Toronto Roster vs Buffalo Roster - Are we closer?

GASabresIUFAN

Since 2012 Toronto has added 1st rd talent Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander and soon Lilijgren. They also traded for 2014 1st rd pick Kapanen. Toronto also has depth from Kadri (1st -7th overall in 2009), Gardiner (1st - 17th overall 2008), JVR (1st-2nd overall 2007) and late rd picks Komarov, Hyman and Brown.

Toronto had 10 players with over 40 pts, including 3 with 60+ and 4 at 50+. In addition they had 3 30 goals scorers and another 3 20+ goal scorers.

During the same time period we have added Girgnensons, Ristolainen, Reinhart, and Eichel with Dahlin and Mittelstadt coming soons. We also traded away Zadorov and Grigorenko and still have Nylander on the farm.

We had 5 players (not including Kane) with over 40 pts, and only 3 20+ goal scorers.

Obviously the Leafs are ahead of the Sabres, but will the additions of Dahlin, Mittelstadt and Guhle full time next season help close the gap?

The comparison

Jack (2nd in 2015) 209gm 73-104= 177 vs Matthews (1st in 2016) 144gm 74-58=132

Sam (2nd in 2014) 249gm 65-75=140 vs Nylander (8th in 2014) 185gm 48-87=135

Casey (8th in 2017) 6gm 1-4=5 vs Marner (4th in 2015) 159gm 41-89=130

Risto (8th in 2013) 346gm 31-120=151 vs Rielly (5th in 2012) 388gm 31-140=177

Dahlin (1st in 2018) vs Liljigren (17th in 2017)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

If Dahlin is the perennial Norris candidate he is purported to be, it would be very difficult for the Sabres not to become a contender for a lengthy stretch during his and Eichel’s primes.

I cannot recall a team that had both an elite centre and an elite defenceman yet remained among the dregs of the league.

Botts doesn’t have to be great in building a supporting cast, just competent.

Just hope we don’t have to wait another three years.

How so? We have the best core in the league now

That remains to be seen.

We can surmise that the probability is high that we will have an awesome duo with Eichel and Dahlin, but that still doesn't put us on an even level with Toronto's roster as whole, which is what this is about. 

And let's face it, the only change we've made to a last place team is adding Dahlin.  The roster still has a ways to go to get to Toronto level.

That remains to be seen.

We can surmise that the probability is high that we will have an awesome duo with Eichel and Dahlin, but that still doesn't put us on an even level with Toronto's roster as whole, which is what this is about. 

And let's face it, the only change we've made to a last place team is adding Dahlin.  The roster still has a ways to go to get to Toronto level.

All fair and true points. I'm interested to see just how much of our waste is shipped off/replaced this summer

Guhle, Dahlin, Mittle and at least 3 others will be added this Summer. It's not just Dahlin that will be added.

Don't expect a lot from Gule and Mittelstadt. We still desperately need wingers across the board, a goalie, and a bottom 6 entirely 

That remains to be seen.

And let's face it, the only change we've made to a last place team is adding Dahlin. The roster still has a ways to go to get to Toronto level.

Casey Mittelstadt?

Brendon Guhle?

I’d argue that if Pilut can play, our defense with Risto Scandella, Dahlin, McCabe, Guhle and Pilut/Bogo/Nelson is likely better then the group inTor.

Guhle, Dahlin, Mittle and at least 3 others will be added this Summer. It's not just Dahlin that will be added.

Don't expect a lot from Gule and Mittelstadt. We still desperately need wingers across the board, a goalie, and a bottom 6 entirely

Botterill is on record saying that CJ Smith, Sean Malone and Olofsson were pleasant surprises to him. The former should make the team in October or be amongst the first call ups.

60 points for Casey is not out of the question next season and Guhle might need October/November in Rochester as he wasn’t himself in the playoffs.

And Toronto also has McDermott, who has a segment of their fan base more excited then Lilligren

Botterill is on record saying that CJ Smith, Sean Malone and Olofsson were pleasant surprises to him. The former should make the team in October or be amongst the first call ups.

60 points for Casey is not out of the question next season and Guhle might need October/November in Rochester as he wasn’t himself in the playoffs.

And Toronto also has McDermott, who has a segment of their fan base more excited then Lilligren

By next season, do you mean '18-'19 or '19-'20?

Because if you expect 60 points out of Mittelstadt this year, you seem to have taken in a bit too much exuberance from the events of this past week. ;)

By next season, do you mean '18-'19 or '19-'20?

Because if you expect 60 points out of Mittelstadt this year, you seem to have taken in a bit too much exuberance from the events of this past week. ;)

Not necessarily, if the Sabres keep ROR to continue in the 2C Role and Casey is the 3C that should free him up to score points and I expect both PP Units to be better with Dahlin and Risto.

Even if his PPG drops to .6 that’s still 50 points over 82 games. And Barzal although a year old had 85 points in the 2C Role this season.

And yes I have been watching Dahlin’s 100 feet tape to tape passes to streaking teammates on a loop and I expect Casey to be the beneficiary of many of those passes next year.

I'm not sure why people are convinced Toronto is that much better off. They had a better season but are up against a lot of hard decisions.  This off season and their performance next season will tell us what we need to know.

Don't discount the Edmonton and Colorado effect.  One of those teams was a darling to go deeper in the playoffs this year and didn't make it.  The other was the laughing stock of the league and yet made the playoffs this year.

I feel like Toronto needs to prove itself next year.  The Sabres are literally at the point where it's nothing but up from here.

Not necessarily, if the Sabres keep ROR to continue in the 2C Role and Casey is the 3C that should free him up to score points and I expect both PP Units to be better with Dahlin and Risto.

Even if his PPG drops to .6 that’s still 50 points over 82 games. And Barzal although a year old had 85 points in the 2C Role this season.

And yes I have been watching Dahlin’s 100 feet tape to tape passes to streaking teammates on a loop and I expect Casey to be the beneficiary of many of those passes next year.

The only way IMHO that Mittelstadt hits 60 points this year is by being Eichel's LW AND getting time on the top PP and catching an unreal shooting %age.

If he is the #3 C and only on PP2 he will have a hard time hitting 50 pts. There simply aren't enough quality W's to allow a rookie 3C hit a 0.75PPG pace over an entire season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.