Prediction time (DDB) II -- Following GMTM's Presser, Will DDB Get Canned this Week?

nfreeman

A New Hope  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Now that we've heard GMTM's presser -- do you think Bylsma will be let go?

• Yes
    • No

As always, the question is not what you want to happen, the question is whether you believe it will happen or won't happen.

I think he's gone after GMTM meets with TP this week.

I think DDB and GMTM had to have their pressers right after the season because that is SOP, and doing otherwise would've created a poopstorm that they wanted to avoid. 

I also think GMTM didn't want to totally decide until he interviewed the players, which couldn't happen until after the season ended.  I think GMTM and TP probably wanted to sit down for at least 1-2 full days to do the end-of-season debrief, including the DDB conversation, that it will happen this week, and that DDB will be let go.

Keep hope alive!

I still don't think that Murray will fire Bylsma, so long as he is the one making that call.

It is, IMO, more likely that Murray will be replaced as GM and as GA said above that the new GM will make the decision on the coach, which will likely mean that Bylsma and his staff will be gone.

Also, GA should you not be the '... artist formerly known as ...' and not former?  We don't want Inky on your case for abuse of the English language, eh.   :P

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Murray clearly articulated way too many negatives to make me think Bylsma sticks around. Meanwhile, about the only thing in Bylsma's corner was he said some of what the players said was just excuses...but he didn't go on to detail any of that. Meanwhile, he went into a lot of specifics about problems. Seriously, when was the last time you heard a GM say the players have "valid complaints" about the coach? And then, ya know, talk about them fairly in depth. Bylsma is cooked.

no way either go anywhere...yet. Clearly GMTM sees and understands that Danny's system is way past th ebest before date and has gone stale and is completely outdated by today's standards. 5 years ago when the NHL allowed all that stupid clutch and grab and interference when players entered the other team's offensive zone, a team could trap and do exactly what Blysma is trying to get this team to do now...score one goal and hang on for the rest of the game, of course things have changed (the NHL, not BLysma) and now you can't do that crap and no lead is safe anymore...heck we have seen teams come back from 3 and 4 goals because now teams can keep attacking and not be afraid to be held or interfered with. it allows the offensive players to do their thing and if you look at the teams now having success they are not sitting back and hanging on to one goal leads like Danny envisions this team doing. I think GMTM thinks, or at least is willing to try to get Blysma to change and adopt to today's NHL before firing him.  Maybe by next Christmas if nothing has changed then...

True, then he should have sent him packing at season's end. Do you think he needs to get TP's permission to was another 9 million of TP's money before firing him?

I've said this before. I he fires DD and keeps his job, then we better get off to a hot a start next season and make the playoffs. Otherwise next year is TM's last.

Firing DD is scapegoating DD for his incompetence at building a team with no depth that consisted of overpaid injury prone unprofessional leaderless prima-donnas with a couple of entitled children thrown in for good measure. I'm not saying DD is blameless but he can only coach what TM gives him.

Edited by GASabresFan

Murray clearly articulated way too many negatives to make me think Bylsma sticks around. Meanwhile, about the only thing in Bylsma's corner was he said some of what the players said was just excuses...but he didn't go on to detail any of that. Meanwhile, he went into a lot of specifics about problems. Seriously, when was the last time you heard a GM say the players have "valid complaints" about the coach? And then, ya know, talk about them fairly in depth. Bylsma is cooked.

I have hope, but I'll believe it when I see it

True, then he should have sent him packing at season's end. Do you think he needs to get TP's permission to was another 9 million of TP's money before firing him?

I've said this before. I he fires DD and keeps his job, then we better get off to a hot a start next season and make the playoffs. Otherwise next year is TM's last.

Firing DD is scapegoating DD for his incompetence at building a team with no depth that consisted of overpaid injury prone unprofessional leaderless prima-donnas with a couple of entitled children thrown in for good measure. I'm not saying DD is blameless but he can only coach what TM gives him.

1st bold: I think permission is the wrong word, as I expect Pegula will follow what Murray wants to do. But I do think Murray has to meet with him to discuss the path forward, and lay out why moving on from Bylsma is necessary. I don't think needing to explain your decision to your boss is especially uncommon when that decision is $9 million to fire somebody.

2nd bold: I think you are. In fact, I'm having trouble remembering anything you hold Bylsma responsible for. You blame the roster, Murray, and entitled kids.

I have hope, but I'll believe it when I see it

I forgive you for your lack of faith, as I'd imagine jumping on the Blackhawks bandwagon right as it's derailing has to be pretty traumatic :p

I believe he gets fired, but that is only if GMTM Chosen Replacement agrees to be the HC.

I don't think he lets DD go without a viable option in place.

I forgive you for your lack of faith, as I'd imagine jumping on the Blackhawks bandwagon right as it's derailing has to be pretty traumatic :p

There is a direct correlation between the two events

Which is reasonable. But to think that he's going to keep Bylsma to gain an extra year of his own employment seems absurd. If he truly doesn't believe this team should have been in the playoffs & he isn't sure he'll assemble a team that will be there next year says he doesn't have faith in his own ability & that he should be fired now anyhow. Keeping a "I'll keep the coach for now & can him at Thanksgiving" (ours or the Canadian one, either works here ;)) card in his pocket to get to stay the GM through '18-'19, results of '17-'18 be damned, says he isn't a ZFG guy & shouldn't have this job at present.

BTW, there is a Dean Lombardi waiting to get hired by somebody. Wonder how he'd like to trade Malibu's sunsets over the water for the view from Mickey Rats Beach Bar? They're comparable, right? :p

Cheering for a Laviolette team? Gross. Although I shouldn't expect anything else from the resident Pat Kane groupie :nana:

Patty Kane is a god damned American hero!

Laviolette coaching them is a major turnoff, but everything else about that team and city is awesome. I'd love to live there

Their gonna stay the course. No firing. Pegula doesn't need coaches sitting on the sidelines collecting their checks.

Better they sit in the stands or in their living room not earning their check than they stand behind the bench not earning them.

This is what I'd like to believe.

But I voted no, because I have the feeling that the presser was about Murray paying lip-service to the fans. We'll see if any action follows, but often DD's actions have been the opposite of his words, and I think Murray may be joining that camp.

If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with eliminating one known negative variable, Bylsma, in an attempt to fix the equation. Murray has to address the roster as well, but it's like some people are thinking that if Bylsma is being fired, it'll excuse Murray from having to upgrade the roster. There is nothing saying two negative variables cannot be adjusted at once. Fire Dan!

Edited by Thorny

Murray also said the players have valid complaints about him (Murray). It was a PC way of saying we're all in this together.

All this kind of feels like a skit put on for the benefit of the fans. I suspect the decision to retain Bylsma was made a while back. Why not add a little suspense, have everyone act upset and contrite, trudge down to Boca and then... "It was a difficult decision, but Dan deserves more time. We didn't give him enough tools to finish the job." I believe in the end Terry will win out. "Panic doesn't seem to be working."

Murray also said the players have valid complaints about him (Murray). It was a PC way of saying we're all in this together.

All this kind of feels like a skit put on for the benefit of the fans. I suspect the decision to retain Bylsma was made a while back. Why not add a little suspense, have everyone act upset and contrite, trudge down to Boca and then... "It was a difficult decision, but Dan deserves more time. We didn't give him enough tools to finish the job." I believe in the end Terry will win out. "Panic doesn't seem to be working."

Bingo

It's called Kabuki Theatre. However the truth is that GMTM didn't give him the tools to succeed.

It's called Kabuki Theatre. However the truth is that GMTM didn't give him the tools to succeed.

But he had the tools to be better than we were, and he showed a notable lack of ability to properly harness the tools he was given, to the best of their ability,

The team was less than the sum of it's parts. So Bylsma still has to go.