GDT: Sabres @ Rangers, 1/18/2018, 7:30pm ET /NBCS

LGR4GM

And what have the rest of the Sabres done? I think you are too focused on the end result and not paying attention to the dominos falling before the goals. The game would be 10-3 if not for Lehner. I bet he's praying he gets traded off this s##show.

Who honestly would want him as an NHL starter?

Nelson is terrible.  Get Guhle in and keep him here.

I didn't see the first Rangers goal.

I wouldn't fault Lehner on #2 or #3, although a really good save would've gotten #2 and better awareness and positioning would've gotten #3.

The GWG was yet another unacceptable late-game choke by Lehner.

Does anyone defending him expect him to be back next year? Or want him back?

craig rivet doesn’t think the goaltender isn’t the issue. Edited by Jacque Richard

No idea if he'll play better w/ a change of scenery, but it really does seem like Lehner needs a fresh start.

Maybe he'll pull a Bobrovsky and step it up once he moves to another team, but wouldn't want to have money on it. Expect the breakaway thing is a mental block as he HAS actually made saves in regulation. But his problems w/ staying tight on the post when the puck is low &/or behind the net don't appear to be readily correctable w/out some major changes to his technique.

Nice low blow.

Speaking of Lundquist bailing out the Rangers, did he have to do that all have? No? Gee.

Is it, though?

No idea if he'll play better w/ a change of scenery, but it really does seem like Lehner needs a fresh start.

Maybe he'll pull a Bobrovsky and step it up once he moves to another team, but wouldn't want to have money on it. Expect the breakaway thing is a mental block as he HAS actually made saves in regulation. But his problems w/ staying tight on the post when the puck is low &/or behind the net don't appear to be readily correctable w/out some major changes to his technique.

His fundamentals are screwed. He's a big guy who has mastered the art of making himself smaller in the net. He lunges at shots or fake shots, move the puck quick and he's toast. Needs to go.

Well thanks for setting me straight. The Sabres are just a goalie away apparently.

I don't think one, single, buffalo fan in existence thinks this. Not a single one. 

The only players I didn't like tonight were McCabe and Nelson, yeesh. 

Oh, and Pominville. Dude is not playing good hockey right now. I'd like to get Zemgus back with ROR and Kane.

Is it, though?

His fundamentals are screwed. He's a big guy who has mastered the art of making himself smaller in the net. He lunges at shots or fake shots, move the puck quick and he's toast. Needs to go.

Well, the book on almost all huge goalies is to get him moving. The lunging seems to be worse this year than the past 2 & could be in large part due to confidence issues (both in himself & his team). That SHOULD be correctable & more easily w/ a major change (him moving on or bringing in a new goalie coach could go a long way towards that front). The isues that likely will keep him ftom becoming a top 10 goalie are going down too early on shots he's square on & poor post presence in the reverse V-H.

He MIGHT fix those, but just don't have a strong expectation it'll happen.

Nelson needs to go back to Rochester, ASAP.

Yeah he was awful. Not a NHL caliber player.

I thought the Sabres played a good game though. They didn't quit and fought til the very end. The bye weeks are great for the players but the records of teams coming out of the break are not very good. Sabres had something like 24 shot attempts in the first period and ended the game with 70. Sure they made mistakes, and NYR have a better goalie despite allowing 3 goals. The Sabres loss tonight had nothing to do with a lack of effort though and that was good to see.

It's not just lunging and going down too early. His reflexes aren't quick. Some goalies can go down early and rely on reflexes and recovery quickness. Lehner has neither.

As pointed out, he just relies on size and (compared to the general public) athletic ability. I think his days as an NHL starter are limited. I feel bad for Housley.

How many times does Lehner have to bail this clown show out? 10? 20?

You never played the sport. You have no grasp on what is actually happening and where responsibility falls.

If you're gonna throw that out there you might as well just listen to Rivet and Peters all day

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.