Down 3 with 2 to go, would you pull the goalie?

PASabreFan

Would you have pulled your Johnson out with 2:01 to go?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have pulled your Johnson out with 2:01 to go?

• Of course. I'd have nothing to lose and as a new coach I'd be telling my team I believe in them and we never want to quit.
    • Of course not. You can't come back from that, it's just not done in hockey, and it could only make things worse.
    • I don't know. It's a really tough call.

The thing I took out of this thread was PA talked about a disinterested Johnson and Ink was nowhere to be found.

He reached down... there was nothing!

PA, did you notice Ottawa scored 2 empty netters to tie last night?

No. Wow. Thanks. Your honor, I have no more questions. *PA takes off his readers, folds them neatly and sets them on the courtroom table. Then weeps softly. It's over. Thank God, it's finally over.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry — really — but this has to be revisited after Phil quit on himself, his coaching staff, his team, his owner and us and didn't pull the goalie down 2 with the puck in the Detroit zone with just under a minute to go.

The Sabres had just been trapped in their own zone for maybe a full minute, but they finally broke out. Was Phil so demoralized (like we were) that he threw in the towel? And somehow he expects more from his players when the going gets tough?

Marty talked about it on the postgame show and the only explanation was that sometimes coaches let their players stew in the mess they just made rather than giving them a better chance to come back.

As I wrote last night, you could certainly question not pulling the goalie with a little under three minutes to go, but not doing so is not an impeachable offense. Honestly, if I owned the team, I think I'd fire Housley this morning.

No one, certainly not the 10-million-dollar gingerkind, acted like that game was a must-win. It certainly was. Phil seems to be as clueless as the rest.

Sorry — really — but this has to be revisited after Phil quit on himself, his coaching staff, his team, his owner and us and didn't pull the goalie down 2 with the puck in the Detroit zone with just under a minute to go.

The Sabres had just been trapped in their own zone for maybe a full minute, but they finally broke out. Was Phil so demoralized (like we were) that he threw in the towel? And somehow he expects more from his players when the going gets tough?

Marty talked about it on the postgame show and the only explanation was that sometimes coaches let their players stew in the mess they just made rather than giving them a better chance to come back.

As I wrote last night, you could certainly question not pulling the goalie with a little under three minutes to go, but not doing so is not an impeachable offense. Honestly, if I owned the team, I think I'd fire Housley this morning.

No one, certainly not the 10-million-dollar gingerkind, acted like that game was a must-win. It certainly was. Phil seems to be as clueless as the rest.

Marty's explanation doesn't make sense for this team.  There is no excuse for not pulling the goalie in the situation you described with this team where it is right now.

Ummmmm, I hate to say it.... Phil isn't the answer.

He played soft as a player, our team has played soft this year, and our D is just as bad, if not worse than last year.

I know we can't fire a new guy so quickly and etc... But if we don't things around soon, I'd be OK bringing in a guy who will wreak havoc in the room

No excuse for not pulling the goalie in that situation.

+++++

It is too early to tell what Phil will be able to do with a full NHL level roster, especially on D.

What is becoming evident, IMO, is that this is not the best time to have hired Phil.  Perhaps they needed an interim coach and go after Phil in a year, or two, but that could be very problematic in that he may not have been available then.  Growing pains.

The biggest issues, IMO, comes down to the talent level on this roster.

Ummmmm, I hate to say it.... Phil isn't the answer.

He played soft as a player, our team has played soft this year, and our D is just as bad, if not worse than last year.

I know we can't fire a new guy so quickly and etc... But if we don't things around soon, I'd be OK bringing in a guy who will wreak havoc in the room

I am definitely reconsidering my support for him last spring.

Once again.  You assume the increase in odds for scoring a goal is the same across all teams when a goalie is pulled.  It's not.  Just as the odds of scoring a goal on the power play is not the same for every team, the odds of scoring with the goalie pulled are not increased equally.  

As I said in the Red Wings thread, the Sabres can't beat teams on their power play.  The puck ends up in their zone more often than in the opposition zone. The Sabres can barely keep it in the zone at even strength.  In order to score you have to be able to possess the puck.  A team as long as this one on the ice will not gain possession of the puck long enough to significantly increase their chances of scoring.

A call for pulling the goalie with this team is pure desperation.  I understand the frustration but I believe the last time the Sabres pulled the goalie they ended up with two EN goals against and I don't think anyone was surprised.

Once again.  You assume the increase in odds for scoring a goal is the same across all teams when a goalie is pulled.  It's not.  Just as the odds of scoring a goal on the power play is not the same for every team, the odds of scoring with the goalie pulled are not increased equally.  

As I said in the Red Wings thread, the Sabres can't beat teams on their power play.  The puck ends up in their zone more often than in the opposition zone. The Sabres can barely keep it in the zone at even strength.  In order to score you have to be able to possess the puck.  A team as long as this one on the ice will not gain possession of the puck long enough to significantly increase their chances of scoring.

A call for pulling the goalie with this team is pure desperation.  I understand the frustration but I believe the last time the Sabres pulled the goalie they ended up with two EN goals against and I don't think anyone was surprised.

There's always a risk associated with pulling the goalie, but this seems a lot like a football coach punting on 4th and 3 from the opponent's 40, down ten points with five minutes left.

Edited by Eleven

There's always a risk associated with pulling the goalie, but this seems a lot like a football coach punting on 4th and 3 from the opponent's 40, down ten points with five minutes left.

I'd say more like down by 20 points on your own 40 and having scored a single field goal on the only time they were able to cross mid-field.

In short, the team wasn't doing anything at that point.

I'd say more like down by 20 points on your own 40 and having scored a single field goal on the only time they were able to cross mid-field.

In short, the team wasn't doing anything at that point.

Well, that makes for a pretty trash movie.

Scene: Pacino walks in the locker room at the half. Team is seated, exhausted.

Pacino: "life is a game of inches....but you guys suck, so it."

Fade out, roll credits.

Well, that makes for a pretty trash movie.

Scene: Pacino walks in the locker room at the half. Team is seated, exhausted.

Pacino: "life is a game of inches....but you guys suck, so ###### it."

Fade out, roll credits.

Because the,movies are so realistic.

It was definitely the wrong decision by Phil purely from a "do what it takes to win" point of view, for yesterday's game.

I guess he thinks he's sending a message.

Well, if we're doing what it takes why not just injure the opponents star players?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.