DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

@TSNHockey
Countdown to #TradeCentre: The asking price is not three, but FOUR assets for pending UFA Evander Kane http://tsn.ca/1.969243 #TSNHockey

As he was talking about the asking price for big scorers like van Riemsdyk to Montreal's TSN Radio 690 on Tuesday, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger revised what he reported last Friday regarding Buffalo's asking price for winger Evander Kane.

"If Buffalo gets a first (round pick), a prospect, a roster player and a conditional pick - which I was corrected on, frankly after I wrote that on Friday, they want a roster player in addition to the other three assets - for Evander Kane, a pending unrestricted free agent. If they get all that, or there's a belief they get all that, imagine what the Leafs might get for JVR, Bozak, Komarov or all three..." he said. "...but the 'own rental' philosophy is probably more likely given the Toronto Maple Leafs' position in the standings."

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-how-will-leafs-handle-ufas-1.969243

Edited by Jokertecken

The constant Kane speculation all season has been a negative over-hang on the season for the Sabres. Jbot just needs to get the deal done already and move on.

Maybe dumping Kane will give the Sabres a lift like dumping Duchene gave the Avs.

I think the roster player as part of package is just to fill the line up hole created by trading Kane and giving the acquiring team a way to get rid of some salary to make the deal work easier. The real price is a 1st, near ready prospect and a conditional pick.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

Aiming for four pieces, will probably get high end prospect and a 1st.

@TSNHockey

Countdown to #TradeCentre: The asking price is not three, but FOUR assets for pending UFA Evander Kane http://tsn.ca/1.969243 #TSNHockey

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-how-will-leafs-handle-ufas-1.969243

It’s always about Leafs isn’t it?

I would guess that conditional is a 3rd if Kane signs or the team makes it to round X in the playoffs. Also I would guess the player coming back to be a speedy young winger, middle six or bottom six, to help replace Kane until someone else is ready.  

1st, 4th round pick (conditional), Prospect, middle or bottom 6 winger. Sabres probably retain 50% of this salary. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Can we just resolve ourselves to being disappointed in what we get back? We're in a tremendous position of weakness. And besides Kane, all we have is hot garbage. ROR? He's the guy you trade for (relatively) cheap to see if you can revitalize his career in a new city. Danny Briere when the Sabres got him.

Can we just resolve ourselves to being disappointed in what we get back? We're in a tremendous position of weakness. And besides Kane, all we have is hot garbage. ROR? He's the guy you trade for (relatively) cheap to see if you can revitalize his career in a new city. Danny Briere when the Sabres got him.

How? Everything indicates a seller's market

The constant Kane speculation all season has been a negative over-hang on the season for the Sabres. Jbot just needs to get the deal done already and move on.

Maybe dumping Kane will give the Sabres a lift like dumping Duchene gave the Avs.

I think the roster player as part of package is just to fill the line up hole created by trading Kane and giving the acquiring team a way to get rid of some salary to make the deal work easier. The real price is a 1st, near ready prospect and a conditional pick.

I tend to think this is correct. The roster player will likely be JAG in order to balance salary/cap/contract limits and (more importantly for us) to keep us from having to raid Rochester for bodies once we start moving out pending UFA's.

Anyone who thinks we are getting a 1st, good prospect, and good roster player for Kane is likely going to be disappointed. The conditional pick is kind of irrelevant to me since we have no clue who is going to trade for Kane yet, how much cap space they have, or whether they'll actually want/try to re-sign him. Plus I'm still kind of hoping we get a chance to re-sign him in July.

disappointment is inevitable. There is no way we are going to get a prospect/pick package where the players involved become as valuable as Evander Kane. Not unless the pick is in the top 10 of the draft.

We gave up a 1st, a near ready prospect In Armia and a good prospect in Lemieux (top pick in the 2nd rd) to get Kane with 3 years left on his deal.

We have received good production over the seasons for Kane, who is soon to be an UFA. If we get back a serviceable player depth player, a 1st and a near ready prospect, I think we might actually come out ahead.

Kane is less than six months away from UFA, when he will be lost for nothing

Last year at this time his reported traded value non existent.

I’ll be happy with a first round pick no matter where it falls.

Based on the fact he is the number one trade target on the TSN, that’s the least that can be expected in return.

Edited by Brawndo

Regardless of how well Botterill does on his Kane trade return, the trade will be disappointing.

My hope when we acquired him was that he could be the first-line power forward component of a contending core.

He has been close to the first half of that equation, but the latter half was a dismal failure.

Regardless of how well Botterill does on his Kane trade return, the trade will be disappointing.

My hope when we acquired him was that he could be the first-line power forward component of a contending core.

He has been close to the first half of that equation, but the latter half was a dismal failure.

I'm just excited to have a big locker room shakeup. I don't know who in there is responsible for all of this garbage attitude, but I'm betting it's Kane, Lehner, and O'Reilly

Reasons?

Lehner for Toronto

O'Reilly doesn't have the C yet, though every sign in the world pointed to him getting it early on

Kane is buddy buddy with the two dudes who put in the most inconsistent effort every night: Eichel and Reinhart

I completely agree on the locker-room shakeup. 

As for reasons for blaming anyone in particular, I got nuttin', but I will say that IMHO it's a general rule in sports that the highest-paid players need to be the best players, both in games and in practice.  The rest of the team takes its cue from those guys.  When the big guns don't deliver -- like most of the Sabres' expensive guys -- the other guys subconsciously take their feet off the gas.

Lehner for Toronto

O'Reilly doesn't have the C yet, though every sign in the world pointed to him getting it early on

Kane is buddy buddy with the two dudes who put in the most inconsistent effort every night: Eichel and Reinhart

Lehner for Toronto?  Not sure what that means.

I can see how getting rid of Kane might make Eichel and Reinhart a little more serious.

I don't think O'Reilly cares that much about the C.

Lehner for Toronto?  Not sure what that means.

I can see how getting rid of Kane might make Eichel and Reinhart a little more serious.

I don't think O'Reilly cares that much about the C.

“I guess it’s something in Buffalo waters, you know?” Lehner told reporters after the game.

“I know Toronto already made up their mind it was a goal before they shot the puck. It’s just how it works in this league.”

“Everything is predetermined against us,” he continued. “It’s not to be sulking or anything. We’re not where we want to be or anything like that. It’s just how it is. It’s just how it is. The Islanders are in a playoff spot, and it is what it is."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/robin-lehner-critical-nhl-video-review-goal-ruling-sabres/

The dude is just a loser with a loser's mentality. He is the epitome of Because Buffalo. We need McDermott's, not Lehner's

O'Reilly may not care about it, but that's what he was brought here for. He was a vet on another young team that wanted a bigger role and so demanded a trade. Well, he got that trade, and then subsequently has shown no ability to fulfill that role. Every report and discussion we have on him says he's an introverted guy that leads by example. Which is an okay thing sometimes, but when you have a young team looking for a voice, and all that's there is...what? Lehner? Brian freaking Gionta?...Gorges? O'Reilly was supposed to be that voice, and his failing to do so is not good

Edited by Jokertecken

I am fully ready to get on board with a Kane ejection empowering Eichel and Reinhart.

Mostly because I need something on which to pin some hope.

And for the record, I think Jack starts next season with the C and will wear it well.

He’s growing into it.

Edited by Mick O’Manly