GDT: NYI @ Buffalo, 9/29/2017, MSG 7pm

LGR4GM

I'm far more satisfied with Beaulieu so far, not least because he hasn't gotten hurt yet.

He is new, shiny. But I have seen the things that as a coach would cause me to bench him in a crucial situation, i.e. playoffs. Has at least one brain cramp a game that cause WTF comments.

Edited by 3putt

Whoa. Wha' happened to Thorny's post?

Was trying to reply and it went 'poof.'

I've been hacked!

No, I might have deleted it because I thought it was repetitive. What did it say? Something about my biggest problem with Bogo is that he's hurt like clockwork? If that was the one...

.....I still feel that way.

Edited by Thorny

This game simply looked too much like games from last year. Dull and boring and lacking effort in places. Listless is maybe the right word. If we hope to make the playoffs we have to beat teams like the islanders and we won't do it like this.

Things I liked:

Griffith plays solid hockey. He obviously learned some good D skills playing with the Bruins and he can skate, shows effort and looks like he wants to make the team. Definite 4th line imo and maybe even 3rd.

Beaulieu looked really good in flashes and will be a solid D improvement over time. He takes chances though so ideally he needs a solid stay at home guy to play with. 

Nolan was one of our best players tonight. This makes me happy we got him, but also makes me wonder how bad we are if the guy the Kings cut stands out this much right away in our line up. He is a lock for the 4th line at least and a definite improvement.

Things that bother me the most:

Lehner still goes down too early and lumbers around in that position. The book on him is old and he isn't improving on his weaknesses. Easy to beat high stick side. Not going to be a top 10 goalie ever.

This was close to our starting line up, and we were at home, and yet once again they lacked effort and desire. Not a good sign if this carries into real games.

Lastly, Eichel. He gets a pass cause he has to, and maybe he just doesn't care about preseason but I'm not seeing a guy with fire in his eyes who wants to prove he's as good as McDavid or Matthews and wants to earn a top dollar contract. I see a guy with tons of talent going through the motions and biding his time. Lets just hope its a preseason thing.

Bottom line, if this is what the regular season holds in store, we not only miss the playoffs, we will be near the bottom without even trying to tank.

Rewatching the Penguins-Sabres game now - do they have Jack operating as a winger in the defensive zone all the time? I was on him about being off of Crosby on the first goal, but he was shading towards the point guys and then later on again was hovering up top while Kane engaged near the crease with whoever was playing center. 

Nolan was most assuredly not one of our best players tonight. He took a dumb penalty, and was otherwise mediocre.

I agree about Eichel. That said I think what we witnessed was 2 teams just skating around getting ready for Thursday. Outside of a few guys everyone was going through the motions.

Antipin if you get a chance to watch him live, in the defensive zone his head is constantly moving. He knows where everyone is. His skating base is wide and he seems unafraid of anyone. Loved his game.

Reinhart and Griffith should be a thing and Larsson should be the other winger. Put Josefson with Nolan and the husk of Matt Moulson.

As for lehner... I'm always going to dislike him because I loved Ullmark and I wanted Boeser. None of those 3 players have made me change that opinion.

With Eichel, I saw a guy who had an 8 month injury last preseason and was playing with that in mind every second he was on the ice. 

Well, he did intentionally block a shot on the PK.  Granted he better learn to take that straight on or it'll be a short season for him.  I don't know if he was trying to avoid injury.  His moves were very much Eichel moves.  Act with arrogance that you can put the puck somewhere and 35% of the time it works and looks amazing and 65% of the time it looks like a really stupid move.  He's got potential, he needs the desire.  He can talk to the talk but until he plays the same way I'm still not sold on him.  I want to like him... he has everything he needs to absolutely dominate the game except the burning desire to do so.

Well, he did intentionally block a shot on the PK.  Granted he better learn to take that straight on or it'll be a short season for him.  I don't know if he was trying to avoid injury.  His moves were very much Eichel moves.  Act with arrogance that you can put the puck somewhere and 35% of the time it works and looks amazing and 65% of the time it looks like a really stupid move.  He's got potential, he needs the desire.  He can talk to the talk but until he plays the same way I'm still not sold on him.  I want to like him... he has everything he needs to absolutely dominate the game except the burning desire to do so.

You truly are this board's realist-in-residence.

Well, he did intentionally block a shot on the PK. Granted he better learn to take that straight on or it'll be a short season for him. I don't know if he was trying to avoid injury. His moves were very much Eichel moves. Act with arrogance that you can put the puck somewhere and 35% of the time it works and looks amazing and 65% of the time it looks like a really stupid move. He's got potential, he needs the desire. He can talk to the talk but until he plays the same way I'm still not sold on him. I want to like him... he has everything he needs to absolutely dominate the game except the burning desire to do so.

This about sums up my thoughts regarding Jack as well.

I want to like him... he has everything he needs to absolutely dominate the game except the burning desire to do so.

You truly are this board's realist-in-residence.

LTS comes close to my feeling.  It isn't that he's *not* one of the best players in the league, it's that he just kind of seems alternately arrogant and disengaged between moments of brilliance.  I think I'd like him more if he played with a bit more.... humility?  And not take his abilities for granted so much.  At lower levels, he could get by on that, but in the NHL that ain't gonna work.

LTS comes close to my feeling. It isn't that he's *not* one of the best players in the league, it's that he just kind of seems alternately arrogant and disengaged between moments of brilliance. I think I'd like him more if he played with a bit more.... humility? And not take his abilities for granted so much. At lower levels, he could get by on that, but in the NHL that ain't gonna work.

Or, if only he'd play more like Moulson & Reinhart. Then everything would be peachy.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.