How fine is Sam Reinhart?

dudacek

Reinhart  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Sam Reinhart?

• He's one of our best wingers, let him be that player
    • He's a natural centre, let him be that player
    • His versatility is an asset, move him around as roster needs dictate
    • He's a great trade chip, cash it in
  2. 2. What do you expect this season

• A move back to wing and maybe 50ish points; he is what he is
    • A drop in points because of the lack of talent around him as the 3C
    • A breakout year, he's going to be better regardless of his position
    • Steady improvement at C, until he is effectively a good 2C by seasons end
    • Disappointment; he's not that good and a poor fit for Housley

I hate those "coulda-woulda-shoulda" articles.  At that point in time it was pretty well agreed that Samson was the best player available at that point.

I don't agree with this at all.  There was plenty of speculation about whether the Sabres would go for Reino, Bennett or Draisaitl.

I don't agree with this at all.  There was plenty of speculation about whether the Sabres would go for Reino, Bennett or Draisaitl.

Yeah, it was a 3-way race between Sam, Sam, and Leon. No one was clearly ahead of the other. I always liked Draisaitl, but the board coalesced around Reinhart since everyone claimed he had the best "hockey IQ" (which I've always thought means: not very fast, not very physical, but scores anyway). That draft was also when everyone first freaked out above pull-ups at the combine!

It's kind of like every major move- there are a few contrarians but in general the fan base (and the forum) gets behind the move *at the time* as an indication that that the team is moving forward.  Just like when we got GMTM people loved him and it was only later (for most of the forum after he was already fired) that the board turned on him.  So it was when the Sabres drafted Samson- he was a shiny object that was admired by most.

But the forum falls in love with these changes so much that we start to believe the hype, and when a player/coach/GM/whatever doesn't live up to the hype machine (which was by its very nature unrealistic), people fall away and start to point at the move as a major mistake.  In hindsight maybe it was a mistake, but it's hard to know that when the choice was made.

So right now, compared to the hype, Reinhart is a failure.  But look from the outside:  What would another team think of him?  What is his value in the league?  And I think most would agree Reinhart is a good player, but still hasn't reached his ceiling.  It's all the more apparent when you put him next to Jack who's a generational talent (or close to it).

Yeah, it was a 3-way race between Sam, Sam, and Leon. No one was clearly ahead of the other. I always liked Draisaitl, but the board coalesced around Reinhart since everyone claimed he had the best "hockey IQ" (which I've always thought means: not very fast, not very physical, but scores anyway). That draft was also when everyone first freaked out above pull-ups at the combine!

Part of the Leon fear was that he would be another Grigerenko and no one wanted to risk another Russian bust... but he was intiquing.

Edited by North Buffalo

Part of the Leon fear was that he would be another Grigerenko and no one wanted to risk another Russian bust... but he was intiquing.

Yes, Leon had major skating issues going into his draft. While we are all down on Reinhart's skating the truth is his edgework and agility are actually very solid. His burst and speed aren't great but they are easily above average. Bennett I didn't like his overall game from what I remember, I thought Sam's was more complete. Either way, all 3 of them were right in there. I think in the end I went Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl with my rankings. 

Yes, Leon had major skating issues going into his draft. While we are all down on Reinhart's skating the truth is his edgework and agility are actually very solid. His burst and speed aren't great but they are easily above average. Bennett I didn't like his overall game from what I remember, I thought Sam's was more complete. Either way, all 3 of them were right in there. I think in the end I went Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl with my rankings. 

Not for a top-6 forward.  Well below average.

I saw him in quickly on the defenceman a couple times last night forcing turnovers.

Sam has adequate speed and he moderates his speed a lot to create space and time, which feeds this myth.

Besides, it’s not so much your speed, it’s how you use it.

Watch how often Sam is in the right place compared to the much faster Bailey.

I'm with nfreeman here. Sam has gotten faster and better at skating, but only to the point where I can call his edge-work and agility league average. His straight-line speed is still below average. 

Obviously this is all INCREDIBLY subjective. 

A lot of bad NHL players are good skaters and that's why they're in the NHL. 

It's not incredibly important for Sam, unless you need him to be the puck-carrier, because any time Sam has to carry the puck in without a teammate to pass to immediately, without fail the move is to approach the defenseman and chip it behind him and lose the race to it. 

However, get Sam with guys who understand spacing and support, and he will get you in the zone with possession more often than most other Sabres players. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

One uses the tools they have.  Skating isn't his strong suit.  But last night his anticipation, positioning and sense were central to creating three NZ turnovers and one in their end.  the one where he knocked the puck out the air and gave a touch pass to Bailey to regain the zone when the Wings were barreling out was a beauty.  He is what he is and on certain nights he dazzles you, but only if you are really paying attention.  

"However, get Sam with guys who understand spacing and support, and he will get you in the zone with possession more often than most other Sabres players. "

Sam would excel if he consistently had teammates that could carry the puck and to pass to in any situation

Edited by BuffaloBorn

One uses the tools they have.  Skating isn't his strong suit.  But last night his anticipation, positioning and sense were central to creating three NZ turnovers and one in their end.  the one where he knocked the puck out the air and gave a touch pass to Bailey to regain the zone when the Wings were barreling out was a beauty.  He is what he is and on certain nights he dazzles you, but only if you are really paying attention.

This. Sometimes I think people only value flash and/or brutality in our sport.

"However, get Sam with guys who understand spacing and support, and he will get you in the zone with possession more often than most other Sabres players. "

Sam would excel if he consistently had teammates that could carry the puck

And get open. Bailey and Kane, Bailey and Kane, Bailey and Kane...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.