Buffalo at Saint Louis, December 10, 2017, 7pm (MSG)

Eleven

Someone give me a play by play of the game winner. What the heck happened?

Tarasenko owned the Sabres.  Baited Jack with casual speed in neutral zone, bursts on entry, Jack is flat.  Seems Kane should have been deeper but is also flat, T goes in alone, scores.  Jack slams stick on post in fit. Pommers gives Lehner "please don't cry this time" pat on entry to tunnel.

Tarasenko came out of his own zone and Eichel hesitated around the red line with Kane behind him, as if he thought he might be Kane's man. Kane moved toward the middle of the ice and Eichel got caught flatfooted as Tarasenko just blew past him down the right wing and attacked the net. Lehner tried the poke check but ended up scoring on himself.

Thanks guys. Just saw the video. It looked like Eichel was looking to the bench for a change or something and slowed up letting Tarasenko go into the zone without back-checking him. Two Sabres back didn't even try to defend him. Totally blown play. 

Wait, no. Not a change. He just decided that he didn't want to take Tarasenko even though Tarasenko was his for the taking. So Kane starts shifting to the center to take the trailer because why wouldn't he?

Eichel blew that. He needed to finish his backcheck on Tarasenko. He was right there. 

They need to work together and set themselves up in a triangle.

To many times the Sabres come across the blue line and they're lost and running into each other or in a straight line never getting into a position to give or receive a pass.

Coaches would tell us if you're not sure where you need to be, then whenever possible position yourself as one point of a triangle thus making yourself available to receive a pass and make a pass. Of course this only works if your teammates are positioning themselves and making the necessary adjustments to maintain that triangle.

Sometimes pattern recognition is a lot easier when things get out of whack.

Making the adjustments, being the one to complete the triangle; somebody has to.

Edited by hockeyhound

Thanks guys. Just saw the video. It looked like Eichel was looking to the bench for a change or something and slowed up letting Tarasenko go into the zone without back-checking him. Two Sabres back didn't even try to defend him. Totally blown play. 

Wait, no. Not a change. He just decided that he didn't want to take Tarasenko even though Tarasenko was his for the taking. So Kane starts shifting to the center to take the trailer because why wouldn't he?

Eichel blew that. He needed to finish his backcheck on Tarasenko. He was right there. 

He is consistently missing the details needed for success.  He's at 95% and just seems to lay down on that last 5% that makes winners.

His body language suggested he thought Tarasenko was someone else's man. It's 3 on 3, there's no time to trade off.

Here in Buffalo sports land, that's called pulling a "Stephon Gilmore."

Getting really fed up with Jack Eichel. Generational talent my ass. Definitely wasn't worth tanking for and definitely isn't worth $10 million a year.

Ah, now I see what True was saying. Guys he played a great game.

Now we're just looking for things to get mad at him about. Was the play his fault? Probably. But if anyone else does that the reaction isn't this strong

No one else is supposed to be the best player on this team for the next 8 years or whatever.

Raise your expectations.

Now we're just looking for things to get mad at him about. Was the play his fault? Probably. But if anyone else does that the reaction isn't this strong

Maybe. I can never figure out how much to be mad at a skater for a mistake in overtime. It's not really hockey, ya know? Falkenate's (who?!) theory isn't bad.

I'll just put this here:

Dave Davis @DaveDavisHockey

FollowingFollowing @DaveDavisHockey
More

Eichel was Buffalo's only positive possession player tonight (51.85% 5v5).

This team is awful.  It's literally amazing how badly Tim Murray botched the rebuild.  Eichel is the only player we have that's worth building around.

No one else is supposed to be the best player on this team for the next 8 years or whatever.

Raise your expectations.

I've been pretty vocal about my expectations for him and in the last 3 games he's looked great. It was one play

Edit: He also is, by far, the best player on this team. For all the crap he's been getting why are we not trashing Okposo, O'Reilly, Scandella, etc.

I'll just put this here:

This team is awful. It's literally amazing how badly Tim Murray botched the rebuild. Eichel is the only player we have that's worth building around.

Props to you for calling it too. I'll eat crow on that one, I liked Murray

Edited by Jokertecken

All he had to do was finish the play and try to get a body on Tarasenko. But he just decided not to. I don't get it.

Kane was in the "D" position. Normally the forward gives the player over to the defenseman who would force him wide, and the forward picks up the trailer coming down the slot. Just as Eichel gave him over to Kane, Kane moved to play the slot, and Eichel couldn't catch him. The error was Kane's for not playing like a defenseman.

I'd like to see Eichel and Kane split up in OT so they have a more defensive minded player with them. Put Kane with ROR, and ERod with Eichel.

Kane was in the "D" position. Normally the forward gives the player over to the defenseman who would force him wide, and the forward picks up the trailer coming down the slot. Just as Eichel gave him over to Kane, Kane moved to play the slot, and Eichel couldn't catch him. The error was Kane's for not playing like a defenseman.

I'd like to see Eichel and Kane split up in OT so they have a more defensive minded player with them. Put Kane with ROR, and ERod with Eichel.

The error was not Kane's. All Jack has to do is try to put a body on Tarasenko. He blew it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.