GDT Sabres at Pens 11/14/17 7pm MSG WGR 550

Brawndo

Speaking of plumbers, I thought Pouliot played a helluva hard-hat game last night. He was in all the dirty areas all night long giving the Pens fits. 

Just like Falk last year, he's teaching me not to judge on first impressions.

He skates fast and plays hard and might have been our most consistent forward over the past three weeks or so.

This game reminded me of the Bills games when we were winning by unsustainable levels of turnovers.

It never felt like we were going to win, even when we were up. It felt like it was only time before the Pens took over the scoreboard.

When we attacked, we had maybe one chance and play was turned the other way, but when Pens attacked there were 2-3 chances. The ice wasn’t lopsided, but the quality of the play was from what I could see.

And Jack, you got caught flat footed. Again. It’s a thing with you. Did you see the way Sid was tenacious on the puck? Yeah. You need to do that. Every. Fecking. Play.

Word.

I think it's the Falk/Pouliot/Pominville/Gorges (yes, I included him) types that will raise the level of play for this team.  To put too much of the load on a young star is just going to make him jaded when he can't do everything himself.  He needs a solid supporting cast, and really I think that it's not a question of getting a bunch of superstars, but rather getting the best quality "plumbers" behind them.  I'd be totally satisfied with Reinhart and Girgensons if they became plumbers.  Let ROR and Eichel (and perhaps eventually, Mittelstadt and Eichel) be our Malkin and Crosby.  We have star power that can, at times, carry the team.  But they can't always carry the team and from time to time won't even play due to injury.  But if there's a creditable system built out of  somewhat interchangeable plumbers that provide consistency while the the stars and other players go through their boom and bust cycles, the Sabres will bring consistency, and that, more than anything else seems to be what they lack.

Edited by Doohickie

Great game. Very entertaining. To bad they lost but at least they competed. Love the effort.

I saw mostly the second half of the game (most of second, all of 3rd and OT).

I understand saying that they competed. It looked to me like the Penguins were running (skating) them out of the building most of the time.

It's funny to me that Gorges, the guy everybody wanted waived and off the team in preseason is now looked to as the savior of the D. It's all relative I suppose. Bottom line is the D sucks (and that includes most of the forwards in their D game, even Eichel) so trying to hold a one goal lead in the third period of this or any game by dropping into a D shell is just plain stupid. 

Stupid team, stupid coach, it's just all stupidly the same as always. 

It's funny to me that Gorges, the guy everybody wanted waived and off the team in preseason is now looked to as the savior of the D. It's all relative I suppose. Bottom line is the D sucks (and that includes most of the forwards in their D game, even Eichel) so trying to hold a one goal lead in the third period of this or any game by dropping into a D shell is just plain stupid. 

Stupid team, stupid coach, it's just all stupidly the same as always. 

That we turned a bottom 3 regular minutes defensemen in the entire league by about 40 different metrics last season into a decent player by simply reducing his role is something to hang Phil's hat on, at least. It would have been so easy to never let him out of the press box after his season last year. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

We should trade McCabe now while we can, honestly. 

That we turned a bottom 3 regular minutes defensemen in the entire league by about 40 different metrics last season into a decent player by simply reducing his role is something to hang Phil's hat on, at least. It would have been so easy to never let him out of the press box after his season last year. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

We should trade McCabe now while we can, honestly.

You really think so, re: McCabe?

You really think so, re: McCabe?

I think he's AHL level right now and his weaknesses are the same as always and are the things that will prevent him from climbing much higher than that. And I think we're a better team with guys behind him in the depth chart playing instead of him, and that he still has value in a trade that is above the near-Bergdorfer level play we've gotten on the ice

I think he's AHL level right now and his weaknesses are the same as always and are the things that will prevent him from climbing much higher than that. And I think we're a better team with guys behind him in the depth chart playing instead of him, and that he still has value in a trade that is above the near-Bergdorfer level play we've gotten on the ice

Interesting. That Laine hit will still probably be fresh in people's minds..

I saw mostly the second half of the game (most of second, all of 3rd and OT).

I understand saying that they competed. It looked to me like the Penguins were running (skating) them out of the building most of the time.

The game was entertaining, no?

Yes, I'd much prefer they win, but let's be honest. They aren't there yet. Next season? Maybe.

But, and I'm not pointing out you specifically, just seems an appropriate time to say it, but anyone who actually believed Murray when he said 3 year turn around, just after stripping the roster down to and including the bone, should now realize it'll take 5 to 7 years from the 13/14 season to attempt serious contention.

Does it suck? Yea.

Patience, hard as it is to practise a virtue, it is warranted.

Cheer up though if your feeling apathy. There is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Hope that helps......

GO SABRES!!!!

I’ve been a pretty casual watcher so far this season.

The happened with McCabe?!

The game was entertaining, no?

Yes, I'd much prefer they win, but let's be honest. They aren't there yet. Next season? Maybe.

But, and I'm not pointing out you specifically, just seems an appropriate time to say it, but anyone who actually believed Murray when he said 3 year turn around, just after stripping the roster down to and including the bone, should now realize it'll take 5 to 7 years from the 13/14 season to attempt serious contention.

Does it suck? Yea.

Patience, hard as it is to practise a virtue, it is warranted.

Cheer up though if your feeling apathy. There is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Hope that helps......

GO SABRES!!!!

It was entertaining, I’ll grant.

FGMTM was selling a bill of goods, yeah.

I don’t find myself needing much comfort re the -bres (say it burz), but I do appreciate the sentiment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.