GDT: Sabres @ Rangers, 1/18/2018, 7:30pm ET /NBCS

LGR4GM

It's called cutting down the angle, which good goalie do. The problem with the Sabres is a defense that thinks it's supposed to float around instead of covering opponents. But, sure. Blame the end result in Lehner. The Sabres are awesome on defense. <_<

Cutting down the angle, by going to his knees in the center of the crease when the shot is coming in from the right point sure. Yes the defense suffered a major lapse but it was compounded by Lehner taking himself completely out of position

Blame Lehner all you want, but his team should never break down after scoring a goal like they did. Housley is a joke of a coach. The breakdowns after a goal are all coaching.

Lehner is objectively awful. Should the team in front of him be better? Yes. Should dude stop the occasional puck when there's a breakdown in front of him? Yes. But dude can't.

In a league where goalies aren't a thing your take is valid. A lot of teams have a gut between the pipes who keeps the puck in front of him. The Sabres do not.

No, man. Despite the ###### ups of others, Lenny might as well have chucked two in his own net tonight.

And what have the rest of the Sabres done? I think you are too focused on the end result and not paying attention to the dominos falling before the goals. The game would be 10-3 if not for Lehner. I bet he's praying he gets traded off this s##show.

Blame Lehner all you want, but his team should never break down after scoring a goal like they did. Housley is a joke of a coach. The breakdowns after a goal are all coaching.

Has nothing to do with blame. Blame is not relevant.

It's about a critical goaltending fundamental being about a 3 out of 10

Lehner is objectively awful. Should the team in front of him be better? Yes. Should dude stop the occasional puck when there's a breakdown in front of him? Yes. But dude can't.

In a league where goalies aren't a thing your take is valid. A lot of teams have a gut between the pipes who keeps the puck in front of him. The Sabres do not.

I don't think you actually believe that because all your anger is focused on the goalie and none on the f##kups on this team. Edited by PromoTheRobot

And what have the rest of the Sabres done? I think you are too focused on the end result and not paying attention to the dominos falling before the goals. The game would be 10-3 if not for Lehner. I bet he's praying he gets traded off this s##show.

Goalies need to stop pucks. He can't in a good many situations. I mean, literally can not stop a breakaway. Or a penalty shot. It adds up.

I don't think you actually believe that because all your anger is focused on the goalie and none on the f##kups on this team.

See the above.

Has nothing to do with blame. Blame is not relevant.

It's about a critical goaltending fundamental being about a 3 out of 10

How many times does Lehner have to bail this clown show out? 10? 20?

Goalies need to stop pucks. He can't in a good many situations. I mean, literally can not stop a breakaway. Or a penalty shot. It adds up.

See the above.

You never played the sport. You have no grasp on what is actually happening and where responsibility falls. Edited by PromoTheRobot

How many times does Lehner have to bail this clown show out? 10? 20?

You never played the sport. You have no grasp on what is actually happening and where responsibility falls.

The poster you're quoting seems to have as good a grasp on the game as anyone here. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I didn't see the first Rangers goal.

I wouldn't fault Lehner on #2 or #3, although a really good save would've gotten #2 and better awareness and positioning would've gotten #3.

The GWG was yet another unacceptable late-game choke by Lehner.

Does anyone defending him expect him to be back next year?  Or want him back?

A goalie as slow as Lehner has no business being way outside the crease with action buzzing all around him.  Two easy goals were scored because he was unable to even attempt to get back.  As the NBC announcers suggested early in the game, just because the initial shot doesn't go in it doesn't mean you're not going to score on him.  Sabres didn't deserve to lose the way they did.

After Ullmark's 40 some save game and allowing only one goal, I was hoping he be back in the net.  Lehner was Murray's boy and we're still paying for it.

TAKE THE MAN!   Way too soft Risto.  You take the body

against a 2 on 1?

Another game that sums up the season rather well, we always seem to fall short. Even when they play a great game they still come up short either through bone head plays, Lehner giving up a softie or some questionable penalty or non-call. Risto played well, Eichel looked good, ROR and Reino played well along with Okposo. Nelson was a literal trainwreck. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.