Amerks coach Dan Lambert let go...now we need 2 coaches!

Sabre fan

The Buffalo Sabres announced today that Dan Lambert has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Rochester Americans.

"I would like to thank Dan for his hard work and contributions to our organization during the last two seasons and I wish him the best in the future," Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill said. "I felt this was the right move for both the Sabres and Amerks and we will begin the process of searching for a new head coach immediately."

Named the 31st head coach in Amerks franchise history, Lambert posted a 32-41-0-3 record during the 2016-17 season, his first in the American Hockey League. Prior to joining the Amerks, Lambert spent the 2015-16 campaign as an assistant coach with the Buffalo Sabres following six years with the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League.

The Buffalo Sabres announced today that Dan Lambert has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Rochester Americans.

"I would like to thank Dan for his hard work and contributions to our organization during the last two seasons and I wish him the best in the future," Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill said. "I felt this was the right move for both the Sabres and Amerks and we will begin the process of searching for a new head coach immediately."

Named the 31st head coach in Amerks franchise history, Lambert posted a 32-41-0-3 record during the 2016-17 season, his first in the American Hockey League. Prior to joining the Amerks, Lambert spent the 2015-16 campaign as an assistant coach with the Buffalo Sabres following six years with the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League.

Interesting.

Thanks for the update.

i think this would make sense....

Chris Taylor – Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Assistant coach

Chris Taylor is in his first season as assistant coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. He was hired by the Penguins organization on Aug. 2, 2016 along with fellow assistant J.D. Forrest. Taylor, 44, spent the past four seasons behind the bench of the Rochester Americans as an assistant coach.

He played professional hockey for 19 years in North America and Europe, but logged the most time with Rochester. In 519 games with the Americans, Taylor accrued 142 goals and 339 assists for 481 points and served as the team’s captain for two seasons. Taylor is third all-time in club history in assists and was inducted into the Americans Hall of Fame in 2015.

After retiring in 2011, Taylor immediately joined Rochester’s staff as a development coach before becoming an assistant one year later. A Stratford, Ont. native, Taylor also logged 149 NHL games playing for the New York Islanders, Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres.

Dan Lambert, Ron Rolston, Chadd Cassidy... this decade has been littered with rookie coaches in Rochester whose career peaked and stalled there. Is it any wonder the team has been struggling?

Really, all those years of stability with Lindy and Darcy disguised the fact that the Sabres simply haven't been a place that has brought in and developed coaching and executive talent.

When's the last time you remember a Sabre assistant being hyped for a job elesewhere?

Jim Benning is only executive graduate of the "Sabre school" in the past 20 years.

Who's the premier assistant or minor league coach? Scott Arniel?

And neither of those guys were hired out of Buffalo.

Something tells me this is an area where Botterill can and will make a difference.

Meh.

Kind of amazed this has been the attitude around here to, well, pretty much everything that's happened. I mean, not to pick on your meh specifically for an AHL coach, but we completely cleaned house, signed the MVP of the playoffs for the Russian league in a d-man we desperately need....and it all just feels so, well, meh. 

Have the Sabres broken us like the Bills have?

Kind of amazed this has been the attitude around here to, well, pretty much everything that's happened. I mean, not to pick on your meh specifically for an AHL coach, but we completely cleaned house, signed the MVP of the playoffs for the Russian league in a d-man we desperately need....and it all just feels so, well, meh.

I'm still recovering from the season. Worst year I've ever had as a fan. Legitimately hated the team.

Oh, and if McDermott offers one more cliché, I may just keel over.

Getting there. No playoffs for all these years leaves a hopeless feeling...also both seem to always be starting over..

Personally, I'm not excited about doing things they should. I'm not excited about off-season moves that might not work. Prove you're a winner and I'll be excited. Until then, meh.

It's also because the Antipin signing, while good news, was a long time coming. We knew it was gonna happen.

Once Botterill makes his first significant trade, things will light up.

I'm not sure I'm expecting a big move. I think he's going to hit for contact rather than trying to knock it out of the park. This isn't to say I think he'd afraid to take a big swing, but I expect there's a sizeable part of him that wants to see what he has with a new coach.

Hope I'm wrong, if for no other reason than big moves are fun.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Well, we've known about Antipin since March(?) and I feel like the possibility of Lambert staying on was practically zero percent. All of this is has been very whelming news at best. I'm guessing there will be more optimism once we have a head coach for both teams, and movement starts happening with the expansion and amateur draft.

I'm not sure I'm expecting a big move. I think he's going to hit for contact rather than trying to knock it out of the park. This isn't to say I think he'd afraid to take a big swing, but I expect there's a sizeable part of him that wants to see what he has with a new coach.

Hope I'm wrong, if for no other reason than big moves are fun.

I don't think he's going to make a big splash type of move, but I do think he's going to make a trade to bring in a defenceman. Not a star, but a serviceable top 4 guy. It's not really an option to enter into next season with a left side of McCabe, Gorges, and Falk, right?

At least I hope not.

I don't think he's going to make a big splash type of move, but I do think he's going to make a trade to bring in a defenceman. Not a star, but a serviceable top 4 guy. It's not really an option to enter into next season with a left side of McCabe, Gorges, and Falk, right?

At least I hope not.

I expect something like this as well. I think, at least for this year, he tries to piece together a serviceable defense corps. I think that'll involve a trade, but I don't think the name coming back is going to excite too many people on paper.

At least I hope not.

Is that like a Buffalo stormtrooper type of thing you've got going there>

I'm not sure I'm expecting a big move. I think he's going to hit for contact rather than trying to knock it out of the park. This isn't to say I think he'd afraid to take a big swing.

I expect something like this as well. I think, at least for this year, he tries to piece together a serviceable defense corps. I think that'll involve a trade, but I don't think the name coming back is going to excite too many people on paper.

Exactly where I am. And I'm actually good with that.

(Kane is gone, so I guess that qualifies as a big move, but he won't be bringing a big name back.)

I think someone will come in who is perceived like Chris Tanev or Brian Doumilin was three years ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.