PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

Me too. TP leading the search with no hockey czar doesn't sound very promising. Will this guy ever learn?

Elliot Friedman suggested last night that the NHL brass would be helping him w/ the search.

Not sure if that would be good or bad if his suggestion is true.

Elliot Friedman suggested last night that the NHL brass would be helping him w/ the search.

Yeah that was weird. He said the NHL might try and help them by telling them, 'Look, you've done this twice, with GMs who have no experience, and you are new owners. Here are some GMs with a lot of experience, you should pick one of these'

Aka, Lombardi

Well, if nothing else, it may be a way towards MFT status. Or, at least, an escape from the tank-induced punishment dungeon they seek to currently have us in.

Yeah that was weird. He said the NHL might try and help them by telling them, 'Look, you've done this twice, with GMs who have no experience, and you are new owners. Here are some GMs with a lot of experience, you should pick one of these'

Aka, Lombardi

I think Lombardi comes in as hockey pres. Then picks an up and coming assistant gm, and coach.

We'll get old school if thats the case. Old boys network. Who's currently out of work and a dinosaur from bygone days ? I have absolutely no faith TP will make the right choice. 

I think Lombardi comes in as hockey pres. Then picks an up and coming assistant gm, and coach.

This might be the best case scenario IMO

twitter, facebook live, sabres.com all streamed Murray's farewell presser, I mean end of career presser, I mean end of season presser. 

:lol:

Thanks

Don't forget at 10am today we get to here mumbled answers to poorly worded questions as the lackluster Buffalo media takes on the bumbling Terrance Pegula... ONLY ON THE INTERNET!!!!! 

That'll be the best part. Charlie Brown's teacher: waahh wahhha wahhh wahh WAHHH WAHH? TP: Well, I did buy a hockey team.

I had nothing to base it on, but I did wonder if this kind of thing is possible. It's good and gives me some hope. It's not in the league's interest to have a toyre foyre in Buffalo. I will naively believe they are not guiding the Sabres toward one candidate or another for negarious purposes, but rather providing technical assistance and a candidate list or something.

As for the original post -- I think this construes in the worst possible light a series of decisions that were each reasonable at the time they were made.

Keeping Darcy and Lindy and giving them more $$ to work with than OSP had provided -- totally reasonable in light of their prior success.

Firing Darcy and Rolston when the team was DFL and getting booed off the ice at home -- who here didn't agree with that?

Bringin PLF on as the overseer, with job #1 being to help find the new GM, and with Nolans to keep the coach's seat warm during an interim period -- reasonable. PLF wasn't just sitting on his couch when TP offered him the job. He was working for the NHL and knew a lot of people. The GM search seemed professionally conducted.

Firing PLF -- if, as has been murmured, PLF really couldn't handle a work environment due to CTE -- reasonable.

Firing Black -- does this even matter? Presumably he lost a power struggle with RB, which is hardly unusual.

Firing DDB -- this seems like a no-brainer.

Firing FGMTM -- this one is trickier. Certainly it's reasonable to think that he wasn't given quite enough rope. But he had 3 offseasons and 4 trade deadlines, and the team was undeniably terrible at both the NHL and AHL levels. The game they played was boring. The opponent inevitably controlled play. The locker room was fractured. The franchise player was clearly unhappy. And an entire season went by with GMTM doing zero to improve the situation.

It wasn't crazy, or even knee-jerk, to want to move on.

Lombardi already interviewed by Buffalo per WGR

Yes, he interviewed yesterday. Supposedly more candidates are being interviewed this week and next. Seems odd then to have Pegula have a presser today if things are moving this quickly. Why not wait until the GM has been hired?

Yes, he interviewed yesterday. Supposedly more candidates are being interviewed this week and next. Seems odd then to have Pegula have a presser today if things are moving this quickly. Why not wait until the GM has been hired?

And if Lombardi was already on the radar, why wait to fire everyone? They need every second they can get with the new people.

We all know they'll hire a coach first. Perhaps the interview yesterday was to see what lombardi thinks of Ruff ? Ruff wouldn't be my first choice but whatever.

Link to the presser https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/terry-pegula-press-conference/t-277437090/c-40474303?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral 

Will also be live on the Sabres FB page.

We all know they'll hire a coach first. Perhaps the interview yesterday was to see what lombardi thinks of Ruff ? Ruff wouldn't be my first choice but whatever.

Phil Housley, god let it be Phil.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.