Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Run and stop the run. Unf***ing believable 

Schopp's head just exploded. One time he went through the weather records for Bills home games. It was decidedly unimpressive in terms of snow and cold and the need to, well, I won't say it...

Is there anything to be made of the fact that the Bills former interim coach, Anthony Lynn, has done well with San Diego?

Or is that mostly a case of inheriting a great QB situation and having a talent-laden roster?

I'm asking. Has Lynn shown signs of being a forward offensive minded head coach?

One thing I know for damn sure: I'd rather the Bills would have retained Lynn than muddled through a blowhard buffoon and a faith-based process maven.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is there anything to be made of the fact that the Bills former interim coach, Anthony Lynn, has done well with San Diego?

Or is that mostly a case of inheriting a great QB situation and having a talent-laden roster?

I'm asking. Has Lynn shown signs of being a forward offensive minded head coach?

One thing I know for damn sure: I'd rather the Bills would have retained Lynn than muddled through a blowhard buffoon and a faith-based process maven.

I feel like you need to allow a little more time for this one.  Lynn hasn't done anything yet.  He needs to keep this season in gear and then I'd say it's worth the question.  The QB thing though?  Yeah, that's definitely a huge factor.

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

I feel like you need to allow a little more time for this one.  Lynn hasn't done anything yet.  He needs to keep this season in gear and then I'd say it's worth the question.  The QB thing though?  Yeah, that's definitely a huge factor.

Bills had the opportunity to draft Watson or Mahomes, they chose to dismantle the offense and draft Allen because they believe that it is cold and Buffalo so you have to run the football in a league that is a pass first league. McDermott should be fire today but sadly we have another season of them sucking before that happens. 

33 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm not sure what's meant by "hasn't done anything yet." He's coached a bunch of NFL games. My sense is that he's had a winning record while with San Diego. That's something.

I don't watch the Chargers play very much. I just wonder what his team looks like -- what their offensive principles are and such.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bills had the opportunity to draft Watson or Mahomes, they chose to dismantle the offense and draft Allen because they believe that it is cold and Buffalo so you have to run the football in a league that is a pass first league. McDermott should be fire today but sadly we have another season of them sucking before that happens. 

Credit to jeffismagic for his Mahomes love. True was huge on him too, and I liked him to start (quickly turned against him just to mess with jeff), but man is that guy the truth.

Also, I miss that psycho jeffismagic. Glorious maniac that he was

Edited by WildCard

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Credit to jeffismagic for his Mahomes love. True was huge on him too, and I liked him to start (quickly turned against him just to mess with jeff), but man is that guy the truth.

Also, I miss the psycho jeffismagic. Glorious maniac that he was

that guy was indeed a maniac.

as for mahomes, i mostly still believe that he's flourishing the way he is in large part because of the coaches, scheme, system, and the time he was given to acclimate. that is to say: he wasn't gonna go and set the NFL on fire regardless of where he landed.

that said, you see him do stuff where it's like -- yeah, the talent he showed in college has translated to the NFL. he's pretty g-damn amazing.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

that guy was indeed a maniac.

as for mahomes, i mostly still believe that he's flourishing the way he is in large part because of the coaches, scheme, system, and the time he was given to acclimate. that is to say: he wasn't gonna go and set the NFL on fire regardless of where he landed.

that said, you see him do stuff where it's like -- yeah, the talent he showed in college has translated to the NFL. he's pretty g-damn amazing.

I mean, if he was flourishing like he is because of all of that...why didn't Alex Smith? He had the same stuff, sans Watkins. I think Bills fans falling back on coach/system/players around him are really just relying on a coping mechanism for the fact we traded out of that spot and we're now watching QBs either incapable of completing a pass, or incapable of completing a pass to the right team.

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Also, I miss that psycho jeffismagic. Glorious maniac that he was

He was my QB2 that year! Sure, Kizer was my QB1, but I had the order pretty well set: Kizer > Mahomes > Watson > Trubisky. Obviously I was WAY off on Kizer (I'm a Notre Dame homer, leave me alone), but I'd still keep the rest of the order the same.

• Like (+1) 1

The rest of the quote from McDermott, btw:

That said, as the game has evolved over the years, it's become a pass driven league. You need to be able to throw the ball from a dropback standpoint when you have to throw the ball. Whether it's two minute or third downs or the red zone, those are big parts of game."

Does that change anyone’s view of the matter?

I still think it reflects an antiquated view of offensive foobaw. 

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The rest of the quote from McDermott, btw:

That said, as the game has evolved over the years, it's become a pass driven league. You need to be able to throw the ball from a dropback standpoint when you have to throw the ball. Whether it's two minute or third downs or the red zone, those are big parts of game."

Does that change anyone’s view of the matter?

I still think it reflects an antiquated view of offensive foobaw. 

Nope. The first part of the quote didn't quite tilt me the way it tilted some, either. I don't need McDermott to tell me what his philosophy is in words--he does so in actions. And his actions say he's as old school as old school comes.

38 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I mean, if he was flourishing like he is because of all of that...why didn't Alex Smith? He had the same stuff, sans Watkins. I think Bills fans falling back on coach/system/players around him are really just relying on a coping mechanism for the fact we traded out of that spot and we're now watching QBs either incapable of completing a pass, or incapable of completing a pass to the right team.

He was my QB2 that year! Sure, Kizer was my QB1, but I had the order pretty well set: Kizer > Mahomes > Watson > Trubisky. Obviously I was WAY off on Kizer (I'm a Notre Dame homer, leave me alone), but I'd still keep the rest of the order the same.

I'd say that Alex Smith benefited greatly from his role in that offence as well. Don't get me wrong: Mahomes is a terrific talent who's pretty clearly adjusting just fine to the NFL game, and looks like he's settled KC's QB situation for the next 15 years. But do I think he'd be having the same success had be been drafted by Buffalo? I do not. And I'm mostly done blaming McDermott (and Beane). They are who they are. The problems start at the top.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha - umm, ya think? Josh Gordon was had for a conditional 5th.

Holy moses, Jerry Jones. Maybe a chronic case of syphilis could help explain that sort of decision making.

Cooper is light years better than Gordon plus no off field issues makes a huge difference.

Cooper is a stud who was stuck in a bad situation in Oakland. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.