GDT: Sabres @ Ducks, 9pm edt, MSG 10/15/17

LGR4GM

Yep. Eichel's best game as a pro. Played a complete game & you just knew he was going to wind up w / the puck on every battle.

I wouldn't go that far. He played really well, but I've seen better from him. Even with the great defensive effort today, I'll take one of his 4 point games.

I almost posted after two about how Johnson always looks so much in control, except for his one leaky goal per game.

Didn't want to jinx him. You can all thank me now. :flirt:

He should start Tuesday.

Agreed.

Edited by Thorny

This is where he can really set himself apart from some of the other young superstars.

It could be.

This weekend he really looked comfortable in his own end. Don't know that has been the case for full games previously.

There was 1 shift about 1/2 way through the 3rd where Eichel had been the low forward in Anaheim's end and ended up the last guy back. He hustled back & waived Pominville back up to cover the point as soon as they hit their own zone. He wouldn't have done that before tonight.

Scandella was excellent with his stick. nothing got by him.

Lehner does not win this game.

Lehner should not start Tuesday.

Completely agree. I expect to see Ocho.

Other notes:

- that was by far the best 200-foot game I’ve seen Eichel play.

- Scandella is officially the Sabres’ best defenseman.

- Another solid game by Beaulieu — not even one awful TO, I don’t think — and, yes, Gorges.

- Reino made a number of crappy plays with the puck but he didn’t quit and created a number of chances too.

- Good for Bailey. He’s got another opportunity, probably earlier than expected due to KO’s injury and general team suckitude. If he keeps bringing it like that he won’t get sent down again.

- Signs of life from ROR, although not so much in the offensive zone. Still, it feels like it’s coming.

- I liked the psychology move by Howie in having the new leader Jack and the struggling vet leader ROR on at the end, plus the ornery earned-his-spot Larsson.

- Vegas baby Vegas.

How are we offensively on EV? Shots? Goals?

Not sure and don't know where to find it right now. But I know our team shooting percentage was very low to start

Yeah a win. Lets not go crazy. Ana was without 7 players including Lindholm, Getzlaf, Kesler, and Vatanen.

Dude, come on. 

You can mope in the corner but don't try to get us to join in.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Good point. We should only go crazy after losses.

No one went crazy after the first loss. It was the 5th that was doing people in.

I’m happy, very, about the win. Historically, the Sabres have been awful in the 2nd game of a back to back. This shows some heart and effort and that is all I’ve been asking for. It is a real positive. We need to give the same effort on Tuesady.

What is Reinhart going to demand in contract negotiations at this rate? JBot may be able to capitalize on his stat line and get a nice bargain, if Sam and his agent are for some reason willing to negotiate right now, in season.

Reinhart nor the Sabres will talk ANY earlier than January 1 & likely not until April. By then, he'll be wharever he is. Right now, he's had 1 OK game & 1 good game and still no points. He'll come around & likely get a bridge deal.

Nice.

What I really wanted to see, was would they play hard after a tough loss or quit and they played hard. Probably the best they've skated all season. Much much better. I know Anaheim was a depleted line up, but this was what I wanted to see, true effort and desire.  Now we shall see what they can do against a slower choke and block everything off type of team in Vegas. 

A few observations/critiques,

1. Bailey CAN be quite good, but will he be hungry and want it every shift from here on in? If he plays like that, he will be a solid addition.

2. Kane's lack of discipline and dumb penalties will lose us many games if teams we play have decent power plays. He has got to learn to not be lazy with his stick and not be dumb.

3. Jack has to shoot more. He is trying to set up his wingers too much and not firing the puck enough. 

4. They almost blew it shooting for that open net and not controlling the puck first. Possession and puck control is an ongoing issue and there is much work to be done.

Enjoy the win guys, it just felt so much better didn't it? 

Edited by Pokey Jones

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.