2017-2018 Lineup

WildCard

Are you saying that about Zemgus?

That's definitely an out of the box lineup.  I like the thought and you're a smart guy but I've got to give Eichel more than that.  I don't see 75-85 points coming from Eichel with that line.  We've got to give him at least one of Pominville or Kane but I think Pominville would be ideal - he knows what spot to be and Jack would thrive in the passing game with that kind of player.

I think the lineup Flagg posted was ideal. If Reinhart has to haul Deslauriers around, we are, A - Sunk next season, and B - Likely sunk beyond that, as whoever is running the show wouldn't be making reasonable decisions.

I think the lineup Flagg posted was ideal. If Reinhart has to haul Deslauriers around, we are, A - Sunk next season, and B - Likely sunk beyond that, as whoever is running the show wouldn't be making reasonable decisions.

Really?  I've admitted this before that I picked up trying to totally understand hockey later in life.

I'm blown away that you guys see that as ideal for Eichel. 

Hey, I learn a lot from you guys and a lot of reading/watching.  I've been shocked before - maybe this is another one of those times. 

If Reinhart isn't at center who do you see there beside Eichel and O'Reilly? Larrson from your wish lineup - who's the 4th?

Probably Zemgus or Josefson, no? I'm really not sure what Housley is going to do.

Really?  I've admitted this before that I picked up trying to totally understand hockey later in life.

I'm blown away that you guys see that as ideal for Eichel. 

Hey, I learn a lot from you guys and a lot of reading/watching.  I've been shocked before - maybe this is another one of those times. 

We don't know any more than you - I'm sure they'll do something like my lineup and it'll be the worst iteration of the season :P

If Reinhart isn't at center who do you see there beside Eichel and O'Reilly? Larrson from your wish lineup - who's the 4th?

You think he's a healthy scratch?  No Rochester?

Do you see Moulson getting the same treatment?

Yes about DLo because not playing him doesn't hurt his development.  He's maxed out.  I'd rather see him as the 13th man than one of the prospects that is still developing.

No about Moulson, at least not right away.  He could be a productive member of the team and at his salary you have to find out.  If he turns out to be useless then I can see bumping him down and using him as a player/unofficial development coach.

If Deslauriers plays before 6 forwards go down with injuries I'm going to punch holes in the wall.

DLo is the 13/14 forward. He plays when it looks like it might get rough, for maybe 6-8 minutes. He never moves up from the 4th line.

He was debatably the worst NHL forward to play more than a couple games last season. 

If one of the glut of Rochester forwards and Josefson don't beat him out then we have major problems. 

The Rochester forwards were better than he was in the NHL last season.My ideal lineup is something like 

Girgensons - Eichel - Baptiste (assuming he's ready)

Pouliot - O'Reilly - Okposo 

Kane - Reinhart - Pominville 

Josefson - Larsson - Fasching/Bailey/whoever else is ready

At first glance Eichel's wings are weak but he's shown chemistry with Zemgus and needs guys to make space and skate fast and let him do all the work.

Flip KO with Pommers and that's what I'm looking at to start the season too.

First three lines get relatively equal time even strength.

Eventually Jacks wingers are Nylander to finish and Fasching to work the boards. Can't happen soon enough

Pouliot - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Pominville

Deslauriers - Reinhart - Girgensons

Moulson - Larsson - Nylander

I have no idea what to do with players like Malone, Bailey, Josefson, Baptiste, Fasching and Rodrigues

IMO that would be a huge mistake, what is better for Nylander? Top line minutes in Rochester or 6-8 mins a game on the 4th line with a defensive minded center and a has been winger?  If in fact Nylander is going to be in Buffalo this season, he needs to play top 6.  Also, Reinhart centering D-lo and Z?  That's setting him up for failure.

In your lineup, I would move Nylander into P-ville's slot, then drop P-ville to Reinhart's line and drop Girgensons to the 4th line.

Offense:

Kane/Pouliot - O'Reilly - Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching

Nylander - Eichel - Okposo

Pouliot/Kane - Reinhart - Pommers

Moulson - Larsson/Josefson - Josefson/Larsson

Deslauriers

Defense:

Scandella - Risto

McCabe - Antipin

Baloo - Bogo

Gorges

Nelson

Now I put 1 of three rookies on the top line because it makes sense to my brain. I could also see Pommers starting on the top line and then a rookie taking over there. I am fully aware Jason is not what he once was. I think it would give one of the rookies mentioned time to settle in to the NHL. 

As always I put Okposo with Jack because it still makes sense to my brain. Their play style just fits IMPO. Based off of the Nylander reports I give him a chance with Eichel and Okposo to start the season. I would give him 10 games of regular shifts to prove he belongs.

As to the Kane Pouliot situation. I think that Kane can be on the top line or you can try and rekindle pouliot there. Personally I like Kane there more. ROR can run the line and Kane can be the trigger man. Fasching or Bailey or Baptiste can anchor the other side and dig pucks out. 

The 3rd line sees Reinhart at this normal position. He gets a solid veteran in Pommers and another one in either Kane or Pouliot depending on play. This helps him to acclimate while getting sheltered minutes. 

The 4th line is the left overs. Larsson I think should center it with Moulson and Josefson flanking.

Offense:

Deslauriers

Defense:

Scandella - Risto

McCabe - Antipin

Baloo - Bogo

Gorges

Nelson

Now I put 1 of three rookies on the top line because it makes sense to my brain. I could also see Pommers starting on the top line and then a rookie taking over there. I am fully aware Jason is not what he once was. I think it would give one of the rookies mentioned time to settle in to the NHL. 

As always I put Okposo with Jack because it still makes sense to my brain. Their play style just fits IMPO. Based off of the Nylander reports I give him a chance with Eichel and Okposo to start the season. I would give him 10 games of regular shifts to prove he belongs.

As to the Kane Pouliot situation. I think that Kane can be on the top line or you can try and rekindle pouliot there. Personally I like Kane there more. ROR can run the line and Kane can be the trigger man. Fasching or Bailey or Baptiste can anchor the other side and dig pucks out. 

The 3rd line sees Reinhart at this normal position. He gets a solid veteran in Pommers and another one in either Kane or Pouliot depending on play. This helps him to acclimate while getting sheltered minutes. 

The 4th line is the left overs. Larsson I think should center it with Moulson and Josefson flanking.

Bolded above, I couldn't agree more, if the plan for Nylander is to be in Buffalo, he needs to be put in a position to succeed, he needs top-6 minutes.  It would only hurt him if he sees 8 minutes a game on the 4th line.  Top-6 minutes in Buffalo or top-3 in Rochester is the only way to go.

Bolded above, I couldn't agree more, if the plan for Nylander is to be in Buffalo, he needs to be put in a position to succeed, he needs top-6 minutes.  It would only hurt him if he sees 8 minutes a game on the 4th line.  Top-6 minutes in Buffalo or top-3 in Rochester is the only way to go.

exactly. 

Why the love for Pouliot to be on the top line. Reading the Oil write up of him he was 'meh' last year? 

I think it's basically because we have nothing else on the left side except Kane, the rapidly aging Moulson, and question marks like Nylander and the other young guys like Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching who may not even keep spots on the big club to start the season. The other alternative is shifting centers like Larsson and Girgensons over to wing which has gotten mixed results at best so far. Kane is without a doubt our most talented LW at the moment but in order to balance the top 3 lines there's a good chance he gets placed lower in order to distribute our talent more evenly.

We lost 3 LW's in the offseason in Ennis, Foligno, and Carrier so until we see how Housley sets his lines it's all kind of a question mark.

Offense:

Kane - Reinhart - Pommers

IMPO, you're wasting Kane putting him with those 2 slowpokes. 

I also don't think Pommers can last the whole season playing heavy minutes with those 2, otherwise you're not getting the ultimate advantage of putting Evander and Samson together by playing them 3rd line minutes.

Offense:

Deslauriers

Defense:

Scandella - Risto

McCabe - Antipin

Baloo - Bogo

Gorges

Nelson

Spot for Girgensons?  I think Nylander starts the season in Rochester unless he's somehow developed more than would be expected in one off-season.

IMPO, you're wasting Kane putting him with those 2 slowpokes. 

I also don't think Pommers can last the whole season playing heavy minutes with those 2, otherwise you're not getting the ultimate advantage of putting Evander and Samson together by playing them 3rd line minutes.

You don't think Pommers can play 15min a night? 

You don't think Pommers can play 15min a night? 

Fair question, I just wonder if playing 3 of your top 6 scorers 15 minutes a night is adequate to keep 2 of the 3 very happy. Especially with the same 2 on contract years.

Fair question, I just wonder if playing 3 of your top 6 scorers 15 minutes a night is adequate to keep 2 of the 3 very happy. Especially with the same 2 on contract years.

You think Pommers will be a top 6 scorer? I am lost right now. Either Pommers is good enough to play 15minutes a night and contribute or he isn't. Only one way to find out. 

IMO that would be a huge mistake, what is better for Nylander? Top line minutes in Rochester or 6-8 mins a game on the 4th line with a defensive minded center and a has been winger?  If in fact Nylander is going to be in Buffalo this season, he needs to play top 6.  Also, Reinhart centering D-lo and Z?  That's setting him up for failure.

In your lineup, I would move Nylander into P-ville's slot, then drop P-ville to Reinhart's line and drop Girgensons to the 4th line.

Well it was something to get the discussion going.  Looks like I accomplished that.

I've been trying to put together my preferred projected line-up for the past 15 minutes and I'm struggling to put something together that's coherent and satisfying. There's too many extra pieces (Moulson, Girgensons, D-Lo and no solid set of top 6 wingers and it all becomes so interchangeable, add in the prospects who may be ready to make the jump and it becomes even more confusing.

Thoughts:

- I think D-LO will get waived at some point in the season.

- I agree with Liger that Eichel & Okposo should be playing together. I want to see Byslma's concept of "pairs" blown up as it obviously wasn't effective

- I also like the idea of Reinhart feeding Pommers as a 3C

- Moulson is an anchor in this line-up. He's at the stage in his career where he has to change roles and I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he's going to be able to pull that off

- Based on what I've seen from JBOT, I wouldn't be surprised to see rookie talent on the top line or two, however, these will have to be earned and I'm inclined to believe the season will start with as few rookies as possible and they will be called up over the course of the season as injuries occur.

Here's two scenarios I mustered up guessing which rookies will make the team out of camp based upon whether or not Reinhart is Centering the 3rd Line:

Projection 1:

Kane / O'Reilly / Fasching

Nylander / Eichel / Reinhart

Pouliout / Larsson / Pomstein

Moulson / Josephson / Girgensons

Projection 2:

Larsson / O'Reilly / Baptiste

Kane / Eichel / Girgensons

Pouliot / Reinhart / Pommers

Moulson / Josephson / Fasching

Fancy stats!!

I also think it's just a lack of an established top-6 winger. Who else will realistically fit there?

It just dawned on me that August is the last full non-hockey month before the season starts. 42 days until our 1st preseason game and 59 days until the puck drops to start the season. Does anyone know when training camp starts?

You think Pommers will be a top 6 scorer? I am lost right now. Either Pommers is good enough to play 15minutes a night and contribute or he isn't. Only one way to find out. 

I don't have near the hockey knowledge you do but the moment he was traded for my thought was he was brought in for Eichel.   The perfect player until a young gun is ready.

The reason I say that is he's got a high hockey IQ.  IMO we do not have a player other than Kane that can handle the quick thinking passes Eichel delivers - but Kane doesn't give that in return.  Pominville can be in the right spot and also recognize when another player is in the right spot. 

I understand he's not the same Pominville and asking him to play 5-6 more minutes compared to last year and 3 more minutes than the 2 prior years could be an issue.  Heck I don't know enough to understand if a star players line mates play similar numbers as the star - but I'm pretty sure I don't want Zemgus or Baptiste getting those kind of minutes.  At least I don't think I do.

Would love to see Nylander ready, hoping that he will be

I Would like to see:

Kane-OReilly-Baptiste

Nylander-Eichel-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Pommer

Bailey-Larsson/Josephson-Girgensons/Fasching

This comes as close as I've seen the way I like it.

No way Reinhart plays with Eichel and ROR? I know they are all centers but we have the depth to deal with that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.