Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Is this you just making stuff up?

Nope

Wow. That certainly helps shore up that line a bit. Need to see what the deal is.

@AdamSchefter
Former Panthers’ DT Star Lotulelei intends to sign a 5-year deal with the Buffalo Bills when free agency opens, source tells ESPN.

But, goddammit, take your shot, Bills.

Although, I just read something about how the Bills want Josh Allen.

I’m not on board with this process if it ends with that guy.

See the problem?

There is no Andrew Luck in this draft.

There's not even a Carson Wentz in this draft.

See the problem?

Nobody thought Carson Wentz would be 'a Carson Wentz' at the time of that draft either

FWIW PFF does not think highly of our new DT

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/star-lotulelei/7795

Benjamin Albright a radio host in Denver mentioned watch the Bills and Colts as trading partners. As Charlie brought up from another source.

He has a record of being correct.

Unfortunately he also predicted in a tweet on January 25th that the Bills would move up for Josh Allen. This would destroy my trust in the process.

Drew Brees re-signs with the Saints 2/50 Million. 27 Million guaranteed

Nobody thought Carson Wentz would be 'a Carson Wentz' at the time of that draft either

FWIW PFF does not think highly of our new DT

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/star-lotulelei/7795

"However, Wentz began to be regarded as a Top 10 prospect after his pro day"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Wentz

I know it's wikipedia.  Still, the guy was drafted 2 overall.  

I can use Mitch Trubisky as an example if you prefer.

See the problem?

Rosen is probably on a similar level to what Wentz was. But there's no real way to know that at this point. In 2016 everyone was saying "well there's no Mariota or Winston in this draft". 

I've got guys I like, so do they, get the guy you want, not the guy who's left.

"However, Wentz began to be regarded as a Top 10 prospect after his pro day"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Wentz

I know it's wikipedia.  Still, the guy was drafted 2 overall.  

I mean Rosen's name since he entered college has been Rosen the Chosen. And Mayfield shattered records, won a Heisman, and played in the greatest Rose Bowl of all time. Then there's Darnold who as a Sophomore was supposed to win the Heisman after an incredible freshman year. As far as 'hype' goes and expectations for QBs, I'd say they're much higher for those 3 than they ever were for Wentz

Benjamin Albright a radio host in Denver mentioned watch the Bills and Colts as trading partners. As Charlie brought up from another source.

He has a record of being correct.

Unfortunately he also predicted in a tweet on January 25th that the Bills would move up for Josh Allen. This would destroy my trust in the process.

Drew Brees re-signs with the Saints 2/50 Million. 27 Million guaranteed

Imagine all of these awesome, aggressive moves and then picking Josh Allen  :lol:

"However, Wentz began to be regarded as a Top 10 prospect after his pro day" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Wentz

I know it's wikipedia. Still, the guy was drafted 2 overall.

I'm confused. Are you saying Wentz and Trubisky were clearly better prospects than anyone in this draft?

Lotulelei is 6'2", 315 lbs.  He'll turn 29 at the end of this coming season.  He was the 14th pick in the draft in 2013.  He's played 5 seasons, 3 of which he played all 16 games, and played 14 games in the other 2 seasons.  He's from Tonga and played college football at Utah.

Obviously McD and BB know him well and like him.

Good enough for me.

I mean Rosen's name since he entered college has been Rosen the Chosen. And Mayfield shattered records, won a Heisman, and played in the greatest Rose Bowl of all time. Then there's Darnold who as a Sophomore was supposed to win the Heisman after an incredible freshman year. As far as 'hype' goes and expectations for QBs, I'd say they're much higher for those 3 than they ever were for Wentz

Imagine all of these awesome, aggressive moves and then picking Josh Allen  :lol:

I'm not talking about hype.  I'm talking about ability.

Lotulelei is 6'2", 315 lbs. He'll turn 29 at the end of this coming season. He was the 14th pick in the draft in 2013. He's played 5 seasons, 3 of which he played all 16 games, and played 14 games in the other 2 seasons. He's from Tonga and played college football at Utah.

Obviously McD and BB know him well and like him.

Good enough for me.

Mike Tolbert. :p

Rosen is probably on a similar level to what Wentz was. But there's no real way to know that at this point. In 2016 everyone was saying "well there's no Mariota or Winston in this draft". 

I've got guys I like, so do they, get the guy you want, not the guy who's left.

And Kansas City liked Todd Blackledge more than Jim Kelly or Dan Marino. No one is saying not to move up, but if you do you're risking even more potential assets doing it. You better be sure (and I don't think anyone really is with these guys) you're getting Elway, Kelly, or Marino and not Blackledge, Euson, or O'Brian.

I'm confused. Are you saying Wentz and Trubisky were clearly better prospects than anyone in this draft?

To my eyes, yes.

I keep hearing comparisons between this year and 1983.  But this year, I see a whole lot of Todd Blackledge and Kenny O'Brien, and not so much Elway or Marino.

And Kansas City liked Todd Blackledge more than Jim Kelly or Dan Marino. No one is saying not to move up, but if you do you're risking even more potential assets doing it. You better be sure (and I don't think anyone really is with these guys) you're getting Elway, Kelly, or Marino and not Blackledge, Euson, or O'Brian.

Beat me right to it!

That was the greatest QB draft in history and the Chiefs borked it up taking the one guy who wasn't great. I'm not saying they can't screw it up still, but they give themselves the best chance to get the best.

How about: you could be the Bills in the 2004 draft and get Losman instead of Eli, Rivers, or Roethlisberger? 

Also, they will still have a full draft (minus a 7th) even if they have to spend both firsts, a second, and a third to move up.

Getting a little more worried about the Star signing. 5 years is a long time for a guy thats 28/29. 

I don't think we can evaluate this until we have the contract deets.  There are certainly contract structures that result in little to no cap hit if they cut him before the end of the contract.

There's no way to be sure.  I agree with you that I don't want McD and BB to give away all of their picks to move up -- and their trades last year at the draft indicate that they aren't shy about doing so -- but at the same time I think they've earned the right to go after the guy they like best.  If it crashes and burns -- that will be an important factor in how we evaluate them.

See the problem?

I understand that there are risks. But the idea of waiting around until there's a sure-fire prospect available is not a workable strategy, as far as I'm concerned. What if the year there is a Luck-like prospect at QB (or even 2!), your team is slotted to draft 9th, 14th, or even 21st, and there's NO way the teams in the top-3 are trading out because they each need a QB?

That's the most likely scenario, in fact.

This is a year with several promising QB prospects. Figure out which one you like the best, and then take your shot. Sign a veteran so that, hopefully, you don't need to play the kid in year 1 (e.g., Mahomes), and then develop the prospect into an NFL-ready QB. 

And say a few Hail Mary's, too.

Getting a little more worried about the Star signing. 5 years is a long time for a guy thats 28/29. 

Term worries me not. Gotta hear about the guaranteed money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.