ROR, what is happening?

StuckinFL

Ever since he was traded to this team I have loved this guy. Every shift was 100% effort, and his 2 way skill was amazing. He would win most battles for the puck and could strip the puck off almost anyone in the league. The biggest thing we heard about him prior to the trades was how he made everyone around him better. He was my pick along with many others to be the captain despite the fact that Eichel would be the face of the franchise. My biggest concern is that DD played him too many minutes and would wear him down.

Now he looks completely disengaged and uninterested. He rarely even attempts to strip the puck off an opponent. His line looks completely lost. The only part of his game that seems to be intact is his face off %.

What happened to him? Is he hiding an injury? Did 2 years of working for DD wear his body down? Is being a vegan having an effect? Is there some sort of family issue going on? Is it conditioning issues? Its scary to see such an admired player do a complete 180°. What happened to him?

Continuous losing will do that to you. Its like opening up negative pathways in your brain when you always think negatively. This guy has done nothing but lose since he was traded for. As have many of the others. The new guys not so much. Our core was basically weaned on losing at the N.H.L. level.

Continuous losing will do that to you. Its like opening up negative pathways in your brain when you always think negatively. This guy has done nothing but lose since he was traded for. As have many of the others. The new guys not so much. Our core was basically weaned on losing at the N.H.L. level.

To be fair he only had one winning season in Co

True. So he's done nothing but lose.

Bogo and Kane have the longest streaks without seeing a playoff game in the NHL.

Pominville and Scandella have done a bit of winning. Gorges and Nolan.

Has anyone else even played on a good team?

(Insert Freeman comment about what a tank will do for you here)

Edited by dudacek

I dunno. He does appear in some kind of funk. Maybe he's just not happy or settled in on this team anymore.

It almost looks like he came in a bit out of shape compared to previous years. May not have trained hard this off season or as crazy hard as those video's we saw of him over the summer running those beach stairs and in the Gym working with his older Bro when we first acquired him.

We did change the GM who brought him as a franchise guy to build around, he did say he wanted out of CO because he wanted to be that guy. Now we made Jack that guy then we also let go his brother. Maybe Jay Bot won't let him bring his dog to work anymore since they changed the pet rec area into bike parking.

Whatever it is he certainly has not brought the same intensity to his trade as he showed in first two seasons. I know he does get paid a lot and we all think that should motivate him to give his best but the best motivation never comes from money. I sure hope he has not lost that for this team now that he is no longer the guy.       

To be fair he only had one winning season in Co

Beat me to it.  He's made the playoffs twice (zero series wins) in his 9 NHL seasons, and once in his last 8.

And yes, continuous losing -- especially self-inflicted -- begets more losing.

I'm in the "he'll come around" camp.  Overall for the team, the SJ game was a lot better than the last two.  We hoped the team would come together on the western road trip but to expect them to have it all figured out in the first game of the trip may have been unrealistic.

With a five-man attack system, I can see where it's harder, especially in the offensive zone, since instead of focusing on your wingers you also have to track your Dmen.  It can be a lot to process until each player gets used to the system and the players are in their proper spots.  So ROR is looking for his teammates but they're not where he expects them to be on a consistent basis.  Hard to concentrate on offense if you're also having to backfill a point position to cover a rushing/pinching Dman, etc.  Lots of small hesitations lead to sluggish-looking performance; out-of-sync timing leads to bad passing.  Things looked better yesterday; hopefully they continue to improve.

My understanding was he started it 2 years ago

I guess it's possible. I thought he started all that crap when he was in Colorado though and he seemed to play fine for us until the start of this season. Maybe he needs to get another DUI. He seemed to play pretty well after that happened.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.