Ranking: The Sabres, who's our best to worst player?

LGR4GM

This comes from a discussion in the draft thread about ranking players and BPA. I am not sure if this will work as a thread. The idea being that we debate and rank all the current members of the Sabres roster. This excludes Mittelstadt and Nylander or any prospect that did not play at least 20 NHL games last season. So Bailey for example can be included. We can use any criteria we want for this but who is the best, 2nd best, 3rd best and so on. This is the best going into this upcoming season. 

To start we can do the obvious one. Jack Eichel is the best player on the Sabres he is #1. He skates better, shoots better, passes better then any other member of the team. He is going to be an offensive force this season. Due to his injury last year he isn't getting the credit he should. Also he isn't a Maple Leaf and they are always going to get all the hype. Jack's the best player on the team. If you were drafting this team only, Jack would be #1.

Then who is #2? Or do you disagree with #1? Who is #3 and so on? Where do you rank Kane? Is Risto in the top 3? Let's figure it out. 

Eichel

RoR

Okposo

Risto

Reinhart

Kane

Gorges

I put Kane ahead of Okposo.  

Eichel

RoR

Kane

Is Kane the 3rd best player on the team? If so we need to re-sign him. I am not quite there. I think due to Okposo's overall game Kane is just below him. I would however put Kane above Reinhart. 

Eichel

ROR

Okposo

Risto

Kane

Reinhart

At least that is my first thought going forward. 

Gorges is definetly at or near the bottom... though Sabres need some scorers so along with him I'd put Deslaurier unless you are excluding unsigned guys too.

Nope anyone on the roster right now, signed or unsigned that played 20 games last season. So Baloo is also in consideration.

LIger, I was going to do this through a poll.

Basically, start with five or six candidates, ask people to vote for their favourite and post the name of the player they think should be added to the poll.

After a few days, you reset the poll, removing the winner and adding the player nominated the most times.

Rinse and repeat. The ranking builds throughout the hockey dog days of summer.

Also might be handy to include a roster list in the opening post.

Edited by dudacek

LIger, I was going to do this through a poll.

Basically, start with five or six candidates, ask people to vote for their favourite and post the name of the player they think should be added to the poll.

After a few days, you reset the poll, removing the winner and adding the player nominated the most times.

Rinse and repeat. The ranking builds throughout the hockey dog days of summer.

Also might be handy to include a roster list in the opening post.

Set it up! I like your plan

Gorges is definetly at or near the bottom... though Sabres need some scorers so along with him I'd put Deslaurier unless you are excluding unsigned guys too.

I was thinking Deslauriers was worst as well.  Any value to moving Deslauriers back to defense (7th or 8th d-man) full time and letting Housley work with him.  He's pretty mobile and brings some toughness that the Sabres will miss without him.  And cheap as well.

I was thinking Deslauriers was worst as well. Any value to moving Deslauriers back to defense (7th or 8th d-man) full time and letting Housley work with him. He's pretty mobile and brings some toughness that the Sabres will miss without him. And cheap as well.

I like innovative ideas and if Housley could pull that off it'd be awesome.

Edited by North Buffalo

I was thinking Deslauriers was worst as well.  Any value to moving Deslauriers back to defense (7th or 8th d-man) full time and letting Housley work with him.  He's pretty mobile and brings some toughness that the Sabres will miss without him.  And cheap as well.

D-Lo is worse than Gorges. For sure. 

Des scores as often as Gorges completes a pass so would you prefer percentages or tries as a criteria???

Also have a flat out who's better without taking on $ or some magic chrystal ball some might want to use.

Edited by jsb

1a.) Jack Eichel

1b.) Ryan O'Reilly

3.) Kyle Okposo

4.) Rasmus Ristolainen

5.) Evander Kane

6.) Sam Reinhart

7.) Robin Lehner

8.) Jake McCabe 

9.) Johan Larsson

10.) Marcus Foligno

11.) Nathan Beaulieu 

12.) Zemgus Girgensons

13.) Evan Rodrigues

14.) Nick Baptiste

15.) Matt Moulson

16.) Taylor Fedun

17.) Zach Bogosian

18.) Justin Falk

19.) Justin Bailey

20.) Hudson Fasching 

21.) Casey Nelson

22.) Tyler Ennis

23.) Josh Gorges

24.) Nic Deslauriers

Edited to include Taylor Fedun since we signed him. Plenty of players have potential to jump or fall off.

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.