Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

As someone who wants to trade Kane, I think he is currently a better player than Lucic. However, I think at his peak, Lucic was considerably better.

That's a very important piece missing in this discussion, their 4 year age gap.  It's not the most important piece, but it is definitely worth mentioning.

Or he goes on a tear next season, potting 40 geno's by the deadline... you could cash him in for way more, or keep him for a playoff run and try to sign him mid-season or something something blah blah... i'm tired of Kane talk.

Or he breaks his shoulder in game 2 and misses 30 games putting in only 15 goals and no one wants to give much 4 him at the deadline.

If they wanna sign him then keep him. If they don't trade him. It's good asset management.

Or he breaks his shoulder in game 2 and misses 30 games putting in only 15 goals and no one wants to give much 4 him at the deadline.

If they wanna sign him then keep him. If they don't trade him. It's good asset management.

Pretty much exactly what I see as the most likely scenario 

Friedman was on GR this AM and mentioned Muzzin or Martinez would not be the return unless Kane agrees to an extension first, which would not be a problem one would believe.

Just listened to this.  I think Friedman has walked back a bit from "I think a trade is likely."  In addition to the point you mentioned about not getting Martinez or Muzzin unless Kane signs an extension, he was more like "I know LA is interested."

I'm now at the point where I don't think Kane is going to be traded before July 1, because I don't think the Sabres will get anything decent for him unless an extension is part of the deal.

“Much speculation about Evander Kane and where might he end up,” said NHL Insider Darren Dreger during a Friday morning segment on Buffalo’s WGR 550. “How eager are Jason Botterill and the Sabres to move him. What I would say to all of that is where there’s smoke there’s fire. There’s clear interest in Evander Kane.

“The problem that Buffalo has in moving Kane is then you open up a pretty big hole on that left side. So that’s not to say that they’re reluctant to trade him. Maybe they’ve got pieces – and you guys can speak to this better than I – who can fill that void; or they acquire something in return, or they can make another transaction, or they can sign a free agent.

“But there is a high level of interest in Evander Kane and primarily, my understanding, it’s coming from veteran teams around the NHL who are kind of in that ‘win now’ mode. So they’re less concerned with whatever the whole package of Evander Kane might be, and more interested in the fact that he’s a hell of a hockey player who might help them win or get into the playoffs and challenge for a Stanley Cup.”

“It’s only wild speculation,” clarified Dreger. “I’m not getting specifics from the people that I’m talking with as to who Buffalo might be engaged with. But when I look around the NHL, I mean San Jose has got to be hungry to win. They’ve got a good balance of young and old there. In fact, they’ve got a couple of pieces they’ve got to figure out in Marleau and Joe Thornton, who are pending unrestricted free agents. I’m sure they’d be happy to bring both of those guys back on one-year deals, but I know in Thornton’s case he wants three years. So maybe there’s something there.

“Go down the road to Anaheim. Anaheim has to be disappointed with another early exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs. They felt they were trending nicely along… for getting back to the Stanley Cup Final, and weren’t able to do that.

“So there’s a couple of Western Conference teams that off the top of my head might be interested, but I’m not certain of that.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/dreger-high-level-interest-evander-kane/

Wild card, the quotes from Dreger encapsulate why the Sabres should be trading Kane and also why trading him is a problem.

Ultimately Kane needs to be a piece on a win now team. Buffalo isn't that team. Yes, we need to make progress, but I doubt anyone, including management expect us to be a contender, especially with us being saddled with the 4 terrible and unproductive contracts.

However, with Nylander not ready, our LW without Kane is Foligno, Carrier, Ennis, Moulson, Delo, Smith and maybe Bailey or Baptiste if they move over. Not exactly a dominating group.

Wild card, the quotes from Dreger encapsulate why the Sabres should be trading Kane and also why trading him is a problem.

Ultimately Kane needs to be a piece on a win now team. Buffalo isn't that team. Yes, we need to make progress, but I doubt anyone, including management expect us to be a contender, especially with us being saddled with the 4 terrible and unproductive contracts.

However, with Nylander not ready, our LW without Kane is Foligno, Carrier, Ennis, Moulson, Delo, Smith and maybe Bailey or Baptiste if they move over. Not exactly a dominating group.

This is why we have top centers. I'm not worried about replacing Kane in the slightest. Even if we have to wait a year for Nylander, so what? 

Victor Oloffson for the win! Seriously JBOT needs to get him over to the US next year. 

Unless you slide Eichel to #1c and put basically anyone on his LW with Okposo on his RW. ROR goes on Reinhart's LW and Reinhart goes to center with Bailey/Baptiste taking the RW spot.

I think Hudson Fasching has more to show us still also as far as the LW goes. 

Victor Oloffson for the win! Seriously JBOT needs to get him over to the US next year. 

Unless you slide Eichel to #1c and put basically anyone on his LW with Okposo on his RW. ROR goes on Reinhart's LW and Reinhart goes to center with Bailey/Baptiste taking the RW spot.

I think Hudson Fasching has more to show us still also as far as the LW goes. 

I mean, in a sane world yes. But we'll see if it actually happens 

Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Oloffson - all right wings. Not saying they don't have the ability to switch over, but they are maximized on the right side. Our Left Wing will definitely need an upgrade if we deal Kane.

Olofsson shots left and is a,lw/RW so LW in Buffalo

Olofsson shots left and is a,lw/RW so LW in Buffalo

That's true, should have delved further. He's listed as a RW on the Sabres site, but does shoot left.

Nevertheless, I still maintain trading Kane leaves a massive hole on our left side.

I don't know how you can look at his time in Buffalo and not assume he's gonna chase that big pay day. That's what I'd do.

While I certainly see nothing wrong in him chasing the big payday, I'm curious as to what it is about his time here that makes you think he's inclined that way.

Separately, Darren Dreger was on the Instigators this morning and is now well away from saying he knows of anything specific or imminent regarding a Kane trade.

While I certainly see nothing wrong in him chasing the big payday, I'm curious as to what it is about his time here that makes you think he's inclined that way.

Separately, Darren Dreger was on the Instigators this morning and is now well away from saying he knows of anything specific or imminent regarding a Kane trade.

Running into trouble with the cops and being on a losing team. This is his big chance to not only contol his own destiny, but to make the money that's going to have him set for the rest of his life.

Why would he stay with the Sabres?

Maybe he hits it off with Botteril and loves the new coach. I'd rather take last season as the blessing it was, Kane regaining his trade value.

Running into trouble with the cops and being on a losing team. This is his big chance to not only contol his own destiny, but to make the money that's going to have him set for the rest of his life.

Why would he stay with the Sabres?

Maybe he hits it off with Botteril and loves the new coach. I'd rather take last season as the blessing it was, Kane regaining his trade value.

Maybe he'll stay with the Sabres cause we'll offer him a fair, high value contract? He's our top goal scorer, and looks like he'd be a great asset in the playoffs. Sign the guy.

Are we really a team in position to say "no thanks" to someone of his talent level, when we so lack goal scoring? Sacrificing Kane to manage an as-of-yet non-existent cap issue is cart before the horse to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.