2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

It would give JBOT the reputation that he doesn't treat veterans well which would hinder his ability to attract UFAs.

Maybe. According to some Buffalo ppl no one wants to come here anyways, I personally don't believe that. Also it puts everyone on the same level. You're a higher level because you made the team 2 years ago? Seems unfair. Also we need our vets to be better. They should be held to a higher standard but instead are held to a lower because they are vets. That's how you create a losing culture of self entitled vets. Earn it, or leave. Vet or rookie, doesn't matter. If Botterill builds a winner, vets will come.

I'm getting rambling haha. Vets should at a minimum be held to the standard of rookies. Being held to a lower standard because their vets, seems foolish. Earn it, every day.

Edited by LGR4GM

Maybe. According to some Buffalo ppl no one wants to come here anyways, I personally don't believe that. Also it puts everyone on the same level. You're a higher level because you made the team 2 years ago? Seems unfair. Also we need our vets to be better. They should be held to a higher standard but instead are held to a lower because they are vets. That's how you create a losing culture of self entitled vets. Earn it, or leave. Vet or rookie, doesn't matter. If Bylsma builds a winner, vets will come.

I'm getting rambling haha. Vets should at a minimum be held to the standard of rookies. Being held to a lower standard because their vets, seems foolish. Earn it, every day.

I agree with this. 

What I would like to see if we run three balanced lines:

Girgensons Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Pouliot O'Reilly Pominville

Josefsson Larsson Fasching

Or if we run a traditional 1st/2nd/checking:

O'Reilly Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart Baptiste

Pouliot Larsson Pominvile

Girgensons Josefsson Fasching

Having O'Reilly as the 3rd line center is definitely intriguing. I think that I would like to see this happen as I see ROR as less dependent on his wingers being good, because he makes them better. Also, Pominville+ROR should get us a bunch of points. Also I like Kane with Reinhart.

Eh.  Just move jack to wing and be done with it.

Exactly. How is Eichel the center in that situation if O'Reilly is taking all the draws and center coverage on defense? Eichel "plays" center only when we have the puck? Ovechkin carries the puck a lot on offense too. Does that make him a center when the Capitals have the puck? In this scenario O'Reilly is still actually the center and Eichel pretends to be the center in mock lineups to make us feel better or something.

If all 3 of Bogosian, Moulson and Gorges are still on the roster come October 5th, I'll consider this offseason a failure, and put my hopes playoffs on the back burner for another season.

He did manage to move Ennis at least. That's 1/4 of the expensive dead weight. If he can move another one of them I'll be highly impressed. Wonder what it would cost to unload all 3 on a team like Vegas? Probably a guy like Nylander or Mittelstadt but it's conceivable a couple high picks could get it done.

Edited by Drunkard

After this season Bogo is going to be the only member of the Craptastic 4 left with the club. Gorges contract expires and Moulson will only be owed 2 mill for 2018-19. With such a low salary and high cap hit he will be a good contract to acquire for a team trying to get to the cap floor.

After this season Bogo is going to be the only member of the Craptastic 4 left with the club. Gorges contract expires and Moulson will only be owed 2 mill for 2018-19. With such a low salary and high cap hit he will be a good contract to acquire for a team trying to get to the cap floor.

Let's hope. Re-signing Eichel, Reinhart, and Kane certainly would look a lot easier without having to account for $14 million in cap space going to these guys. Still it looks better than almost $19 million when we also had to include Ennis.

Maybe Housley turns out to be some sort of defenseman whisperer (or turd polisher if you prefer) and he can mold Bogosian into a serviceable 2nd pairing guy. At that point things would be looking up and we'd have a chance to challenge in the East while Nylander and Mittelstadt are locked up for cheap money.

Kane- ROR- Reinhart

Pouliot- Eichel- Okposo

Girgensons- Larsson- Pomminstein

Moulson- Josefson- Bailey

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Bogo

Beaulieu- Antipin

Lehner

Johnson

Seems reasonable. Fasching might beat out Bailey but that makes a lot of sense to my brain. 

Change your avatar Sweetlou!  :)

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

Bailey (or Baptiste)-O'Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Larsson-Pommer

Girgensons-Josefsson-Fasching

If Kane is traded at the deadline, Baptiste or Nylander take his spot.

Scardella-Risto

McCabe-Bogo

Beulieu-Antipin

Georges 7th man (but wishing Guhle could crack the lineup, but I can't see how they play with him being another lefty)

When I look at these forward lineups, most of them surprisingly show promise despite the fact we're down four regulars from last year and really only replaced one.

Have we improved the mix, or am I just looking through the typical July rose glasses?

There is no mistaking how much better the defence looks.

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

Bailey (or Baptiste)-O'Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Larsson-Pommer

Girgensons-Josefsson-Fasching

If Kane is traded at the deadline, Baptiste or Nylander take his spot.

Scardella-Risto

McCabe-Bogo

Beulieu-Antipin

Georges 7th man (but wishing Guhle could crack the lineup, but I can't see how they play with him being another lefty)

Interesting line up.  I took last years actual goals per game and extrapolated to this year if they are healthy every game and score at the same rate as last year.  (I had to guesstimate for Bailey Fasching, and Antipin.  This production would have ranked us #19 in the league in goals scored.  That's shooting distance to a playoff spot (tied with Sharks.).

Kane Eichel Reinhart

33        32       18

Bailey ROR Okposo

10         23      24

Pouliot Larsson Pominville

10          14            14

Girgs Josefsson Fasching

8              2              7

Scandella   Risto

5                   6

McCabe   Bogo

3                  3

Bolo   Antipin

5            2

Edited by Tondas

Pouliot (10) - O'Reilly (22) - Okposo (20)

Girgensons (8) - Eichel (35)  - Reinhart (22)

Kane (26) - Larsson (11) - Pominville (11)

Moulson (6), Josefson (3), Bailey/Baptiste/Nylander/Fasching (10), Deslauriers (0)

Scandella (5) - Ristolainen (11)

McCabe (5) - Bogosian (5)

Beaulieu (4) - Antipin (6)

Depth D (5)

This gives us 16 more goals than last season. Anything stick out as too much or too little?

I realize that's probably way too many goals from the D. We had 17 last year, I say we get 28-33 this season. I gave them 41. 

My EA NHL17 dream season?

Girgensons (10) - Eichel (38) - Baptiste (13)

Pouliot (15) - ROR (25) - Okposo (25)

Kane (30) - Reinhart (20) - Pominville (15)

Rodrigues (7) - Larsson (13) - Fasching (6)

Moulson (0), Des (0), Bailey (4), Josefson (4), Nylander (3)

Scandella (5) - Risto (15)

McCabe (7) - Bogosian (7)

Beaulieu (4) - Antipin (10)

Depth D (5)

281 G for first in the NHL

Depth D (5)

If Risto pots 15 this year, he will be in the top 3 for the Norris.

Depth D (5)

Came here to post an almost identical lineup. Might upgrade Jack's linemates with Bailey, but otherwise A+.