Amerks playoff thread

inkman

Just so everyone is clear on this: Syracuse was the favoured team in this series - a better season and a much better second half, plus they were in the finals last year.

Might have been missed in all the Amerk’s hype the Sabres have been spewing.

Good point. And I don’t think the extent of how bad the Amerks second half was got enough play. But can’t really blame the media for not harping on that, I guess :/

Just so everyone is clear on this: Syracuse was the favoured team in this series - a better season and a much better second half, plus they were in the finals last year.

Might have been missed in all the Amerk’s hype the Sabres have been spewing.

That all is true. But pretty sure Syracuse didn't get about 7 players back into their lineup 10 days ago.

Come on Amerks, win at least 1 game & then take it from there.

I watch a lot of games and I saw a real decline after the break. All the senseless call ups to a bottom feeder team left me queasy. We were in a position to gain momentum and do some damage but the decision was made to disrupt forward progress for “evaluation” of how well players x,y and z would perform in the NHL. Good philosophy if your big club is poised for anything other than dead last. If the organization was looking to build a winner from the inside out, then they’ve failed miserably. Next years graduating class is going to miss out on round two training because of poor management.

That all is true. But pretty sure Syracuse didn't get about 7 players back into their lineup 10 days ago.

Come on Amerks, win at least 1 game & then take it from there.

The players they got back were AHLers who should have been kept in Rochester. It's not like they got a bunch of NHLers. Syracuse was pretty much left alone to gel in the 2nd half.

The players they got back were AHLers who should have been kept in Rochester. It's not like they got a bunch of NHLers. Syracuse was pretty much left alone to gel in the 2nd half.

Guhle, Bailey, & Ullmark earned their time w/ the big club. Nelson looked better in Buffalo than reports made it sound like he'd played in Ra-cha-cha.

I watch a lot of games and I saw a real decline after the break. All the senseless call ups to a bottom feeder team left me queasy. We were in a position to gain momentum and do some damage but the decision was made to disrupt forward progress for “evaluation” of how well players x,y and z would perform in the NHL. Good philosophy if your big club is poised for anything other than dead last. If the organization was looking to build a winner from the inside out, then they’ve failed miserably. Next years graduating class is going to miss out on round two training because of poor management.

I agree with this. Roch had a poor second half. CJ Smith injury hurt them as well. The Ullmark call up was baffling.

Baffling how? Lehner was hurt to end the season, and you need two goalies...

"hurt"

Ullmark needed to stay in Roch the entire season.   The only reason they should've called him up was to start games in BUF.     He sat on the bench for weeks it seemed.    If they just needed a warm body, then call up Wilcox to sit on the bench so Ullmark can continue his development with game action.   Or sign somebody to backup CJ. 

"hurt"

Ullmark needed to stay in Roch the entire season.   The only reason they should've called him up was to start games in BUF.     He sat on the bench for weeks it seemed.    If they just needed a warm body, then call up Wilcox to sit on the bench so Ullmark can continue his development with game action.   Or sign somebody to backup CJ. 

Ah yes, a Lehner isn't hurt conspiracy is less baffling than calling up your AHL goalie when your starter goes down 

Ah yes, a Lehner isn't hurt conspiracy is less baffling than calling up your AHL goalie when your starter goes down

It would have been reasonable if the Sabres were in the playoff hunt, but since they were out and Botts says he wants to establish winning in Rochester, Ullmark should have stayed. They were still competing for home ice advantage.

It would have been reasonable if the Sabres were in the playoff hunt, but since they were out and Botts says he wants to establish winning in Rochester, Ullmark should have stayed. They were still competing for home ice advantage.

At one point the Amerks held first place. They held a firm grip on second until the break. Injuries. Call ups. Yada yada coasting into the playoffs. Coasting. That’s not a good thing.

Who knows. Maybe they win tonight? Maybe they rediscover what they had first half?

Down 5-2 looking every bit as disjointed as the Sabres. My hope has been eviscerated. I don't have MSG currently and I might not bother to get it. This org has flushed every ounce of optimism I ever had. I have the utmost confidence the Bills will be consistently better than the Sabres and I don't think the Bills are going to be good anytime soon. Maybe I can root for Vaaayguus (the Uber weird Canadian pronunciation).

Down 5-2 looking every bit as disjointed as the Sabres. My hope has been eviscerated. I don't have MSG currently and I might not bother to get it. This org has flushed every ounce of optimism I ever had. I have the utmost confidence the Bills will be consistently better than the Sabres and I don't think the Bills are going to be good anytime soon. Maybe I can root for Vaaayguus (the Uber weird Canadian pronunciation).

2017/18 is now completely Dahlin or bust for this organization.

There was a point a few years ago when Rex was ruining the Bills and the Sabres just got Eichel and O'Reilly and I told myself the Sabres would make the Stanley Cup before the Bills made the playoffs. Now, I'm pretty sure I'll never see a Buffalo championship before both teams are gone. The entire Sabres organization is either full of massive underachievers, or they just plain suck. Starting to lose my patience. I myself am hoping for a Vegas/Tampa matchup.

2017/18 is now completely Dahlin or bust for this organization.

This week will end with the Bills not getting a QB and the Sabres ending up with pick #4. Because that's how Buffalo do!

I think I read last night that Syracuse is the youngest team in the league. And Roc is a veteran squad built to win. Supposedly. Ugh.

The crunch do have 12 players 22 or under. They also have Eric Condra, mat Bodie and Oliver archiambeau. All of which are 25 or older with Condra having a decade of NHL experience. They have a good mix and most importantly they played together all year. This was JBots biggest failure. Some of it was unavoidable but I think they could have tried a little harder to keep the band intact. Unfortunately, they only had their full complement of players the first few weeks of the season and the last week.

Syracuse had 7 rookies.  Seven very good rookies.  And their veterans seemed to goon it up. 

Last year Syracuse was the "runner up" to the Calder Cup.   It was not a massive shame to loose to Syracuse.

What I don't understand is why they didn't play Wilcox in game three.  If the goal is to play in the playoffs,

and your "goalie of the future" is stinking up the joint, then play Wilcox so you can live another day.

It's not like they didn't sit out Fasching or bench Nylander.  Taylor and/or Roch/Buff GMs are to blame for

not at least trying Wilcox in goal.

It's too bad that the Amerks couldn't resign Matt Bodie this year.  Bodie and Redmon playing together would've been a terror on the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.