Predictions for 2017-18 Season

Marvelo

It's not like the Sabres had 54 points last year and need a 20 game swing in the win-loss category this year to make the playoffs.  There's no reason we can't make the playoffs barring any catastrophic injuries again.  I just can't believe that Eichel will miss another 21 games, Okposo 17, RoR 10, Kane 12 and numerous others like Ennis, Bogosian, Larrson etc that also missed significant time.  4 of our top 6 forwards all missed a lot of time, that is no small thing.  If the top four stay healthy, how can you not think that we can win 7-9 more games and be in playoff contention?  

Also, there's just no way that we are going to lose every shootout again, Lehner wasn't good for sure, but, he also got no luck, not one opposing player shot it wide, hit a post, or whiffed, which happens all the time in SO's.  I would be willing to bet that Lehner worked incredibly hard on SO's this offseason.  

Then there is the defense, I have to believe that Scandella, Beaulieueueaueauiui, Antipin is going to be better than Franson, Kulikov, Gorges (I know he's still here but he will be in the press box a bunch i bet)  McCabe was a stud under Housley in the WJC's, he is going to be better and keep getting better.  Risto=Beast, then there's Bogosian, whatever

Maybe I am the eternal optimist but, I think we win 10 more games than last year, without question.

It's not like the Sabres had 54 points last year and need a 20 game swing in the win-loss category this year to make the playoffs.  There's no reason we can't make the playoffs barring any catastrophic injuries again.  I just can't believe that Eichel will miss another 21 games, Okposo 17, RoR 10, Kane 12 and numerous others like Ennis, Bogosian, Larrson etc that also missed significant time.  4 of our top 6 forwards all missed a lot of time, that is no small thing.  If the top four stay healthy, how can you not think that we can win 7-9 more games and be in playoff contention?  

Also, there's just no way that we are going to lose every shootout again, Lehner wasn't good for sure, but, he also got no luck, not one opposing player shot it wide, hit a post, or whiffed, which happens all the time in SO's.  I would be willing to bet that Lehner worked incredibly hard on SO's this offseason.  

Then there is the defense, I have to believe that Scandella, Beaulieueueaueauiui, Antipin is going to be better than Franson, Kulikov, Gorges (I know he's still here but he will be in the press box a bunch i bet)  McCabe was a stud under Housley in the WJC's, he is going to be better and keep getting better.  Risto=Beast, then there's Bogosian, whatever

Maybe I am the eternal optimist but, I think we win 10 more games than last year, without question.

Bogo is already injured and Scandella hasn't played yet.  Sounds similar to Last year already.

Bogo is already injured and Scandella hasn't played yet.  Sounds similar to Last year already.

In fairness, I did say "Bogosian-whatever" and he's day to day anyway, and Scandella, not playing in the pre-season was likely pre-cautionary, everyone knows he can play and I saw he will be ready for action Thursday...so, not like last season at all

I'm feeling my usual just before the season optimism at the moment. (logic says it'll all crash down fast in a few weeks but for now.............) There'll be some weird Housley magic and it'll all come together and we will be the surprise team of the year. 50 goals for Kane and 100+ point season for Jack. Nylander will even come up and surprise everyone making that a top level nhl trio.

Rejoice, we are currently undefeated!  

First, i think that is a good post. Second, we can totes expect Kane to miss 12 games. Third, I completely agree about the defense. 

totes?  had to look that up.

I'll bet Kane doesn't miss more than 10 games. 

1 -  They're learning a different system, it's highly likely they take a step back during the first 20 games or so.    The question is how many points will they need to make-up to get themselves into contention down the stretch.

2 - Lehner wasn't just unlucky.. he was plain awful, sliding out of position, too aggressive... and I've already seen those same tendencies in pre-season when guys get in close to him.   The book on Lehner is out and it's hold the puck, hold the puck, hold the puck and just wait for him to move out of position.     He's aggressive by nature that's part of what makes him good, but also hurts him in the shootout.

3 - I agree, I think the defense will be much better... much better at creating offense... likely a bit worse as defending in their own end.    That's my biggest concern with this club, IMO they did nothing to help reduce their SAT against, which was ranked near the bottom of the league for last forever years.    Can Housley fix that?   Time will tell.

totes?  ###### had to look that up.

I'll bet Kane doesn't miss more than 10 games. 

1 -  They're learning a different system, it's highly likely they take a step back during the first 20 games or so.    The question is how many points will they need to make-up to get themselves into contention down the stretch.

2 - Lehner wasn't just unlucky.. he was plain awful, sliding out of position, too aggressive... and I've already seen those same tendencies in pre-season when guys get in close to him.   The book on Lehner is out and it's hold the puck, hold the puck, hold the puck and just wait for him to move out of position.     He's aggressive by nature that's part of what makes him good, but also hurts him in the shootout.

3 - I agree, I think the defense will be much better... much better at creating offense... likely a bit worse as defending in their own end.    That's my biggest concern with this club, IMO they did nothing to help reduce their SAT against, which was ranked near the bottom of the league for last forever years.    Can Housley fix that?   Time will tell.

1.  I get that, new coach new system, but, the Leafs got through all that pretty quickly and really turned it around fast, they went from last place to playoffs in one off-season.  Granted they had some luck, no big injuries for example, but there's no reason we can't do the same this year.

2.  We shall see about Lehner, you could be very right, but still, I can't accept that we won't get any luck whatsoever like some posts, wide shots and whiffs, or Lehner making some stops.  

3.  Any improvement will help and I believe that Housley is the man for that.

I am a little worried about October though, having a west coast trip that early is rough.  Although, if you assume we arent going to play well early on while they learn the new system, then maybe it's good to get a west coast trip out of the way early.

Bold predictions

1) Sabres narrowly miss the playoffs and finish 5th in the Atlantic with 88 pts.  The offense is more dynamic with surprising 3rd line production for Sam and Pommers, but although the D is more active, the Sabres plan many track meet type of games with scores like 5-4, 3-4 etc.... The team scores 225 goals, but allows 230 again.  One reason for the lack of improvement on the back end is injuries again on the back end.  Gorges plays much more often then anyone wants, but Tennyson becomes this years Falk.  (EDIT: Vogl is one of his preview articles wrote that the Sabres averaged 2.64 goals for per game after Jack's return.  This translates to 216 goals for over of the course of a full season.  Nashville's D scored 45 goals to our 17 last season.  If this system works, we could blow the doors off my 225 goals for prediction).

2) Jack scores 40 and adds 50 assists to become the first Sabre since Briere to crack 90 pts.  Sam add 25g 35a from the 3rd center position and gets a 5yr 6 mill per season deal of his trouble in the off-season.

3) Kane is traded for a 2nd (2018 and conditional 3rd (2019 - becomes a 2nd if he re-signs with new team) at the deadline.  While he manages to stay somewhat healthy and add 20 goals by the deadline, he gets in Housley's dog house of lazy play.  Nylander is recalled to replace him.

4) Mittelstud wins the HObey Baker and scoring 65 pts leading the Gophers deep into the Frozen Four.  His play and that of Nylander make Kane expendable.

5) Ullmark has a great season for the Amerks.  Lehner is traded in the off-season for additional LW wing depth and Johnson is re-signed to share the net with Ullmark in  2018-19.

6) Girgensons has his best season as a Sabres with 20 goals and 20 assists and fills Foligno's old role perfectly.  

7) Antipin plays better then expected and becomes a force on the PP.  He earns a 3 year 9 mill contract.

8) Bogo is bought out after the season because of injuries and inept play.  Still no takers for Moulson and his 5 goals.  Sabres send him to Roch mid-season.

Edited by GASabresFan

My prediction? Nylander will be with the Sabres by the end of January and will finish the season as one of our better players.

Totally agree, tough year last year with a crap team in Roch. At World Juniors showed he was still in the top group of players within his peer group.  Put him on the LW with Samson and I think he will flourish.  

Team prediction: 5th in the Division, 10th in conference - 90 points.   Yes,I'll be happy with the improvement.

Bold predictions

1) Sabres narrowly miss the playoffs and finish 5th in the Atlantic with 88 pts.  The offense is more dynamic with surprising 3rd line production for Sam and Pommers, but although the D is more active, the Sabres plan many track meet type of games with scores like 5-4, 3-4 etc.... The team scores 225 goals, but allows 230 again.  One reason for the lack of improvement on the back end is injuries again on the back end.  Gorges plays much more often then anyone wants, but Tennyson becomes this years Falk.

2) Jack scores 40 and adds 50 assists to become the first Sabre since Briere to crack 90 pts.  Sam add 25g 35a from the 3rd center position and gets a 5yr 6 mill per season deal of his trouble in the off-season.

3) Kane is traded for a 2nd (2018 and conditional 3rd (2019 - becomes a 2nd if he re-signs with new team) at the deadline.  While he manages to stay somewhat healthy and add 20 goals by the deadline, he gets in Housley's dog house of lazy play.  Nylander is recalled to replace him.

4) Mittelstud wins the HObey Baker and scoring 65 pts leading the Gophers deep into the Frozen Four.  His play and that of Nylander make Kane expendable.

5) Ullmark has a great season for the Amerks.  Lehner is traded in the off-season for additional LW wing depth and Johnson is re-signed to share the net with Ullmark in  2018-19.

6) Girgensons has his best season as a Sabres with 20 goals and 20 assists and fills Foligno's old role perfectly.  

7) Antipin plays better then expected and becomes a force on the PP.  He earns a 3 year 9 mill contract.

8) Bogo is bought out after the season because of injuries and inept play.  Still no takers for Moulson and his 5 goals.  Sabres send him to Roch mid-season.

I don't know if i would classify all of these as bold predictions to be honest, they're very positive and optimistic, but i wouldn't say bold.  

You do have a couple bold statments, I think Reinhart having 60 pts on the 3rd line is bold, so you get that one for sure and Girgensons having 40 pts is also quite bold.

I never want to see Beaulieu on the ice again.  Ever.  I haven't hated a Sabre defenseman this much this quickly ever in my life.  Staple him to the press box, sedn him to Rochester, I don't give a damn.  Stop suiting him up immediately.

In fairness to him, much like the last Moe-ray-all D-man they traded for, he should NEVER BE ON THE TOP D-PAIRING. He's a 6 w/ a max ceiling of 4/5 (& likely 6).

The monstrous brain fart for the 1st shorty against was unfathomable though & wasn't from top pairing (top PP but not top pair). That displayed such an extreme lack of awareness that you'd almost hope he was trying to "shave points." At least then we don't wonder if he'd break a 5 on the Wonderlich. :doh:

But, get Bogosian back & Scandella healthy enough to move up from the 5 (ideally to 2) & the D looks a lot less clueless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.