Would you like to see Terry sell the Sabres?

PASabreFan

Would you like to see Terry sell the Sabres?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Terry sell the Sabres?

• Yes, you've run it into the ground. If you love it, let it go.
    • No, your fandom and wealth will carry the day. Hang in there.
    • Ask me again in 12 months or so.

What's your answer to your thread's question?

Yes. I actually keep waiting for this story to break. There are a couple of clues. At his intro presser, when asked how long he wanted to own the team, he looked toward his kids (the adult ones from his first marriage) and said something to the effect, "A lot has to do with them." I have to go back and listen. I might be slightly off there, but the implication was that one day his kids might take over. That wouldn't necessarily involve selling the team. The other clue is when Ted Black was asked why the Sabres take advantage of revenue sharing when they have a wealthy owner, and he said he couldn't assume Terry and his money would be around forever.

I'm solidly in the camp that the Sabres were prelude to the Bills and that he's lost some interest. Is Terry on the scouting trip to see Darnold? That's really where his action is.

The most fair answer is probably 3. ask me again in a year. Or maybe two or three. Terry distanced himself from the Murray hire, but clearly Botterill was all him. If it doesn't work, not that I expect him to sell the team to punish himself, but how does he give himself another kick at the can? I think he'd be forced to hire a strong hockey president. If Botterill is a dud, that's probably the best case scenario short of a new owner.

For the record, I think Terry was a fan, probably not half the fan most of us are, and he cares. He has put his money where his mouth is. Unfortunately, he's really bad at this owner thing, specifically the assemblage of a competent team of hockey people. And... he meddled. To his credit, I think he stopped.

Yuck.

The editorializing in the "yes" or "no" definitely reflects your view of the Pegulas. It's just not to everyone's taste.

I think the Pegulas have a ton of money, they're willing to spend it on the team, and have their hearts mostly in the right place (to the extent billionaires ever really can). That, to me, is a desirable state of ownership.

They've made a bunch of mistakes, sure. But it's penny wise and pound foolish to wish they'd sell the team.

I agree. The job of redecorating the lockerroom never should have been handed to Kim. So sexist.

The editorializing was meant to be balanced. I don't get the beef. Do you like vanilla ice cream? Yes, it's delicious and perfectly complements whatever topping you like. No, it's too bland and I prefer the stronger taste of chocolate.

Yes. I actually keep waiting for this story to break. There are a couple of clues. At his intro presser, when asked how long he wanted to own the team, he looked toward his kids (the adult ones from his first marriage) and said something to the effect, "A lot has to do with them." I have to go back and listen. I might be slightly off there, but the implication was that one day his kids might take over. That wouldn't necessarily involve selling the team. The other clue is when Ted Black was asked why the Sabres take advantage of revenue sharing when they have a wealthy owner, and he said he couldn't assume Terry and his money would be around forever.

I'm solidly in the camp that the Sabres were prelude to the Bills and that he's lost some interest. Is Terry on the scouting trip to see Darnold? That's really where his action is.

The most fair answer is probably 3. ask me again in a year. Or maybe two or three. Terry distanced himself from the Murray hire, but clearly Botterill was all him. If it doesn't work, not that I expect him to sell the team to punish himself, but how does he give himself another kick at the can? I think he'd be forced to hire a strong hockey president. If Botterill is a dud, that's probably the best case scenario short of a new owner.

For the record, I think Terry was a fan, probably not half the fan most of us are, and he cares. He has put his money where his mouth is. Unfortunately, he's really bad at this owner thing, specifically the assemblage of a competent team of hockey people. And... he meddled. To his credit, I think he stopped.

I agree. The job of redecorating the lockerroom never should have been handed to Kim. So sexist.

The editorializing was meant to be balanced. I don't get the beef. Do you like vanilla ice cream? Yes, it's delicious and perfectly complements whatever topping you like. No, it's too bland and I prefer the stronger taste of chocolate.

I wish we had a strong hockey president and I still worry that the lack of one is hurting us.

Ask me again in 12 months. His decisions cr ated the situation here. I need to see his decisions starting to fix it.

I’d rather have a naive fan owner than a dispassionate owner who’s just looking for a profit.

What if the first has morphed into the second?

I may be voting with my heart and not my head, but this franchise had the fourth best winning percentage of all NHL franchises, and IIRC was at least top 7 in percentage of seasons which saw playoffs, when Terry came in, and are a complete laughingstock now after a series of mistakes that he had varying degrees of input on, and it makes me do things like vote that he should sell the team pls 

I may be voting with my heart and not my head, but this franchise had the fourth best winning percentage of all NHL franchises, and IIRC was at least top 7 in percentage of seasons which saw playoffs, when Terry came in, and are a complete laughingstock now after a series of mistakes that he had varying degrees of input on, and it makes me do things like vote that he should sell the team pls

Amen.

Meanwhile he just brought the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years

I've loved the way the Bills have been handled, after the Rex disaster was fixed. 

This thread wouldn't exist if that success had been anywhere present in the last 7 years. Instead we finished last 3 times

This thread wouldn't exist if we were any other city but Buffalo 

Edited by Jokertecken

Eventually there will be a team owned entirely by fans.

Decisions will be made through online polls, number of votes proportional to the percentage of the team you won. 

We have the technology, it's just a matter of time before it happens. 

Eventually there will be a team owned entirely by fans.

Decisions will be made through online polls, number of votes proportional to the percentage of the team you won. 

We have the technology, it's just a matter of time before it happens. 

This was tried with a soccer team in Wales a few years ago.  It ended... badly.

Disagree. You need to go spend some time on hfboards. Their fanbases are just like ours. 

There were Hawks fans posting about Quenneville needing to go literally during the Stanley Cup parade back in 2010.

They too are calling for an owner who's dumped money into the city and teams, kept two teams here, to sell the team after a few bad seasons?

Can't be any worse than this past Sabres season.

The message boards would become insane. My entire life would become trying to convince as many people as possible to agree with me

*furrows brow in a moment of reflection*

They too are calling for an owner who's dumped money into the city and teams, kept two teams here, to sell the team after a few bad seasons?

If another fanbase went through the identical thing we did, there would be 3-5 fans voting for that option in a poll like this, yes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.