2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

From NHL's 31 in 31 about the Sabres

"We were really excited to make a couple of trades there, and some of the players we were able to get on July 1 from a depth standpoint for our organization," said Botterill, who was hired May 11. "My guess is things will heat up a little bit more come fall time and we'll see how our players perform in rookie tournaments and main camps. We're also in a situation where we could have some NHL contracts still available. We still have [salary] cap space available (about $8.5 million, according to CapFriendly.com), so we'll certainly be looking out for our team."

#sign Vanek.

So 4 LW spots for 8 guys: Kane, Pouliot, Moulson, Girgensons, Nylander, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching.

I wonder if handedness will play a role. First 4 are left shots, second 4 right shots. Nylander is generally a LW though. The other 3 are RW, naturally. But Bailey has been putting time in at LW, so that may make him a favourite.

I think Baptiste and Fasching are destined for RW, and Nylander may not be ready. I also think Kane, Pouliot, and Girgensons are locks.

I see it as Bailey versus Moulson, with Nylander as a dark horse, for the final LW spot.

Edit - I think Moulson may be the front-runner, because I think there's a RW spot available for Bailey. If Bailey does get the LW spot, I think that opens up an open spot on RW. Okposo, Reinhart, Pominville are the locks.

So really, there's 8 wingers jockeying for 2 wing spots, one on the left, one on the right.

Going by this, it looks like you have Larsson and Josefson locked as your #3 and #4 centers. I don't think I like Josefson on Buffalo. I think he fits better in Rochester.

Not sure if anyone posted it yet but Antipin will wear #93

Someone else posted that a player was going to be wearing Dougie's number, but I don't think it was Antipin.

Good. Here's hoping Antipin does well and takes the stench of Gilmour off that number.

Because we have lost 3 LWs this offseason and have done little to replace them. We signed Pouliot but that leaves 2 spots and there is a chance that 2 young guys will not be ready for Lw in the NHL. I would like an insurance plan.

I can spit and hit 5 LW's the Sabres could use. Kane, Larsson, Moulson, Zemgus, Josefson, Pouliot, Deslauriers.  We lost Carrier which meh and I literally can't remember the other one. 

oh yea we traded Ennis away and Foligno. Literally forgot about that. Still I see plenty of options for the left side with plenty more only a year or two away (Nylander, Mittlestadt, Asplund, Olofsson (Davidsson is 3 years away or more))

Edited by LGR4GM

Because we have lost 3 LWs this offseason and have done little to replace them. We signed Pouliot but that leaves 2 spots and there is a chance that 2 young guys will not be ready for Lw in the NHL. I would like an insurance plan.

From Botterill's most recent quote, it sounds like signing/acquiring someone remains an option, but it will depend on what he sees from the kids in camp. In other words, he wants one of the kids to grab it.

From Botterill's most recent quote, it sounds like signing/acquiring someone remains an option, but it will depend on what he sees from the kids in camp. In other words, he wants one of the kids to grab it.

The possibility of CJ Smith I suppose still exists. 

This was the primary 2016-17 Roster (based on games played)

Kane ROR Okposo

Foligno Eichel Reinhart

Carrier Larsson Gionta

Moulson Girgensons Ennis

Delo Grant Bailey

McCabe Risto

Kulikov Bogo

Gorges Franson

Falk Fedun

Lehner Nilsson

This season - 2017-18

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Pouliot ROR Okposo

????? Larsson Pominville

Moulson Girgensons ?????

Delo Josefson ?????

Scandella Risto

McCabe Antipin

Beaulieu Bogo

Falk Fedun

Gorges Tennyson

Lehner Johnson

After doing this exercise on a piece of paper, it looks like only 7 forward spots are set in stone with another 2 player almost certain to be on the roster, but not sure what position.

Locks:

C: ROR, Eichel, Larsson

RW: Okposo, Reinhart, Pominville

LW: Kane, Pouliot (2nd or 3rd LW)

LW/C: Girgensons - 2nd or 3rd LW or 4th Center?

As Dudacek pointed out earlier that a pitched battle for various jobs for 2 LW jobs, the 4th C and 4th RW.

LW contenders: Moulson, Girgensons, Josefson, and Bailey, with Smith, Nylander as longshots

C contenders: Girgensons, Josefson, Griffith and E Rod. If Housley moves Reinhart to 3rd C, add Larsson.

RW contenders: Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, E Rod and Griffith with Nylander a longshot.

My dream forward group (I want to see the kids get a chance), based on what we have signed so far

Kane Eichel Okposo

Pouliot ROR Baptiste

Girgensons Reinhart Pominville

Bailey Larsson Fasching

I want to see Reinhart in his natural position. I think Girgensons can step into Foligno's role, while playing with Reinhart will increase his goal output. The idea of Baptiste being ROR's trigger man intrigues me and Pouliot bring solid to way play to complement ROR. Kane was at his best playing with Eichel, and adding KO gives the line additional physical play, an needed 2 way presence who can also score and create. KO could have 50 assists setting up Jack and Kane. Fasching and Bailey with Larsson creates a surprisingly skilled 4th line with some speed, 2 physical players and the energy of youth.

My preffered lineup:

Pouliout-Eichel-Babtiste

Bailey-ROR-Okposo

Kane-Reinhart-Pomminstein

Girgensons-Larsson-Moulson/Fasching

I would like to sign Vanek and have him take Pouliot's spot, and slide Pouliout down to Bailey's spot. If Nylander was truly ready, he could work as the 2nd line LW instead of signing Vanek.

Considering he only had 28 in the AHL last year, I don't see how he could be ready enough to get enough games to score 25 in the NHL (which would likely be most if not all of the 82 games).

Better talent around him, not playing for a crappy coach.

Girgs went from 17 points to 22 in the first year he jumped. 

Edited by WildCard

Better talent around him, not playing for a crappy coach.

Guys like Baptiste and Bailey practically doubled his scoring rate down there and put up like 8 points in 60 combined NHL games, or something close to that. 

I think the offseason fumes have us all a little optimistic. 

Alex was between terrible and invisible for most of last season, he's not close to playing more than a handful of NHL games this next season. He at least needs to demonstrate the ability to be a passable AHL player first. 

Alex was between terrible and invisible for most of last season, he's was not close to playing more than a handful of NHL games this next season. He at least needs to demonstrate the ability to be a passable AHL player first. 

Agree with this with the addition of the bolded. Also believe he has the talent to make a big jump this year.

Edited by dudacek

They still need a guy to offload ROR... someone they can trust to take critical d-zone faceoffs and kill penalties.