2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

You ###### can't flip a switch and win. ###### This losing ######. Win or get off my ###### team.

Sure you can. vegas didn't need to learn to Win. Avs got 49 points last year and now look at them. leafs the year before, last and in the playoffs the following year.

I feel very confident that drafting top 5 will do more for the franchise long term than an extra 5 wins to close out the season.

I'm not losing sleep over a few wins though. Even if they play at .600 clip (100 point season), it would take a huge Tank by either the Canucks, Canadians or Panthers to pass them.

You ###### can't flip a switch and win. ###### This losing ######. Win or get off my ###### team.

Someone tell the Devils and Avalanche.

I would too. I'm just not cheering for it this go 'round.

I was cheering for them to win this year but they squandered the first two thirds of the season.  I'm not really that excited about them suddenly giving a crap for the last 30 games and finishing 25th overall versus 30th.  I'm at least somewhat excited about them adding a blue chip prospect in June, and making moves to be competitive next year.

Edited by Robviously

Love anti tank snark from a guy with an Eichel avatar

???

Really just poking fun at the QB purgatory the Bills put themselves in my being consistently mediocre and never having a draft slot higher than 3 despite years of sucking.

But even that joke wouldn’t be anti-tank. It would be pro-tank. Which I was for McEichel. But that’s a tired conversation no one wants to have again :P

James Mirtle had an interesting article about how Sub Six Foot D Men are starting to do better in the league. Which is intriguing for Hughes and Boqvist. However Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson both come In over 6’1”. Bouchard is a gifted passer, while Dobson plays in all three zones and Bob calls him a Potential Top Pairing D Man. There is some quality talent available in the first 8 picks of the draft.

James Mirtle had an interesting article about how Sub Six Foot D Men are starting to do better in the league. Which is intriguing for Hughes and Boqvist. However Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson both come In over 6’1”. Bouchard is a gifted passer, while Dobson plays in all three zones and Bob calls him a Potential Top Pairing D Man. There is some quality talent available in the first 8 picks of the draft.

I agree that Dobson and Bouchard will be very good players but the top 4 in this draft are immediate impact players.

4 more assists for Bouchard last night after 4 'S in the prospect game the night before. I thought his production would drop after Pu, Jones and Thomas were traded away but he has actually increased his scoring. for some reason I am still not sold on him and I can't tell you why.

An 18yr old kid won't turn this franchise around. It will take more. If Jack emerges as the leader and they win an extra 5 games that's more important than drafting 4 or 6.

Sure you can. vegas didn't need to learn to Win. Avs got 49 points last year and now look at them. leafs the year before, last and in the playoffs the following year.

I feel very confident that drafting top 5 will do more for the franchise long term than an extra 5 wins to close out the season.

I'm not losing sleep over a few wins though. Even if they play at .600 clip (100 point season), it would take a huge Tank by either the Canucks, Canadians or Panthers to pass them.

Vegas is playing above their ability. They are the oilers of this year. They have a guy shooting at 27% which is beyond unsustainable. They also didn't spend years losing long Buffalo. It's time to start striving for playoffs. Hell we could still win the lottery anyways.

testing results CHL prospects game

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/chls-top-prospects-showcase-strengths-in-sport-testing-combine

Dobsons name shows up in a lot of the skating drills.

An 18yr old kid won't turn this franchise around. It will take more. If Jack emerges as the leader and they win an extra 5 games that's more important than drafting 4 or 6.

Not asking for an 18 year old to turn team around in a season. Looking for them to come in and contribute to the turn around is not out of the question.

Watched the prospects game again this morning and to change my mind on Bouchard / Dobson. Both right hand Dmen who skate extremely well.

So let's hope we get lucky in the lottery but drafting 7th or 8th is as good as drafting 5th. (Don't see the Sabres in last which guarantees a top 4 pick)

testing results CHL prospects game

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/chls-top-prospects-showcase-strengths-in-sport-testing-combine

Dobsons name shows up in a lot of the skating drills.

Not asking for an 18 year old to turn team around in a season. Looking for them to come in and contribute to the turn around is not out of the question.

Watched the prospects game again this morning and to change my mind on Bouchard / Dobson. Both right hand Dmen who skate extremely well.

So let's hope we get lucky in the lottery but drafting 7th or 8th is as good as drafting 5th. (Don't see the Sabres in last which guarantees a top 4 pick)

If you draft Tkachuck I'd say yes, if you have a shot at Boqvist then no.

If you draft Tkachuck I'd say yes, if you have a shot at Boqvist then no.

I do agree that Boqvist is still preferred to Dobson/Bouchard but I am a little confused by Boqvist at the moment. He was sooooooo good at the Ivan Hlinka, then started off great for the Brynas J20 team. earning a call up for the SHL. Didn't do a lot there, 1 assist in 7 or 8 games. Was then loaned to Altuna of the 2nd division and still couldn't earn ice time. Recalled back to Brynas last week but barely plays. Yesterday he played a grand total of 2 mins.

He seems kinda stuck. Too good for juniors but not good enough for the men's team. Just makes me wonder about him a little. I'm hoping he plays for Sweden at the u18s.

I do agree that Boqvist is still preferred to Dobson/Bouchard but I am a little confused by Boqvist at the moment. He was sooooooo good at the Ivan Hlinka, then started off great for the Brynas J20 team. earning a call up for the SHL. Didn't do a lot there, 1 assist in 7 or 8 games. Was then loaned to Altuna of the 2nd division and still couldn't earn ice time. Recalled back to Brynas last week but barely plays. Yesterday he played a grand total of 2 mins.

He seems kinda stuck. Too good for juniors but not good enough for the men's team. Just makes me wonder about him a little. I'm hoping he plays for Sweden at the u18s.

He also did not make their U-20 team.

I've never seen the kid play so I'm blind on this one. I have seen all of the other top guys play.

The scouts will have to be firm to pick him, he could slide.

Corey Pronman released his Mid Season Rankings at The Athletic. Calls the class below average overall, but is impressed with the D Men.

Biggest surprise Ryan Merkley at 6.

Brady Tkatchuk at 15.

Hughes at 3, Boqvist at 5

Dobson 24, Bouchard at 26.

Edit Wahlstrom at 7.

And Liger has convinced me on him

Each year for the last 6 or so years, I’ve made a spreadsheet to review and compile the various prospect ratings from reliable sources sich as TSN, McKeens, ISS etc.. I’ve compiled 8 sources so far with recent ratings and some patterns are emerging. Looking at the entire board so far, it looks like there are 24 prospects most analysts think are going in the 1st rd. Plus another 2 groups of 9 who could sneak into the 1st rd. None of this means that guys can’t slip or by taken way before expected, but the list has proven pretty accurate over the years.

One note, I looked back at my list from 2014. Sam, Leon and Bennett were pretty much tied for 2nd. One interesting note, All-star Point was 39th on my list. He fell to Tampa at 79. Instead we drafted Cornel at 44, Karabacek at 49 and Martin at 72. Thanks TM.

I’ve placed them in 6 tiers with the top tier having 3 sub-tiers.

Top 24

Tier 1A- Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina

Tier 1B - Tkachuk and Boqvist

Tier 1C- Hughes and Wahlstrom

Tier 2 - Kupari, Ty Smith, Farabee, Dobson, Wilde, and Bouchard

Tier 3 - Lundestrom, Velano, Hayton, McIssac, Kotkaniemi, and McLeod

Tier 4- Merkley, Denisenko, Thomas, Woo and Groulx

Next 9

Tier 5 - McBain, Olofsson, Addison, Noel, and Alexeyev

Tier 6 - Miller, Bokk, Samuelsson, and Tychonick

I have done some other reading on him and he does have a quick release, a perfect Winger for Jack.

I

Dahlin>Bouchard>Hughes>Boqvist

Zadina>Svech>Wahlstrom

Check out Dobson - read a lot of great stuff on him recently and watched the 3rd period of his game yesterday. i wish I could post some of his shifts on here as he was tremendous. 

I have Dobson over Bouchard. I want a great skater, Bouchard is not that. Dahlin, Hughes, Boqvist and Dobson are.

Only complaint I've heard about Wahlstrom is his consistency, he does everything well just can be lackadaisical at times.

Right now I would say:

Dahlin

Zadina > Svech > Wahlstrom

Bouchard > Hughes/Boqvist

While I respect and understand that smaller defenders are the trend I worry about selling out for small defenders (sub 6').  If I had to make a top 10 list today...

1. Dahlin
  2. Zadina,
  3. Svechnikov
  4. Tkachuk 
  5. Boqvist (benefit of the doubt right now)
  6. Wahlstrom
  7. Bouchard
  8. Hughes 
  9. Isac Lundstrom
  10. Bode Wilde

Honestly I see a break currently after pick 8.  There seems to be a clear demarcation there.  Idk if that will be the case come June. Usually the final rankings and reports in April and May really help to tell you what is going on. Also you can find more highlights and game videos then if you are bored and want to take a look. Personally I like to see everyone skate and see how they score goals. 

Each year for the last 6 or so years, I’ve made a spreadsheet to review and compile the various prospect ratings from reliable sources sich as TSN, McKeens, ISS etc.. I’ve compiled 8 sources so far with recent ratings and some patterns are emerging. Looking at the entire board so far, it looks like there are 24 prospects most analysts think are going in the 1st rd. Plus another 2 groups of 9 who could sneak into the 1st rd. None of this means that guys can’t slip or by taken way before expected, but the list has proven pretty accurate over the years.

One note, I looked back at my list from 2014. Sam, Leon and Bennett were pretty much tied for 2nd. One interesting note, All-star Point was 39th on my list. He fell to Tampa at 79. Instead we drafted Cornel at 44, Karabacek at 49 and Martin at 72. Thanks TM.

I’ve placed them in 6 tiers with the top tier having 3 sub-tiers.

Top 24
Tier 1A- Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina
Tier 1B - Tkachuk and Boqvist
Tier 1C- Hughes and Wahlstrom
Tier 2 - Kupari, Ty Smith, Farabee, Dobson, Wilde, and Bouchard
Tier 3 - Lundestrom, Velano, Hayton, McIssac, Kotkaniemi, and McLeod
Tier 4- Merkley, Denisenko, Thomas, Woo and Groulx

Next 9
Tier 5 - McBain, Olofsson, Addison, Noel, and Alexeyev
Tier 6 - Miller, Bokk, Samuelsson, and Tychonick

This seems roughly what I think.  I like Lundestrom a little more right now but maybe the highlight package I saw and the nice scouting report made that happen.  Farabee and Wilde are also high on my list.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.