DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

From 97 Rock this AM

.@ByMHarrington on @MorningBull97: Don't expect #Sabres  to get a 1st round pick for #EvanderKane. That's not gonna happen. A prospect, lower round pick, maybe a low roster player are all possibilities. High draft pick is very, very unlikely. #Buffalo

Umm

Wouldn't trust Harrington's take on anything to be honest. Kane is worth more than a Bot 6 forward and 4th rounder....

Harrington is an idiot.

Andrew Ladd went in 2016 for a 1st plus a good prospect and a conditional pick.

Hanzal, a 4th and a prospect went to Minn for a 1st in 2017, 2nd in 2018 and a conditional pick (a 2nd in 2019).

Kane is young and better then any of the above.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

He never has a scoop and has a vendetta against the team for some reason.

Yea, I honestly cannot remember a single story that Harrington broke.

I'm thinking Carolina for a Defenseman

If we trade him for any Carolina defender not named Slavin, I think I'll microwave the first baby I come across.

If we trade him for any Carolina defender not named Slavin, I think I'll microwave the first baby I come across.

Only for 3 seconds though

Rumors I heard from well-placed sources this morning:  Don't be surprised if O'Reilly is shipped out.

I want to keep him, but I wouldn't be adverse to shipping him out. I'd expect a ton back though

He never has a scoop and has a vendetta against the team for some reason.

Bingo

I'm thinking Carolina for a Defenseman

Columbus is another one that has crossed my mind, or even the Schiefele-less Winnipeg Jets.

O’Reilly would provide the all-purpose top six centre that a lot of teams would think could elevate them to contender status or put them over the top. He is young and has contract certainty. He has a ton of value.

I like both a lot as players, but my current working theory about the rot in the Sabres is focused on OReilly and Kane.

Objectively, given their age, skill and stature they should be the leaders of this team.

Given the fact that leadership is clearly lacking, they are ill-suited for that role.

Tim Murray is a horse breeder and trader, not a psychologist and manager of people.

Perhaps among his larger mistakes was entrusting his treasure trove of tank assets to the influence of a narcissist and a obsessive whack job.

Dump them and let Jack take command with Kyle riding shotgun.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Good on paper and ROR has mostly played decent hockey for us, but if where has it gotten us in the standings?

Through this lens, literally everything is terrible and we should actually bomb the arena.

Conversations about both ROR and Kane are veering dangerously close to where Leafs fans and media were at with Kessel: blaming the team on a single player and manufacturing all kinds of highly questionable justifications for why it's true.

Good on paper and ROR has mostly played decent hockey for us, but if where has it gotten us in the standings?

That's not his fault or a result of the trade. That decision by Murray was and will always be a good move

Through this lens, literally everything is terrible and we should actually bomb the arena.

Conversations about both ROR and Kane are veering dangerously close to where Leafs fans and media were at with Kessel: blaming the team on a single player and manufacturing all kinds of highly questionable justifications for why it's true.

Good comparable. Still think Kane needs to move

Columbus is another one that has crossed my mind, or even the Schiefele-less Winnipeg Jets.

O’Reilly would provide the all-purpose top six centre that a lot of teams would think could elevate them to contender status or put them over the top. He is young and has contract certainty. He has a ton of value.

I like both a lot as players, but my current working theory about the rot in the Sabres is focused on OReilly and Kane.

Objectively, given their age, skill and stature they should be the leaders of this team.

Given the fact that leadership is clearly lacking, they are ill-suited for that role.

Tim Murray is a horse breeder and trader, not a psychologist and manager of people.

Perhaps among his larger mistakes was entrusting his treasure trove of tank assets to the influence of a narcissist and a obsessive whack job.

Dump them and let Jack take command with Kyle riding shotgun.

Now there's a guy we need to dump

He's slow and his contract is bad 

I'm inclined to give him a pass this season.  He had a slow start but I think that was directly related to the medical issues at the end of last season.  He's looked much better as of late and he does have a high skill level, high compete level, and he's a smart player.  Assuming no setbacks through the rest of this season, I see him having a strong rebound next year.

Kyle gives great effort consistently, is a standup guy and has produced at his usual 50-plus point pace over the past two months.

Contract may come back to bite us, but I think Kyle’s start to the season weighs too heavy on too many people’s minds.

The guy could have died.

I think Blues Kessel take is actually perfect for O’Reilly and Kane.

Put them on a team with Malkin and Crosby and they will shine.

Hell, they shine here. But, like Kessel, they aren’t the guys you want leading the charge in the room.

Eleven, you have a ton of credibility with me.

Care to elaborate at all on what you’ve heard?

Edited by Mick O’Manly