OT: The Geography of NY

LGR4GM

No offense to Syracuse, but that place sucks. IMO Geneva is the point where it shifts.

Word! Armory Square is a DWI waiting to happen. Parking at/for The Dome sucks. The line for Dinosaur is always 50 minutes long and I really hate that mall. The state fair is the only thing I like about Syracuse. Take 481 and go around it.

Edited by ubkev

Is that just a notion, or from personal experience spending time in all three? Cuz I find hanging in Rochester feels way more like Buffalo than hanging in Syracuse.

Buff-lo & Ra-cha-cha are the exact same except all the blue collar people in Ra-cha-cha think of themselves as white collar because they (used to) work for white collar companies like Kodak, Xerox, & B&L. ;)

Agree that rte 14 is a good enough demarcation line though somewhere halfway down Canindagua becomes southern tier. Not sure there is good line. Jamestown could go either way. Ill never forget that pebbled track during meets and the heat in my spikes. Chestnut Hill sucked for ECACs xcountry meets... up and down 3 times with frozen mud. But the toboggon shutes were awesome!

Rochester is part of wny. Upstate is north of Middletown and east of rte 14. Finger Lakes overlap but there own sub region. Same as Catskills an nyc close in vacation zone. PS Saratoga Springs is subletted by nycers... not upstate.

Edited by Kottbullar

Grew up in Rochester for my first 18 years of life, and I have predominantly lived in the Buffalo/Niagara area since then. Growing up, I never met a single Rochestarian who considered themselves part of central New York. I always considered myself a western NYer. News coverage considers us part of WNY in the Rochester area. Buffalo is a faster commute than Cuse, and anything east of East Rochester seems fairly foreign. Buffalo doesn't have exclusive rights on the WNY moniker.

Add that up, and it's an easy conclusion to make.

If WNY were limited to Buffalo and its suburbs, we would just call it Erie and Niagara Counties.  WNY includes Rochester.

Taro, if you think Buffalo and Rochester are currently in the same condition, you might want to spend a weekday walking around downtown in each city.  They're nothing alike anymore.  I fear for my life in downtown Rochester.  It's like a colder Newark.

Edited by Eleven

IMO, as soon as you are out of range of that WNY twangie accent you are no longer in WNY.  Not sure where that is though.  From my experience, though, the good folks in Rochester do not sound like those in Buffalo.

Now, I am making this statement based by enlarge on my family (Elma) and their neighours / friends accents, including my mother.

Edited by Sabersfläkt i NS

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-fan-map-2014-9

I think the best way to determine who is in Western NY is by which counties root primarily for the Bills. According to the link above the following 14 counties root primarily for the Bills: Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaragus and Allegany (the 8 counties I always think of as WNY), plus Monroe, Wayne, Ontario, Livingston, Yates, and Steuben.

post-4817-0-46213200-1517499371_thumb.png

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Interesting that this map from the Appalachian Regional Commission cuts off the region designated as Appalachia just south of Buffalo. That's about where I would say WNY begins, spreading eastward toward Rochester. Many would separate the southern tier from WNY, which doesn't really make sense geographically. But as I posited, WNY is more a vibe, somewhere you belong to for reasons other than the map. There's no doubt the metro areas of WNY look down their nose at the rural areas to their south within the state and -- ack! -- in "Pennsyltucky." It's evident in so many comments on here over the years. d4rk nailed it on his 11 map — "dirt."

Subregions_2009_Map.gif

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.