Predictions for 2017-18 Season

Marvelo

Guys, I just canceled my NHL Center Ice full season package. This is the first time in years. I have always been blindly optimistic about the hometown team but this year I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I've had the rug pulled out from under me for too many seasons. 

I don't like the signs I see from the Sabres this year. The ownership with its volatile and arbitrary decision making, the drastic change in management, the players who have been psychologically ruined by losing too many years in a row...

I am disturbed that Eichel hasn't signed yet. I'm disturbed at how Reinhart has not looked to be even close to a #2 overall pick. I personally feel that these two are not long for Buffalo, for different reasons. Eichel because he can't stand losing and Reinhart because he is inconsistent and possibly with an attitude problem, like his brother Griffin who was also a top draft choice and who has bounced from team to team...

I am not liking the development of Nylander either. He isn't his brother although I'm willing to be more patient O'Reilly has not impressed me for all the money the Sabres paid him. Thirtysomething Moulson is also being grossly overpaid as is Pominville, although Jason may still produce 5 on 5. I don't think you can count on Moulson to score 5 on 5. Kane has always been a concern with his attitude and how it might rub off on the youngsters. They kicked Gionta to the curb and I'm sure he could produce like a Moulson or Pominville at least at less than 1/3 the cost.

I think the D has seen a big upgrade but the offense still can't score against quality opponents. If the Sabres can't score 5 on 5, which I can see happening, they will not win much in regulation. And if they can't excel in the 3 on 3 OT, ( I can see that the Sabres might excel with the phony 3 on 3 format) then it goes to shootout and I don't see Lehner doing much better than last year.  

I see Jack as a kid with tremendous talent but he is immature...and I don't think he wants to be losing in Buffalo. That's the bottom line for me. 

Granted, I like Housely as a coach, he gets Buffalo. And Botterill has made some good moves, especially shoring up the D. But I don't think this collection of players doesn't seem to care about playing specifically for the fans of Buffalo, who have suffered so much over time that the rink has become a morgue. (with a lame in-game experience, it might just stay that way...) I think these players have no feeling for Buffalo and  might as well play for any other team with similar results.

So that's why I am taking the wait and see subscribing my hard earned $ to NHL Center Ice.

I just don't see the Sabres achieving anything other than the usual .500 (+/-)

Reinhart has an attitude problem? ######. His brother had bounced around for the same reason Reinhart is having issues, skating.

I'm fine with you not spending money but don't start rumors.

It's not a rumor, it's an opinion. I just don't see aggressiveness in Sam. Maybe going through all this frustration and losing has really worn on these players psyche.

7th in the Atlantic ahead of Detroit but slightly over 500 with 84 pts.  You look at our lineup and while the D may be better, the offensive depth is lousy.  We are talking about Pouliot and Pommers playing in our top 6.  That simply isn't good enough.  To make matters worse, none of our "mature" prospects have stepped up to earn a top 9 role.  Griffith, a TOR cast off, looks like he may very well end up in our top 9.  

Edited by GASabresFan

7th in the Atlantic ahead of Detroit but slightly over 500 with 84 pts.  You look at our lineup and while the D may be better, the offensive depth is lousy.  We are talking about Pouliot and Pommers playing in our top 6.  That simply isn't good enough.  To make matters worse, none of our "mature" prospects have stepped up to earn a top 9 role.  Griffith, a TOR cast off, looks like he may very well end up in our top 9.

More than a little truth, here.

Ok, let's see your best optimistic take now. Please?

More than a little truth, here.

Ok, let's see your best optimistic take now. Please?

What? That was the optimistic take.  

Actually, I've written before that a 10% improvement on both sides of the puck would give us a slightly positive goal differential and only a handful of teams (the Sabres twice sadly) have missed the playoffs with a positive goal differential.  I can easily see us improve 10% on defense.  Scandella and Beaulieu are easily a 5-10% improvement over Franson and Kulikov.  Add in maturity from McCabe and Ristolainen and we should cut at least 15-20 goals from our goals against.

Now how do we squeeze out 15-20 goals additional from our offense.  Certainly staying healthy (That means you Jack, Kane, ROR and KO) should add at least 10-15 goals (one would hope), but we can't rely on that.  Players get hurt.  It's the nature of NHL hockey.  We sent 38 goals out (Ennis, Carrier, Gionta and Foligno) and only brought back 22 (Pommers, Josefson and Pouliot  - Griffith had no NHL goals last year).     The offense will have to make up those 16 goals plus come up with another 15-20.  This may be asking to much.  I had hoped that Baptiste or Bailey or Fasching would finally seize the opportunity and prove themselves as 15-20 goal capable.  Sadly none have so far.  

So If the team can cut goals against from 231 to around 210 and the offense can move the needle from 199 goals for and against 210-215, we will be fighting for a playoff spot.  I think this is the most optimistic scenario.  

Marvelo wants to steal my label as resident website pessimist :)

I'm keeping my nhl package but I see few signs for optimism.  You know in preseason you just want signs, glimmers, flashes or moments to give you hope. there aren't many so far.

Pokey, you're the Resident Website Pessimist after only 111 posts? You have to work harder than that my friend.

This pessimism thing reminds me of a scientific experiment I once heard of where they had two rats in a maze. They gave one shocks but not the other one. The one that kept getting shocked got complacent and just stayed in the same place all the time, awaiting its punishment. The other one roamed free until he solved the maze. That's us, the fans, or the rats that keep getting shocked. I don't know how people are not pessimists with this kind of recent history. The tank two years in a row left me in a fetal position. But it took the Cubs 100 years...Calling Steve Bartman!

Edited by Marvelo

Oh come on now. If Reinhart turns into the centre most on here hope he can be then we have arguably a top 3 centre spine in the league. Throw in one of those young guys figuring it out before Christmas and the forward group will be fine. Christ, Eichel not missing two months of the season should be worth 20 goals right there.

Marvelo wants to steal my label as resident website pessimist :)

I'm keeping my nhl package but I see few signs for optimism. You know in preseason you just want signs, glimmers, flashes or moments to give you hope. there aren't many so far.

I too am keeping the NHL package and I think I’m more optimistic than you are, but I can’t dispute the “no glimmers of anything on the ice” observation and am starting to get concerned.

It’s hard to ignore the nagging fears that Nylander will wash out, that Reino will be solid but not a difference-maker, that Kane will depart without bringing much back in trade, that Lehner and ROR will be individually pretty decent but won’t deliver enough wins, and that Howie won’t turn chicken poop into chicken salad.

I have tempered my visceral reaction to Saturday night and am keeping the package I bought.  I think it is important to remember that we used no special teams so far and that the "NHL" roster hasn't been together as a whole in a game setting.  With the cuts and the two remaining games we may see a transition to system implementation more so than player evaluation.  Either way it is the only team I got so I am staying the course. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.