Dan Dunleavy

Eleven

You know, I just don't like him.  And today, I figured out why.

He does a perfectly good job of describing a hockey game.  He really is very good.

There's nothing wrong with his voice.

He's no John Gurtler.  (If you're reading, John, I'm not saying this to be mean; that just wasn't the job for you.)

You know what it is?  I associate his voice with this team sucking.  And that's not his fault, but I forever will.

I'd say he's 95% of the way to very good. I can't forgive his not calling opponents' goals. That's so homer bush league. Rick's a homer of course, but he's always treated the opposition with at least that much respect.

I think you're onto something.

I also think he's too honorable in a way. He's had some very, very good and exciting calls of Sabres goals, calls that you can imagine would sound great if they were playoff goals. But I don't think he's willing to go over the top on a call of a meaningless goal. And we're used to that from Rick. It's in our DNA and we need that. The rare occasion of a Sabres goal, even when they're down 5-0, should invite mayhem and craziness.

Dan is much more in the Ted Darling mold.

Nice guy who's really had no luck in this job. I hope he and the Sabres mutually part ways and he has success somewhere else. Or even with the Sabres in a different role. And maybe that role could be radio, with someone else doing TV?

Edited by PASabreFan

Honestly, I know Hamilton has his opponents here when it comes to his coverage of the Sabs, but if you ever heard him do play-by-play (he did a couple of Sabs games a few years ago on audition), he's fantastic at that.

I liked him in that roll as well.

I'd say he's 95% of the way to very good. I can't forgive his not calling opponents' goals. That's so homer bush league. Rick's a homer of course, but he's always treated the opposition with at least that much respect.

I'm not sure what that means.  He usually uses a disappointed-sounding "and they score," but he does describe it before and and after.

I think that we have been spoiled with Ted Darling and, especially, RJ.

Therefore, it is very difficult to accept that there will be and is a RJ replacement.

It's almost as if a dear loved one is in the final stages of passing on ... ALMOST ... and I am in a sort of mourning process.

I think that we have been spoiled with Ted Darling and, especially, RJ.

Therefore, it is very difficult to accept that there will be and is a RJ replacement.

It's almost as if a dear loved one is in the final stages of passing on ... ALMOST ... and I am in a sort of mourning process.

"The Long Goodbye."

I'm not sure what that means.  He usually uses a disappointed-sounding "and they score," but he does describe it before and and after.

I'm not denying that he describes things before and after. But I can give you a million examples like this: "Ovechkin in... long pause... Washington's in an early lead."

I don't want to just be harsh or bash the guy but I respectfully(and I mean it )disagree with those who think he's good. I think he's probably a very nice man, intelligent and would do well in a radio or television role with the Sabres. Having said that I think he's a terrible play by play announcer. On radio I quit listening because for the life of me I couldn't discern what was happening when it was happening. On TV it's different because I'm seeing it.

I think you're onto something.

I also think he's too honorable in a way. He's had some very, very good and exciting calls of Sabres goals, calls that you can imagine would sound great if they were playoff goals. But I don't think he's willing to go over the top on a call of a meaningless goal. And we're used to that from Rick. It's in our DNA and we need that. The rare occasion of a Sabres goal, even when they're down 5-0, should invite mayhem and craziness.

Dan is much more in the Ted Darling mold.

Nice guy who's really had no luck in this job. I hope he and the Sabres mutually part ways and he has success somewhere else. Or even with the Sabres in a different role. And maybe that role could be radio, with someone else doing TV?

I noticed on the last couple games that it seemed like he did say scores on the opponent goals. Leaving those notes on Pegula's doorstep must have worked, well done! :)

I don't want to just be harsh or bash the guy but I respectfully(and I mean it )disagree with those who think he's good. I think he's probably a very nice man, intelligent and would do well in a radio or television role with the Sabres. Having said that I think he's a terrible play by play announcer. On radio I quit listening because for the life of me I couldn't discern what was happening when it was happening. On TV it's different because I'm seeing it.

He is awful. We need somebody who can paint a picture for those listening on the radio. RJ is amazing at that. It's like you can see the ice.

With Dunleavy, you don't even know who's zone it's in, who has possession, and God help you if a goal is scored... especially by the opposing team.

And then there's never updating you on the score, the time, etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot- if he's making commentary, or going off on a tangent/giving an anecdote, and then an exciting play happens, he doesn't TELL you what the play was, HE JUST STARTS GETTING LOUDER TALKING ABOUT THE ANECDOTE!

What an amateur!!

Edited by erickompositör72

I like Dan. I think he calls a good game for TV. Maybe even really good. Nobody can replace RJ. In fact, he might be the only TV PBP guy capable of having his call work for radio. There are others (like the Detroit TV guy) who don't call anything. They're just awful.

Dan is a good and earnest man.

He does a capable job in calling a game on TV.

For a radio call, I do better to have my youngest read play by play updates on a real time score app (which I have done).

Dan’s refusal to say “score(s)” when an opponent notches a goal is inexplicable.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.