Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Then I am confused

I’m basically saying Brady Tkachuk the prospect is pretty much on par with Matthew Tkachuk, the prospect.

How can you be angry with or afraid of getting that type of player at 4, if you value that type of player enough to give up O’Reilly for him?

I’m basically saying Brady Tkachuk the prospect is pretty much on par with Matthew Tkachuk, the prospect.

How can you be angry with or afraid of getting that type of player at 4, if you value that type of player enough to give up O’Reilly for him?

If that were me, I would reason that Matthew Tkachuk the player has pleasantly exceeded expectations as an NHLer whereas the unknown of a prospect that has the same name (as Wayne and Brett did...) is far less enticing when other prospects who I like better will be available with our pick. 

I don't think that's the most unreasonable thing in the world. 

Though personally, if Tkachuk is a piece in an ROR deal, the other piece has to be a 2nd pairing D. Or, Tkachuk and Hamilton and Bennett/D prospect for Risto and ROR and Nylander or something along those lines (we'd probably have to add a little more)

What about the notion of addition by subtraction? (This angle would rely on the idea that O'Reilly is such a toxic figure in the lockerroom that although the Sabres get worse on paper, they're better off without him poisoning everyone around him.)

This could be a thing. 

Man. It's hard to imagine it being a thing. But it could be.

Also, to the idea that trading ROR would definitely make the team worse: How much worse could this team get?

(Maybe don't answer that.)

Any chance the older Nylander brother from Leafs to go with his brother for OReilly

No thanks. I mean: When have Swedish brothers ever done anything of value in the NHL when paired on the same team?

This could be a thing. 

Man. It's hard to imagine it being a thing. But it could be.

Also, to the idea that trading ROR would definitely make the team worse: How much worse could this team get?

(Maybe don't answer that.)

No thanks. I mean: When have Swedish brothers ever done anything of value in the NHL when paired on the same team?

You do remember the 1 game he missed this season, right?

Chuck Fletcher: OUT

For those who don't recognize the name, it's the Wild's GM

Not too surprising. He's a good GM who made some bad moves in his first go at it but really had a strong roster consistently in contention. He drafted very well too. Wonder where he goes

The Wild are officially a mess now. Can't wait for this collapse

For those who don't recognize the name, it's the Wild's GM

Not too surprising. He's a good GM who made some bad moves in his first go at it but really had a strong roster consistently in contention. He drafted very well too. Wonder where he goes

The Wild are officially a mess now. Can't wait for this collapse

Their prospect pool is barren. We should be thankful of ours compared to them. They need 3 drafts to restock that or 2 drafts with multiple first and second round picks. 

Their prospect pool is barren. We should be thankful of ours compared to them. They need 3 drafts to restock that or 2 drafts with multiple first and second round picks.

Isn't that because guys like Dumba and Granlund ended up working out though?

I would trade every one of our prospects for every one of theirs, because the only prospect we have that I care about more than "oh he could be a solid, not spectacular NHLer" is Mittelstadt, and I would easily trade Casey for Eriksson Ek and Kaprizov, the latter of whom is probably the best prospect outside of the NHL. 

They keep trading away first and second round picks. There just isn't a lot there. 

Well yeah but the they hit on the draft picks they have so they were able to trade away those picks. My point really is I trust Fletcher in drafting. Maybe not in putting a team together, but he has a good eye for young talent

Well yeah but the they hit on the draft picks they have so they were able to trade away those picks. My point really is I trust Fletcher in drafting. Maybe not in putting a team together, but he has a good eye for young talent

What later than 2nd round pick have they hit on recently? I don't think any team is good enough to trade away half of their 1st and 2nd round picks over the last 5 years and be good into the future. Especially in todays salary cap NHL. 

What later than 2nd round pick have they hit on recently? I don't think any team is good enough to trade away half of their 1st and 2nd round picks over the last 5 years and be good into the future. Especially in todays salary cap NHL. 

Later than 2nd round pick? What are the odds of that for any team? TSN did a study that has that rate at 30%

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

They then did another study showing that even if you are that 30%, it's an 86% chance that any 3rd round pick is a 4th liner or worse

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Sorry but I can't rag on Fletcher for not hitting those later round picks, especially as he's been hitting on the 1st rounders he does have.

Fletcher since he became the Wild's GM in 2009

Leddy (16)

Granlund (9)

Brodin(10)

Zach Phillips (28)

Dumba (7)

Tuch (7)

Eriksson (20)

Kunin (15)

So going through that list, it's not as great as I thought it was, admittedly. He does seem probably an average GM with maybe a solid scouting ability; kinda like Murray

Later than 2nd round pick? What are the odds of that for any team? TSN did a study that has that rate at 30%

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

They then did another study showing that even if you are that 30%, it's an 86% chance that any 3rd round pick is a 4th liner or worse

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Sorry but I can't rag on Fletcher for not hitting those later round picks, especially as he's been hitting on the 1st rounders he does have.

Fletcher since he became the Wild's GM in 2009

Leddy (16)

Granlund (9)

Brodin(10)

Zach Phillips (28)

Dumba (7)

Tuch (7)

Eriksson (20)

Kunin (15)

So going through that list, it's not as great as I thought it was, admittedly. He does seem probably an average GM with maybe a solid scouting ability; kinda like Murray

Ooh, I forgot about Kunin too. Yeah, I'd swap prospect pools. 

But yeah. Fletcher does seem to be the epitome of average, which over a long stretch of time will compile enough mistakes and frustrating early exits to end a tenure. 

He's gotten hosed in a couple trades recently (Scandella for nothing, a boatload for Hanzal at the deadline only to lose in like 5 games)

Ooh, I forgot about Kunin too. Yeah, I'd swap prospect pools. 

But yeah. Fletcher does seem to be the epitome of average, which over a long stretch of time will compile enough mistakes and frustrating early exits to end a tenure. 

He's gotten hosed in a couple trades recently (Scandella for nothing, a boatload for Hanzal at the deadline only to lose in like 5 games)

ARE YOU INSANE? 

If we are listing guys who are NHL players now that would mean Reinhart, Eichel, Risto, Mittelstadt all go in this weird swap. 

Leddy: 578 games

Grandlund: 398 games

Brodin: 404 games

Dumba: 310 games

The only prospects on that list are Phillips (who sucks), Tuch (who is decent but in Vegas), Eriksson who is meh, Kunin who is decent and Greenway who is a rookie. So we are trading for Eriksson, Kunin and Greenway. Their prospect pool is and I can't believe I have argue about it. 

ARE YOU ###### INSANE?

If we are listing guys who are NHL players now that would mean Reinhart, Eichel, Risto, Mittelstadt all go in this weird swap.

Leddy: 578 games

Grandlund: 398 games

Brodin: 404 games

Dumba: 310 games

The only prospects on that list are Phillips (who sucks), Tuch (who is decent but in Vegas), Eriksson who is meh, Kunin who is decent and Greenway who is a rookie. So we are trading for Eriksson, Kunin and Greenway. Their prospect pool is ###### and I can't believe I have argue about it.

Uhhh..Eichel is about to start his 10mil deal. Risto is literally years into his second contract. It's 2018, not 2015, dude.

I would swap prospect pools, not lists that include 24 and under players with years of NHL experience...

Ie, anyone that can qualify for the Calder this year and under.

The only piece that we have that I value as high as Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, and Kunin is Mittelstadt.

Nowhere did I say I'd swap every player drafted since 2011, even if a bunch are on different teams right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.