Kris Letang and Evander Kane?

WildCard

“We know Jimmy Rutherford isn’t scared to make a deal,” noted Nick Kypreos during Saturday Headlines on Hockey Night in Canada. “The feeling is, although we are in the Christmas freeze, that it wouldn’t surprise anybody if Jimmy Rutherford is out of the gate maybe making a shakeup. How big of a shakeup? One name that I do hear out there that is being bantered about is Kris Letang. Kris Letang has had a horrible season so far. Certainly hasn’t regained some of that magic he had prior to being hurt by what, the 41-game mark of last season.

“Now, keep in mind that he has four years left on a very big contract. Pittsburgh would love to shed some salary, and he’s at $7.25 million guys for four more years.

“The other factor that might make it a little more comfortable for Jimmy Rutherford to make a trade is they won a Stanley Cup last season without him.”

Elliotte Friedman picked up the thread from there.

“If Letang does go, I think it’s going to be probably for something like two forwards – a center and a winger, impact players,” indicated Friedman. “That’s what they’re looking for, forwards, I think that’s what he’s looking for in any kind of a Letang deal.

I do think that Jim Rutherford is a guy who has talked before many times about he doesn’t like waiting until the deadline,” noted Friedman on Friday. “He likes to go early, right. I think he’s going to do something. I do think Pittsburgh right now is the team to watch.

“He made a couple of small moves this week. But I do think we’re getting to the point sooner rather than later when Jim Rutherford goes out and says, ‘Alright, this is what we’re doing to win our third consecutive Stanley Cup.’ And I wouldn’t be surprised if Kane was a guy on their radar.”

“Don’t forget, I mean there’s a clear and close relationship between Botterill and Rutherford and the Penguins,” Dreger pointed out. “Last time I talked to Jimmy, which was earlier this week, he still believes in that group. He’s still bought into the idea that they’re going to come alive early in the second half. He knows it’s not about finishing first in the division, first in the conference, winning the Presidents’ Trophy. It’s about making the playoffs, getting on a roll, and then winning a third straight Stanley Cup.

“So if he gets to late January and he’s not feeling the mojo of the Pittsburgh Penguins, I think that he could be interested in doing something far more drastic than what we’ve seen of late.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/insiders-consider-possibility-of-significant-penguins-trade/

Edited by Jokertecken

Not sure if I want Letang back as part of a return. The goal of trading Kane should be to get players on ELCs or picks(sorry Eleven),

Letang is a hell of a player, but with his injury history that’s 12 Million per year for two injury prone D Man

Dream Trade with Kane for Daniel Sprong and Pittsburgh’s 2018 1st. Not realistic from Pittsburgh’s Standpoint

I don't want a defender in the middle of a bloated contract who could go down for the count like a broken piece of reinforced glass.  Keep Letang and his glass jaw.  This is a stupid idea.  

Grasping for straws. 

Edited by De Listig Ett

I don't want a defender in the middle of a bloated contract who could go down for the count like a broken piece of reinforced glass. Keep Letang and his glass jaw chin. This is a stupid idea.

Glass jaw encompasses chin as well. That really hit the ear wrong.

Why would we trade a younger productive player for an older less productive player with an albatross contract? Letang isn't ever going to live up to that deal. You are talking about maybe 1-2 of those 4 years making sense. I've already seen the forward equivalent in Matt Moulson on Buffalo.  We need to shed old guys not living up to deals not bring in more. 

Why would we trade a younger productive player for an older less productive player with an albatross contract? Letang isn't ever going to live up to that deal. You are talking about maybe 1-2 of those 4 years making sense. I've already seen the forward equivalent in Matt Moulson on Buffalo.  We need to shed old guys not living up to deals not bring in more. 

You get more than Letang coming this way. He's a proven vet/winner that can teach a young blue line and maybe whip our locker room into shape

You get more than Letang coming this way. He's a proven vet/winner that can teach a young blue line and maybe whip our locker room into shape

You prove to me he is the driver of the Pens locker room and sure. Just because a guy is 30 doesn't mean he is a leader. 

Why can't Marco Scandella be the vet leader whipping the defense into shape? Already seems to be doing that.

You prove to me he is the driver of the Pens locker room and sure. Just because a guy is 30 doesn't mean he is a leader. 

Why can't Marco Scandella be the vet leader whipping the defense into shape? Already seems to be doing that.

I mean he's the alternate captain on a multiple Cup winner that has had a ton of star/firepower players that could have been chosen instead.

Because Scandella was a middle pairing guy on a team that regularly missed the bar

I mean he's the alternate captain on a multiple Cup winner that has had a ton of star/firepower players that could have been chosen instead.

Because Scandella was a middle pairing guy on a team that regularly missed the bar

And if Letang plays 40 games how does that lead us anywhere? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.