets picked every year to represent Canada in various tournaments and always plays very well and often is Captain or assistant captain. You have to think that there are very good and smart hockey people picking the tournament teams and for them to include ROR year after year tells me he is highly respected and regarded and certainly not a problem in the dressing room.

Keep him. No question.

He's an intelligent, skilled, effective core player that eats minutes in tough situations and shows IQ in all situations. He's the veteran leader you need.

He played the hardest minutes among our forwards, and he was actually successful at it, and not just by Corsi metrics. He finished 3 point behind Eichel, 2nd on the team. Led the team in PPG, PPP, and SHP. 2nd in shots. 1st among forwards in shifts/GP. 1st among forwards in blocked shots. 1st on the team in takeaways by a country mile. Best faceoff percentage of anyone in the league with more than two dozen faceoff. He's a Lady Byng finalist. You have him locked up for years.

How do you replace all that with any three players, let alone one?

You can't trade away a vet like ROR unless the return is silly good.

I would think he is part of the core that you build the team around.

You can't expect Middlestat to be a 2C in his first year in the league. 

Draft smart and don't trade first round draft picks like GMTM did.

You guys have the makings of a really good team there if management does't try to rush things.

Dahlin will be a Norris Trophy contender for years.

You guys have the makings of a really good team there if management does't try to rush things.

Good post, nothing is going to miraculously happen overnight. You wait for the young guys to mature and add a piece or 2 every year. That's how you mold a team. Sometimes it happens fast sometimes it doesn't but if you keep getting rid or your best players, your taking one step forward and 2 back. By changing the roster too much your not building any chemistry within the team. 

The Jets are the perfect example right now of building a team.

Good post, nothing is going to miraculously happen overnight. You wait for the young guys to mature and add a piece or 2 every year. That's how you mold a team. Sometimes it happens fast sometimes it doesn't but if you keep getting rid or your best players, your taking one step forward and 2 back. By changing the roster too much your not building any chemistry within the team. 

The Jets are the perfect example right now of building a team.

The bolded part is something I've been thinking for a long time.  I would have preferred to keep Kane (if that was a possibility).  I understand the idea of moving an expiring free agent if you can't bring him back at a price in line with your long term plan, but in Kane's case it seemed like no attempt was even by the Sabres to retain him.  Yeah, we can dump Josefons and Pouliots, but why get rid of our best finisher?

The bolded part is something I've been thinking for a long time.  I would have preferred to keep Kane (if that was a possibility).  I understand the idea of moving an expiring free agent if you can't bring him back at a price in line with your long term plan, but in Kane's case it seemed like no attempt was even by the Sabres to retain him.  Yeah, we can dump Josefons and Pouliots, but why get rid of our best finisher?

Couldn't have said this any better. Hopefully it works out in the end but in the mean time, not making any contact with his agent to keep him sounds like they had no plans to keep him. Then they wonder why the return was so little. If the Sharks resign him at least they'll get a lower #1 next year.

Then you have a couple of guys on this site spreading rumors and BS, like they really know anything that's going on with the team much less Kane.  

Agree... maybe they talked to him and realized there was no chance... that being said Sabres need to build not trade away best players or picks. Rumors may be fake news to generate stories or spread by other teams looking for bargains.. Hopefully, JBots can put a lid on this crap... Buffalo media in negative mode like the fans... grasping at straws of inpatience.

I agree with keeping him for all the reasons many have stated. Can't keep changing all the pieces without keeping any foundation in place. 

Who do we have that could replace the tough minutes he has been taking on the ice the last 2 seasons. Sure he may be a bit of a Debbie downer when things aren't going well but that didn't diminish his contributions, maybe just made it hard to talk to or be around him. 

Imagine the Happy ROR and how much better he may be when they start winning and competing regularly. I'm going glass half full and say build around him instead of creating another hole that can be harder to replace. 

Edited by R_Dudley

Per Dreger- ROR did not back off his end of the year comments in an interview coming out later today on TSN.

Dreger gets the impression from ROR that he and Botterill has talked and that he will not be moved.

The Sabres gave a message to Dreger, that they will listen on ROR Trade Offers, but the pieces would need to fit.

Yup. Time to keep talent. 

Per Dreger- ROR did not back off his end of the year comments in an interview coming out later today on TSN.

Dreger gets the impression from ROR that he and Botterill has talked and that he will not be moved.

The Sabres gave a message to Dreger, that they will listen on ROR Trade Offers, but the pieces would need to fit.

The only way I trade ROR is for overpayment. 

...which is unlikely, given his contract.

he has  a great contract. He costs 125k per point which is probably right where you should be paying these days and he plays for the leagues worst team. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

We'll have no problem trading or keeping ROR in 3 years. Moulson coming off the books alone makes up for ROR salary basically.

We have no cap issues now and after next season Moulson (3.975), Pommers (5.6), and Baloo (2.4) all come off the cap.

So he's not being actively shopped, but JBot will listen to offers for anyone not named Eichel (and Dahlin).  Got it.

....and Casey

he has  a great contract. He costs 125k per point which is probably right where you should be paying these days and he plays for the leagues worst team.

+1

I have zero problem with Jbot moving out TM’s failed acquisitions, but this isn’t one of them.

I agree. Plus he's only 27. By the time his contract ends he'll only be 31 so it's not like we're at risk of having to pay him for a bunch of declining years.

Edited by Alkoholist

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.