2017-2018 Lineup

WildCard

McDavid is very soon to be anointed the best player in the world.  And he's in the land of super mad hockey fans. 

I don't see how the soon to be best player in the world wouldn't be more valuable to a fanbase of a team that has no other stars than the guy who might become the 5th best player in the world on a team that has no other stars.

McDavid is very soon to be anointed the best player in the world. And he's in the land of super mad hockey fans.

I don't see how the soon to be best player in the world wouldn't be more valuable to a fanbase of a team that has no other stars than the guy who might become the 5th best player in the world on a team that has no other stars.

Yup

Won a playoff series... Yes that is what use to happen. Won with Drury and Briere... Now we have Eichel and he comes to us at the turn of the tide.

This was most excellent.

McDavid is very soon to be anointed the best player in the world.  And he's in the land of super mad hockey fans. 

Because perception is reality. It's not a large logical leap. I'd argue that a large majority of Sabres fans view Eichel as our hope to lead us to the promised land, much the same as McDavid in Edmonton. Even if our success is lesser than Edmonton's, Eichel is relatively just as integral to what we'lll be able to achieve as McD is to the Oil. Will McDavid account for a higher percentage share of the Oilers points scored than Eichel will? I'm not saying he's as good as McDavid. I'm saying he's as valuable to us as McD is to them.

Does no one think that Toronto holds Matthews in the same esteem as Edmonton holds McDavid? There is more media coverage of Matthews in Canada, than McDavid.

Crosby is a greater talent than Carey Price. Price is more valuable to the Habs, than Sid is to Pittsburgh. Habs are nothing without Price.

If Matthews can be seen to be as integral to the Leafs as McDavid is to the Oilers, why can't Eichel?

^

I really don't think an argument can be made that any single current NHL player means more to their team than Jack Eichel means to the Buffalo Sabres. Not talking just on-ice production wise.

I think my original wording led me astray. What I meant to postulate is that in my view no single NHL player means more to their fanbase than Eichel does to his. I suppose it's possible that McDavid is more revered by Edmonton fans. But I don't believe that to be the case.

Living in Canada, I can definitely say Matthews is as beloved by Leafs nation and the national media as McDavid is.

Edited by Thorny

Anyway, I saw this on wgr's website. It says Nylander isn't projected to be playing for Sweden at the WJCs because the Swedes think he'll be playing for the Sabres.

I found that rather...... optimistic. Wonder if they were told something? I got the impression they weren't.

Pouliot - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Pominville

Deslauriers - Reinhart - Girgensons

Moulson - Larsson - Nylander

I have no idea what to do with players like Malone, Bailey, Josefson, Baptiste, Fasching and Rodrigues

Edited by 7+6=13

Anyway, I saw this on wgr's website. It says Nylander isn't projected to be playing for Sweden at the WJCs because the Swedes think he'll be playing for the Sabres.

Hmm that's interesting. People are saying that he's gained muscle maybe he'll make the team after camp?

If Deslauriers plays before 6 forwards go down with injuries I'm going to punch holes in the wall.

Do you think he's Rochester material only?  I don't like him but there's not a lot to choose from and he'd bring some toughness to that line or bring Girgensons down to center the 4th and Larsson to wing. 

Maybe Nylander can work his way up to that line?

Why would you out zemgus at center and Larsson to wing?

Do you think he's Rochester material only? I don't like him but there's not a lot to choose from and he'd bring some toughness to that line or bring Girgensons down to center the 4th and Larsson to wing.

Why would you out zemgus at center and Larsson to wing?

I was suggesting putting Larsson to wing with Reinhart - then Zemgus to center on the 4th line.

I wouldn't necessarily want to do that because if Nylander were to make the team, I wouldn't want him with Zemgus.

Edited by 7+6=13

Do you think he's Rochester material only?  I don't like him but there's not a lot to choose from and he'd bring some toughness to that line or bring Girgensons down to center the 4th and Larsson to wing. 

He was debatably the worst NHL forward to play more than a couple games last season. 

If one of the glut of Rochester forwards and Josefson don't beat him out then we have major problems. 

The Rochester forwards were better than he was in the NHL last season.

My ideal lineup is something like 

Girgensons - Eichel - Baptiste (assuming he's ready)

Kane - Reinhart - Pominville 

Josefson - Larsson - Fasching/Bailey/whoever else is ready

At first glance Eichel's wings are weak but he's shown chemistry with Zemgus and needs guys to make space and skate fast and let him do all the work. 

He was debatably the worst NHL forward to play more than a couple games last season. 

If one of the glut of Rochester forwards and Josefson don't beat him out then we have major problems. 

The Rochester forwards were better than he was in the NHL last season.

My ideal lineup is something like 

At first glance Eichel's wings are weak but he's shown chemistry with Zemgus and needs guys to make space and skate fast and let him do all the work. 

Are you saying that about Zemgus?

That's definitely an out of the box lineup.  I like the thought and you're a smart guy but I've got to give Eichel more than that.  I don't see 75-85 points coming from Eichel with that line.  We've got to give him at least one of Pominville or Kane but I think Pominville would be ideal - he knows what spot to be and Jack would thrive in the passing game with that kind of player.

Are you saying that about Zemgus?

That's definitely an out of the box lineup.  I like the thought and you're a smart guy but I've got to give Eichel more than that.  I don't see 75-85 points coming from Eichel with that line.  We've got to give him at least one of Pominville or Kane but I think Pominville would be ideal - he knows what spot to be and Jack would thrive in the passing game with that kind of player.

No, Deslauriers was. 

Pominville is not what we remember him to be - he needs sheltered minutes against lesser competition like he got in Minnesota. 

In theory I want to give Jack better but I want Sam at C for at least 40 games, and I don't like the way any of our other wingers play with Jack. Even when he and Evander were producing, they weren't maximizing each other because of their absurdly bad defensive zone abilities. The goals for while they were on the ice was very good, but GA/60 was absolutely horrendous. So give our superstar the Crosby-Malkin treatment and see how he does. 

No, Deslauriers was. 

Pominville is not what we remember him to be - he needs sheltered minutes against lesser competition like he got in Minnesota. 

In theory I want to give Jack better but I want Sam at C for at least 40 games, and I don't like the way any of our other wingers play with Jack. Even when he and Evander were producing, they weren't maximizing each other because of their absurdly bad defensive zone abilities. The goals for while they were on the ice was very good, but GA/60 was absolutely horrendous. So give our superstar the Crosby-Malkin treatment and see how he does. 

Oh ok. 

The only reason I did that was I like that he'll dig in the corners and can get the puck out or over to Reinhart - which is where he thrives IMO.  Reinhart that is.  When a puck gets to him out of the corner or when he's getting it himself he creates. 

I get what you're saying but you have to know they're not putting Zemgus and Baptiste with Eichel. 

Edited by 7+6=13

Oh ok. 

The only reason I did that was I like that he'll dig in the corners and can get the puck out or over to Reinhart - which is where he thrives IMO.  Reinhart that is.  When a puck gets to him out of the corner or when he's getting it himself he creates. 

I get what you're saying but you have to know they're not putting Zemgus and Baptiste with Eichel. 

I'm also not expecting to see Reinhart at center. A man can dream!

Edited by Randall Flagg

The Rochester forwards were better than he was in the NHL last season.My ideal lineup is something like 

That lineup could work.

And in ~3 seasons, have Mittelstadt & Nylander flanking Eichel w/ Girgensons, and some grouping of Bailey, Baptiste, & Fasching sliding into Pouliot's, Pominville's, & Kane's slots. And Pu & Asplund would/ could still be seasoning in Ra-cha-cha.

I found that rather...... optimistic. Wonder if they were told something? I got the impression they weren't.

Another interpretation:  Let him focus on making the big club; if not, he can be added later.  But it doesn't sound quite as flattering when you put it that way.

Larson is better than Delauriers

DLo is the 13th forward in all scenarios except an injury/personal matter that doesn't allow the callup to get there in time to play a given game.  I predict he'll play only about 5 games this year.

If Deslauriers plays before 6 forwards go down with injuries I'm going to punch holes in the wall.

This.

I'm also not expecting to see Reinhart at center. A man can dream!

If Reinhart isn't at center who do you see there beside Eichel and O'Reilly? Larrson from your wish lineup - who's the 4th?

DLo is the 13th forward in all scenarios except an injury/personal matter that doesn't allow the callup to get there in time to play a given game.  I predict he'll play only about 5 games this year.

You think he's a healthy scratch?  No Rochester?

Do you see Moulson getting the same treatment?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.