Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

His numbers last year deserve way more credit than “weren’t pathetic.” They were nearly number one numbers. He fell just short of 1,000 yards and was their best target all year. He only got better when Jimmy G came in which is a very good sign for them.

This is what I had in mind. I seem to recall several very strong games from him once the new QB arrived. Of course, it seems safe to presume that no one was scheming for him like a true #1 for those games. But he has never projected as a stud WR1. 

ESPN suggested Khalil Mack could become a trade candidate which is the perfect storm for the Bills. They obviously blew the Sammy pick and should’ve taken Mack from the start (I have receipts of me calling it out the moment it happened).

He’s holding out and has yet to speak with or meet with Jon Gruden since he was hired. Gruden actually insulted him by saying the defense wasn’t good with Mack last year indicating he’s not concerned about him not being there. Mack has spent the entire offseason working out in Buffalo and has said several times he felt like Watkins “stole his city” by getting picked there at 4.

ESPN said a first round pick could entice Oakland. I imagine it’d take more than that but it’s an easy deal to make if you’re the Bills. Especially considering they are in great cap position after this season.

So Coleman was chosen #15 overall 2 years ago, had 69 yards in his 1st game, 104 yards in his 2nd game and then broke his hand.  Then in his 2nd year, he caught 5 passes for 53 yards in the opener and then broke his hand again in week 2.  He then missed 2 months and had a few good games and a few lousy games after returning.

The WGR guys had an interview yesterday with one of the Cleveland reporters, who said that in addition to the injuries, Coleman exhibited a pretty good amount of meatheaded behavior -- late for practice, bad diet, buddies with criminal elements, etc.  So he could use the trade as a learning experience, or he might not.

But the potential is there.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

ESPN suggested Khalil Mack could become a trade candidate which is the perfect storm for the Bills. They obviously blew the Sammy pick and should’ve taken Mack from the start (I have receipts of me calling it out the moment it happened).

He’s holding out and has yet to speak with or meet with Jon Gruden since he was hired. Gruden actually insulted him by saying the defense wasn’t good with Mack last year indicating he’s not concerned about him not being there. Mack has spent the entire offseason working out in Buffalo and has said several times he felt like Watkins “stole his city” by getting picked there at 4.

ESPN said a first round pick could entice Oakland. I imagine it’d take more than that but it’s an easy deal to make if you’re the Bills. Especially considering they are in great cap position after this season.

I'm down with this, but not for any of the story line line reasons (because it just feels right, or would be cool, or whatever). I'm not saying that's where you're coming from, btw. I'd want it to happen only if it truly fits into what the team is otherwise trying to do. Like, would Mack be able to take over for Alexander? And would paying that position that amount of money fit into what the team wants to build? If so, have at it.

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So Coleman was chosen #15 overall 2 years ago, had 69 yards in his 1st game, 104 yards in his 2nd game and then broke his hand.  Then in his 2nd year, he caught 5 passes for 53 yards in the opener and then broke his hand again in week 2.  He then missed 2 months and had a few good games and a few lousy games after returning.

The WGR guys had an interview yesterday with one of the Cleveland reporters, who said that in addition to the injuries, Coleman exhibited a pretty good amount of meatheaded behavior -- late for practice, bad diet, buddies with criminal elements, etc.  So he could use the trade as a learning experience, or he might not.

But the potential is there.

If true about his off-field stuff, it is a somewhat curious acquisition. I am really hoping he stays healthy and lights it up.

Btw, someone Tweeted (is it upthread too?) about how the Bills blew it when they traded with CLE to get Watkins, and so now it's almost like payback plucking a talented young WR from them for next to nothing.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm down with this, but not for any of the story line line reasons (because it just feels right, or would be cool, or whatever). I'm not saying that's where you're coming from, btw. I'd want it to happen only if it truly fits into what the team is otherwise trying to do. Like, would Mack be able to take over for Alexander? And would paying that position that amount of money fit into what the team wants to build? If so, have at it.

The second position worth paying after QB is edge rusher right now. And Mack is among the best. He’s a top five defensive player in the league and somewhere in the top 15 for all positions.

He fits because he can fill roles they’ve already had on the team and because he’s too good not to. He can play legitimately any spot in the front seven. An unreal talent in the team’s backyard that they missed out on.

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The second position worth paying after QB is edge rusher right now. And Mack is among the best. He’s a top five defensive player in the league and somewhere in the top 15 for all positions.

He fits because he can fill roles they’ve already had on the team and because he’s too good not to. He can play legitimately any spot in the front seven. An unreal talent in the team’s backyard that they missed out on.

Well, now, maybe you are coming from the "hometown guy" "it'd be so damn cool" angle, at least in part.

I trust Beane and McDermott to stick to their plan, and try to make it work (hopefully it will). If Mack fits into that plan, then go get him. 

But, please. We had our Mario Williams episode. I don't need another splashy FA signing just because the guy's an absolute beast, etc.

29 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Mario Williams was worth every single penny we signed him for

Yup. And Khalil Mack is twice the player he was.

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, now, maybe you are coming from the "hometown guy" "it'd be so damn cool" angle, at least in part.

I trust Beane and McDermott to stick to their plan, and try to make it work (hopefully it will). If Mack fits into that plan, then go get him. 

But, please. We had our Mario Williams episode. I don't need another splashy FA signing just because the guy's an absolute beast, etc.

Mack fits every team’s plan. You’re overcomplicating this. And because I added one line about where he played college ball it’s all because of the “hometown” thing? (He’s from Florida). This is a rare time a superstar seems to want to be in Buffalo badly. Or, at least, wanted to.

Edited by Hoss

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Mack fits every team’s plan. You’re overcomplicating this. And because I added one line about where he played college ball it’s all because of the “hometown” thing? (He’s from Florida). This is a rare time a superstar seems to want to be in Buffalo badly. Or, at least, wanted to.

And I think you may be over-simplifying the matter. He's a terrific talent, sure.

But, for starters, what of the overall architecture of Beane's roster and salary cap model for the franchise? Does McDermott's approach favour the signing of a high-price-tag stud edge rusher? Given McDermott's apparent preference for rotating fresh players in on the D-line, I'm not so sure.

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

You're really good at posting gifs that make absolutely no sense.

Almost all of the gifs on here don't make sense to me. I don't know what movies or shows they're from or what they're supposed to mean.

I do know that Mario Williams was a good signing.

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Almost all of the gifs on here don't make sense to me. I don't know what movies or shows they're from or what they're supposed to mean.

I do know that Mario Williams was a good signing.

Right click, then view image info.

That one is an "excuse me gif"

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, shrader said:

Now, now. Don't be obtuse. That would require me to post my favourite line from Andy Dufresne.

I have no idea where that .gif is from -- but the actor is, to my eye, clearly doing a "the wha-- now?!" double take.

So I'll be even more clear: The Mario Williams signing worked out for the Bills? How so?

ALSO. I admit that I have become an absolute fool for posting media up in here, now that the site's been upgraded and it's so easy to do it.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Now, now. Don't be obtuse. That would require me to post my favourite line from Andy Dufresne.

I have no idea where that .gif is from -- but the actor is, to my eye, clearly doing a "the wha-- now?!" double take.

So I'll be even more clear: The Mario Williams signing worked out for the Bills? How so?

He was a really good defensive end for while.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He was a really good defensive end for while.

I've never done any kind of post mortem on the thing. My working sense was that, since the team didn't really improve much with him, the signing was a failed venture or experiment. He was here for, what, 4 seasons? Earned ~$67.5M cash over that time? $16.85 per year?

/does minimal Googling

The most recent splash the Bills made in free agency was in 2012 when they signed defensive end Mario Williams to, at the time, the largest contract in history to a defensive player.

Williams played four seasons in Buffalo (2012-2015). For the most part, Williams lived up to his lucrative contract, racking up 145 tackles and 43 sacks in his tenure with the Bills. Williams constructed two straight Pro Bowl seasons (2013, 2014), earning First-team All-Pro honors once (2014).

Williams, coupled with Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes, formed one of the NFL’s most dominant defensive lines in recent history. Their front four broke Buffalo’s sack record in 2013 (57 sacks), totaling 111 sacks in two seasons (2013, 2014) while finishing with the fourth-best defense in 2014.

Edited by That Aud Smell

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I've never done any kind of post mortem on the thing. My working sense was that, since the team didn't really improve much with him, the signing was a failed venture or experiment. He was here for, what, 4 seasons? Earned ~$67.5M cash over that time? $16.85 per year?

/does minimal Googling

The most recent splash the Bills made in free agency was in 2012 when they signed defensive end Mario Williams to, at the time, the largest contract in history to a defensive player.

Williams played four seasons in Buffalo (2012-2015). For the most part, Williams lived up to his lucrative contract, racking up 145 tackles and 43 sacks in his tenure with the Bills. Williams constructed two straight Pro Bowl seasons (2013, 2014), earning First-team All-Pro honors once (2014).

Williams, coupled with Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes, formed one of the NFL’s most dominant defensive lines in recent history. Their front four broke Buffalo’s sack record in 2013 (57 sacks), totaling 111 sacks in two seasons (2013, 2014) while finishing with the fourth-best defense in 2014.

The guy was a stud until Ryan got here.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

The guy was a stud until Ryan got here.  

Right. I'd forgotten that. Rex made Mario fit his system, not vice versa.

In retrospect, Mario was also in decline at that point, I suppose. But, yeah - I guess he mostly lived up to his end of his deal.

Also, he gave us this (which remains one of my favourite Buffalo athlete things ever):

https://www.instagram.com/p/vpDf5ppy2J/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by That Aud Smell

24 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Right. I'd forgotten that. Rex made Mario fit his system, not vice versa.

In retrospect, Mario was also in decline at that point, I suppose. But, yeah - I guess he mostly lived up to his end of his deal.

Also, he gave us this (which remains one of my favourite Buffalo athlete things ever):

https://www.instagram.com/p/vpDf5ppy2J/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

He set a career high 14.5 sacks the year before Rex arrived.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.