Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

I don't know that what Tocchet did was any more immoral than what the guy running the office pool does, except for richer people with much higher stakes. It was a crime because the state of New Jersey wasn't getting its take.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2882460

It was more than a decade ago, he didn't bet on hockey, and he paid for it.

He seems to have the respect of industry; one gets a sense that the hockey community looks at him with a bit of "poor guy, coulda been me"

So, no, the gambling doesn't worry me.

What worries me is his ability to coach, which is unproven.

But Botterill knows him well and is in an excellent position to judge.

I agree with you on the irrelevance of the gambling thing.

I look at Tocchet and Housley, and I remember them as players, and it always seemed to me that Housley was the more intelligent player.  That, and the fact that Tocchet didn't exactly wow anyone in Tampa, have me firmly in the Housley camp.

I don't care about the gambling thing. Anyone of us would've done the same thing (and do so when we don't declare our earnings in office pools or poker games or bets with friends). The only difference was the amount of money - about $1.7 million - exchanging hands. NJ saw a significant tax loss and went after them. However, Pegs may see differently.

I agree with you on the irrelevance of the gambling thing.

I look at Tocchet and Housley, and I remember them as players, and it always seemed to me that Housley was the more intelligent player. That, and the fact that Tocchet didn't exactly wow anyone in Tampa, have me firmly in the Housley camp.

The problem comes when JBott has to pick from someone he knows very well and who players openly praise or a person who is held in high regard, but he doesn't know him. I think I know how this is going to shake out.

It may well be unfair, but given the type of player he was, I have some concern that Boughner may be too sympathetic to the Deslauriers of the world for my liking. Maybe not players as bad as Deslauriers, but the bangers that don't do much else. Boughner says all the right things, and his work with Burns is encouraging, but it's something that'd be in the back of my head. I wouldn't have that concern with Housley.

Again, this may be wholly irrational, but he wouldn't be the first coach in history to be overly drawn to players like himself.

No, the concern w/ Housley is that he'd be too drawn to the Satans & other kitties that are afraid of certain areas of the ice in both ends. ;)

I want Housley to be the next HC, the glaring weakness on the Sabres is the defense and I believe he is the right person to fix it.

There is turmoil in the locker room, it has been mentioned by Paul Hamilton, Rob Ray and Marty Biron at various points during the offseason. Hamilton went on to say that Kane was one of those involved. This is where the hiring of Rick Tocchet would get very muddled for the Sabres. If they want to stress character in the organization, what kind of message would hiring someone with a two year suspension on his resume send?

If the new coach is to restore order to the locker room, why would Kane listen someone telling him how to act both on and off the ice, when he has zero suspensions compared to Tocchet? Maybe Kane would like his style of coaching and respond to him. Who knows?

In the end Botterill has demonstrated he is good at picking coaches, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt on which ever coach he selects.

Interestingly Kris Knoblach of the Erie Otters has reported he has been contacted by a few organizations, I imagine Buffalo is one of them. Is it for the Sabres or Rochester though?

I was coming to write exactly this, so I will just quote you :thumbsup:

Housley is my choice to improve the defense and focus on team offense.

Tocchet scares me because his character issues of the past send a mixed message counter to the message from the Bills/Sabres/Pegula organizations that we are going to win with high character guys.

Fake news. He was only suspended for 3 months, partially because some punishment had to come down due to him pleading guilty to conspiracy to promote gambling.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=3234595

Tocchet and Gretzky's wife...it always seemed strange to me. Just seems a little too convenient. Too much mob movie "fall guy" stuff.

Fake news. He was only suspended for 3 months, partially because some punishment had to come down due to him pleading guilty to conspiracy to promote gambling.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=3234595

Twenty One Month Leave of Absence coupled with a Three Month Suspension still equals a two year absence from the game for the same infraction

And this little tidbit as well.

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20035&Itemid=27

Edited by BRAWNDO

Twenty One Month Leave of Absence coupled with a Three Month Suspension still equals a two year absence from the game for the same infraction

And this little tidbit as well.

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20035&Itemid=27

2 year absence does not mean 2 year suspension. Let's try to be accurate. It's for everyone's benefit. Remember, the NHL thought they had a much bigger mess on their hands - a NHL coach betting on NHL games and possibly throwing games. It doesn't get worse than that. Once the smoke cleared, this wasn't the case. NHL gave his wrist a slap. But yes, bringing that undeclared cash into the country doesn't look good. I would hope Pegs asks him about both instances.

Tocchet and Gretzky's wife...it always seemed strange to me. Just seems a little too convenient. Too much mob movie "fall guy" stuff.

So you think he took the fall to keep The Great One clear of the mess. I don't know. The Feds thought they had a much bigger fish on their line. Investigation was extensive and drawn out. Edited by kas23

2 year absence does not mean 2 year suspension. Let's try to be accurate. It's for everyone's benefit.

Ok fine, but three month suspension is still a suspension for an illegal off ice activity. Plus the arrest and guilty plea in the Bahamas in 2011 after pleading guilty in 2007.

I am resigned to the fact that Rick Tocchet will be the next Head Coach for the Sabres. Besides the off ice character issues, his coaching record is not that stellar. 80 points in 2009-10 and that's with St Louis and Stamkos each getting over 90 points.

He maybe the perfect coach for the Sabres, hell Crosby loves him, but on the surface it's very meh hire.

Dipping into the Penguins Organization for your GM, reportedly your Asst GM in Sexton and possibly your Head Coach is a little much for my taste. Success comes easier with Crosby and Malkin, I would prefer some new outside voices in the Sabres Organization as well

Edited by BRAWNDO

Ok fine, but three month suspension is still a suspension for an illegal off ice activity. Plus the arrest and guilty plea in the Bahamas in 2011 after pleading guilty in 2007.

I am resigned to the fact that Rick Tocchet will be the next Head Coach for the Sabres. Besides the off ice character issues, his coaching record is not that stellar. 80 points in 2009-10 and that's with St Louis and Stamkos each getting over 90 points.

He maybe the perfect coach for the Sabres, hell Crosby loves him, but on the surface it's very meh hire.

Dipping into the Penguins Organization for your GM, reportedly your Asst GM in Sexton and possibly your Head Coach is a little much for my taste. Success comes easier with Crosby and Malkin, I would prefer some new outside voices in the Sabres Organization as well

I agree. I, too, want Housley. But the fact remains JBott has barely interviewed anyone for the HC position. I understand JBott could be completely locking down leaks from his side, but he can't stop leaks from the interviewee side. It's in a candidate's best interest to get his name out there as being interviewed. It's creates a market for him and gets his name on lists for future interviews, which is likely what the Boogie Man did. Other that him, we heard absolute silence.

So, either JBott is going to start this process once the SC is over or he's already made his mind up. He's going to go with what's comfortable for him. I think there's a 95% chance Tocchet is hired and we all better get used to it.

Who knows, he wasn't exactly thrown into a good situation in Tampa and only really got 1 solid year to prove himself. Most first time coaches don't do too well and perhaps he has learned some things over the years (it's been awhile).

Boughner, Berube and Knoblauch have been reported from reputable sources, and Krueger was strongly hinted as well.

Montgomery, Reirden and Donatelli are also rumoured, although not confirmed. David Quinn seemed more speculation than rumour.

And also-rans have also heard they are also-rans.

Botterill said he intended to cast a wide net. I would be surprised if he hasn't.

IMO, he as a favourite or two and is waiting to see if Tocchet, Housley and possibly Martin also warrant a visit to meet the Pegulas.

Edited by dudacek

Did Housley tell them no, since it was widely reported he was their number one choice and does that mean he has the inside track for the Sabres Job?

This from McKenzie as well

BUF is waiting for Cup final to end to interview Housley, and possibly PIT assistant coaches Rick Tocchet and Jacques Martin.

I'm fixated on the word possibly here.

The players down here love Phil Housley. He coaches the defensemen plus special teams. What I like most about the possibility of Housley is two things: (1) no matter whom the Preds plug in on the defensive end they seem to play well - journeymen, rookies, ... it doesn't matter; (2) the Preds play a unique 5-man system that I'd love to see in Buffalo if we can get the defensemen to play it. All defensemen have a green light at all times, with the forwards covering when they attack. To me, the system is what got the Preds to the Cup finals as much as anything. Speed and skill over "heavy" crasher and banger types. That's what I'd love to see in Buffalo. And, I think the fans would love that brand of hockey.

The players down here love Phil Housley. He coaches the defensemen plus special teams. What I like most about the possibility of Housley is two things: (1) no matter whom the Preds plug in on the defensive end they seem to play well - journeymen, rookies, ... it doesn't matter; (2) the Preds play a unique 5-man system that I'd love to see in Buffalo if we can get the defensemen to play it. All defensemen have a green light at all times, with the forwards covering when they attack. To me, the system is what got the Preds to the Cup finals as much as anything. Speed and skill over "heavy" crasher and banger types. That's what I'd love to see in Buffalo. And, I think the fans would love that brand of hockey.

Preach brother!!

Looks like Bougner to Florida so maybe it's Housley to Buffalo

Seems like it'll be Phil Housley or Rick Tocchet. Personally, I'm tired of the constant stream of Pittsburgh guys. Tocchet was head coach in Tampa for a couple of years and those teams were pretty terrible.

This is a very interesting development if Florida is hiring Boogie Man. I hope it works out so we get the pick of the litter. I wonder if the Housley camp slipped to Florida that we would never go there. It may also mean Florida never considered Tocchet a real candidate. I pray we don't either. Let's hope Pegs sticks to his "character" crusade.

Edited by kas23

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts

There were reports out of China and the United Kingdom that the takeover of Southampton FC by Chinese investors Lander Sports Development is back on. In theory, that could free up chairman Ralph Krueger to re-insert himself into the Buffalo coaching picture, but, in practice, it appears extremely unlikely. It remains a drawn-out process, and the timeline doesn’t fit with what the Sabres need to do. That leaves Housley as a serious contender, with Tocchet lurking. Another Pittsburgh assistant, Jacques Martin, is potentially in the mix. Craig Berube interviewed, as did Washington assistant Todd Reirden. So there are options.

4. New York Rangers associate coach Scott Arniel also interviewed with both Buffalo and Florida.

In another part of the article he mentioned that Housley is a candidate for BOTH Western New York Coaching Jobs.

Could it be Housley in Rochester with Tocchet in Buffalo? So Phil gets promoted when Tocchet gets fired?

I would much rather they reserve what positions they have