GDT: Sabres @ Ducks, 9pm edt, MSG 10/15/17

LGR4GM

watching the highlights, it looks like we still made huge mistakes and caught a lucky bounce on the turnover that also turned into a lucky bounce goal. was it as sloppy of a win as it looked like on highlights?

Was a bit sloppy , but there were a lot of good things I saw.

Risto - Scandella is looking a lot better, mainly thanks to Scandella.

Samson was setting up some nice chances.  ( kid really deserves a break)

Eichel had a huge game, he was all over the Ice breaking up anything the ducks would do.

The sloppy part mainly came with the 3 penalties Kane had.   Those were some really bad ones.

Edited by Huckleberry

One little nit-pick - 

Jack, when you get the puck in the slot, dead center, just shoot, man. You led the league last year in shots per game and aren't close this year. You aren't being selfish. Your shot is wicked. Use it in situations like that, you will score a lot of goals and we will win a lot of games.

Could be a Housley thing just to make Jack more aware of his wingers.  Maybe at some point he'll take the pass-first restriction off.

Breaking it down, not much difference between tonight and last night.

But the W is nice.

I'll disagree with this (easy to say, of course, based on the results).  I thought the Kings were the somewhat better team vs the Sabres, but I thought the Sabres were the somewhat better team vs the Ducks.  The Kings almost ran the Sabres out of the building in the 2nd period.

I also think the Sabres have been getting a bit better every game since the NJD/NYI debacles.

And maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think it's because Howie knows how to coach them.

Has it been so long that no one remembers celebrating a win with this?

Still weird they play Tennyson over Antipin though.

Yes, I don't see Tennyson as having any upside.  Antipin, on the other hand, could potentially be generating significant offense from the back side.

I'll disagree with this (easy to say, of course, based on the results).  I thought the Kings were the somewhat better team vs the Sabres, but I thought the Sabres were the somewhat better team vs the Ducks.  The Kings almost ran the Sabres out of the building in the 2nd period.

I also think the Sabres have been getting a bit better every game since the NJD/NYI debacles.

And maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think it's because Howie knows how to coach them.

The way Eichel and Reinhart have responded gives me hope. I can't recall either of them looking quite as good at any point under Bylsma as they have looked these last two games. 

I need them to come out with just as much effort against Las Vegas tomorrow night. If they can string 3 consistent efforts together then I might be able to start feeling better. 

Has it been so long that no one remembers celebrating a win with this?

Yes, I don't see Tennyson as having any upside.  Antipin, on the other hand, could potentially be generating significant offense from the back side.

lol he looks so young!

I agree on the tennyshon thing. 

:(

Eastern Daylight time, EDT, if we're being pedantic. 

I guess we were. Well I am 1 for 1 on GDT threads as far as wins go so hopefully we'll let this little screw up slide. 

The way Eichel and Reinhart have responded gives me hope. I can't recall either of them looking quite as good at any point under Bylsma as they have looked these last two games.

I need them to come out with just as much effort against Las Vegas tomorrow night. If they can string 3 consistent efforts together then I might be able to start feeling better.

Watching Reino walk through the D multiple times this weekend gives me hope. He was beaten into submission about not taking risks and making the safe play with Abysmal. It's so refreshing to see gifted offensive players using what God gave them to get to this level.

I don't think that guy is Tennyson. I've actually been impressed with Tennyson (maybe it's just me). That guy is clearly Kane IMO. No way he should be on the PP1 unit or playing with Jack. If Sam is kept as a third line winger then he's next on the list.

I don't think that guy is Tennyson. I've actually been impressed with Tennyson (maybe it's just me). That guy is clearly Kane IMO. No way he should be on the PP1 unit or playing with Jack. If Sam is kept as a third line winger then he's next on the list.

I agree, it's Kane. But I think that's also a product of "what am I supposed to do with this guy?". 

It seems like every coach has a player that he keeps using in a way that drives fans crazy.

Hopefully it will change when Bogo returns, but for now it appears that Tennyson is Phil's guy.

My hope is that, seeing Antipin play, Housley sees trends in his game that he wants to change (perhaps due to the North American game compared to European game) and has decided to address those in practice rather than live game action (since Antipin doesn't want to go to the A).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.