DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

From Jimmy Murphy

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but hearing via NHL sources that #Preds  in on #Sabres  F #EvanderKane. Likely Buffalo would want one of the plethora of stud D-men Nashville has. #NHLTradeRumors. @Bruins_Beat @MurphsHockeyLaw

And Dahlin and Boqvist are drawing comparisons to Karlsson, I want to keep the 2018 1st at all costs

Boqvist is a forward? Scares me too. Sounds inconsistent 

Boqvist is a defender, and I agree he is inconsistent. Just keep in mind he is super young for the 2018 draft class. August 15th bday makes him exactly 1 month eligible for it. 

I was looking at Jesper, not Adam

Dang though. So as long as we pick in the top 4, we're golden

I was looking at Jesper, not Adam

Dang though. So as long as we pick in the top 4, we're golden

5 really.  Dahlin, Zadina, Svechinkov, Tkachuk, Boqvist. That would be the tier 1. 

Really it is:

Dhalin - Tier 1

Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Boqvist - Tier 2

6-11 or 12 - Tier 3

13-19 - Tier 4

20-24 - Tier 5

25-32 - Tier 6

Or that is my rough breakdown now that I have rankings to compare, some highlights, some scouting reports and such. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

5 really.  Dahlin, Zadina, Svechinkov, Tkachuk, Boqvist. That would be the tier 1. 

Really it is:

Dhalin - Tier 1

Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Boqvist - Tier 2

6-11 or 12 - Tier 3

13-19 - Tier 4

20-24 - Tier 5

25-32 - Tier 6

Or that is my rough breakdown now that I have rankings to compare, some highlights, some scouting reports and such. 

If we come in 2nd to last, what's the furthest we could fall?

I think their cap situation is okay. It's the fact that they're stuck with Bobby Ryan and Phaneuf that kills them. They'll be able to pay Karlsson, but the rest of the team would be a mess. 

If you can get a 2018 first for Kane, would you trade O'Reilly and that first for 2 years of Karlsson? 

It's not just a cap issue in Ottawa.  That team doesn't spend like the Sabres do.

Oh, so..... another Drouin.

Not even.  At least Drouin plays in the NHL and when he was sent to the AHL he wasn't scratched (as far as I know)

I watched him since he was traded to the ice dogs the last 2 seasons and there never seemed to be an issue with him here. There were issues with him and the islanders, but I never heard of there being issues in Niagara. I read the article Bout him this year and it sounds like he is improving but still needs to mature more according to his coach

Personally I think he needs to get moved from the islanders. He definitely has the talent to be Good, just needs to go somewhere and decide he needs to mature and take things seriously. I wouldn't give up a big assert for him, but a mid level pick might be worth it if the roster had some leaders that could get him to grow up

He's had time to mature.  He's going to realize at age 27 what he threw away just to be a brash and flashy idiot who only likes to do things his way.  I mean.. John Tavares couldn't get him straightened out.

Goalies are stupid. Just trade them at will. They should basically always be some of the lowest paid players on your team because half the time all it takes is a random goalie to be hot.

I bet the Islanders would love to have more than a random goalie right now.  They are lighting it up but battling for a playoff spot because their two goaltenders are JAGs and suck.

Not even. At least Drouin plays in the NHL and when he was sent to the AHL he wasn't scratched (as far as I know)

He's had time to mature. He's going to realize at age 27 what he threw away just to be a brash and flashy idiot who only likes to do things his way. I mean.. John Tavares couldn't get him straightened out.

I bet the Islanders would love to have more than a random goalie right now. They are lighting it up but battling for a playoff spot because their two goaltenders are JAGs and suck.

They should just trade for another random goalie then. I'm sure Vegas would take a few phone calls.

O'Reilly's deal was frontloaded though. So if Ottawa is cash poor it helps the bottom line. Throw in other cost controlled assets and this isn't all that crazy.

I know.  It's Karlsson whom Ottawa cannot afford, not O'Reilly.

They should just trade for another random goalie then. I'm sure Vegas would take a few phone calls.

Sure.. they have to get someone to take one of their two current random goalies off their roster however.  Goalies that are currently sucking up $7.8M of cap space.  Granted they rid themselves of Halak net year but they still have $3.3M invested in Greiss. 

Unless you can continually sign goalies to 1 year contracts you can't just keep signing random goalies and hope one of them is good enough to get your team to the playoffs.  You'll eventually run out of roster/contract spots.  So you have to apply at least a modicum of thought and evaluation to who you sign.

I find that so odd. If he’s such a problem they feel they need to move him, which would be a huge deal, how can it be 50/50? If they can’t trade him they just say “ah screw it, maybe we can win with him after all”?

It’s either move him, or don’t.

Is the 50/50 cause they are unsure if they want to?

There is absolutely nothing Sam Reinhart has done this year to warrant being given that spot. I can’t see them doing that.

If they move ROR, I’d have to imagine it would be in spite of Reinhart being unable to show himself capable of filling in for ROR this season.

50/50 that they get the right deal, not if they want to move him.

I would do Kane for Fabbro straight up happily. Fabbro so far has justified his draft position, has the tools to exceed it, and was already a pick higher than the first we'd get from Nashville  this year. It's getting a fast-tracked 2018 first that has already been made in a position of need on a player that instantly slots near Casey Mittelstadt with a chance to pass him as our top prospect. 

Rental Kane ain't getting us a Parayko, so while I won't be instantly ready to invest emotionally in this team again, I would sleep easier knowing we had Fabbro and Dahlin/Boqvist/Hughes ready to come up in the next 3 years, hopefully with Guhle, as opposed to a whole lotta nothing back there.

And EK is amazing and I love him but it's so frustrating that his legs have been utterly destroyed like 3 different times. Imagine if he still had his ~2010 skating abilities.