Reinhart Dressed and Benched; Late to Meeting

WildCard

@Angry_eichel15  54m54 minutes ago
 Eichel says Sam being late isn't a big deal and dan says it's serious. franchise player and coach on diff pages again to the media #Sabres

Who's account is that?  If it's legit then this is a bigger problem than I thought.

Possibly. Or perhaps getting asked the same annoying question for the nth time about something that would be upsetting to a reasonable individual (getting publicly benched whether justified or not, would bother most people) could finally allow the snarky-ish answer to come out.

He's not the 30-something year old vet. He's a 20 (21?) year old kid. Until this becomes a pattern, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he isn't a brat.

I really hope you are right and this is a lot to do about nothing, but I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my gut about it.

It's just some random guy's account. But Eichel and Byslma did say that in their interviews, the tweet is there just because I thought the guy had a good point

For instance, Eichel and Samson say it's no big deal, Gionta and Byslma do. That's interesting to me

Edited by WildCard

It's just some random guy's account. But Eichel and Byslma did say that in their interviews, the tweet is there just because I thought the guy had a good point

For instance, Eichel and Samson say it's no big deal, Gionta and Byslma do. That's interesting to me

It's been mentioned before that Jack and Dan frequently butt heads. The WGR guys asked Rayzor about it and he kinda tried to play it off as nothing, but I get the feeling it's not nothing. I think the working relationship between Jack and Dan is strained, and I would assume most of the other young guys are in Jack's corner. 

I also assume that Gionta is only in Dan's corner because he's trying to keep his career alive. I mean, I don't blame the guy, but I could see the young guys clashing with their Captain a bit if he's taking a purely "keep your head down" approach to his coach and GM. 

It's been mentioned before that Jack and Dan frequently butt heads. The WGR guys asked Rayzor about it and he kinda tried to play it off as nothing, but I get the feeling it's not nothing. I think the working relationship between Jack and Dan is strained, and I would assume most of the other young guys are in Jack's corner.

I also assume that Gionta is only in Dan's corner because he's trying to keep his career alive. I mean, I don't blame the guy, but I could see the young guys clashing with their Captain a bit if he's taking a purely "keep your head down" approach to his coach and GM.

I think Jack definitely, truly hates Dan as a HC. Samson appears to too, and I'd bet anything Risto does.

I'd assume Gionta is just being professional and probably likes Dan because Dan loves vets and treats Gionta well

Didn't Gionta say it wasn't a big deal? The EF said there was a disconnect between vets and young guys

Who's account is that?  If it's legit then this is a bigger problem than I thought.

I really hope you are right and this is a lot to do about nothing, but I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my gut about it.

Of course you do. You're a Sabres fan!

We have been conditioned to expect the other shoe to drop or find out things aren't as bad as they seem but actually WORSE ever since the Knoxes put Muckler on an austerity budget. We don't get nice things w/out strings attached. Player contract holdouts in the '90's, bankruptcy, team self-imposed salary cap, star player trades / outright departures in the '00's, & Miller/Lucic --> suffering this decade.

To not look for / see the gray cloud would just be bizarre. I'm tired of it all & won't believe Eichel & Reinhart are bigger tools than the typical NHLer &/or want to get out of Buffalo ASAP until any of it is shown to be an unavoidable conclusion.

You, my friend, are typically far more upbeat towards this team than I. It really stinks that this incident has even you fearing the worse.

The guy misread a text and got publicly humiliated for 60 minutes and a possible win was thrown away. Now people are suggesting he has an attitude problem, despite not complaining about playing out of position for two years and putting in extra practice with ROR.

I bet he double reads every text in future.

Quite frankly ROR drunk driving is a far worse 'crime' to me and I would be more worried about him. However, I am not remotely worried about him and think he is a good leader who made a stupid mistake.

Frankly, our future is the young guys. Eichel and to a lesser extent Samson are 'untouchable' if push comes to shove no vet or coach will stay if they don't want them to.

The guy misread a text and got publicly humiliated for 60 minutes and a possible win was thrown away. Now people are suggesting he has an attitude problem, despite not complaining about playing out of position for two years and putting in extra practice with ROR.

I bet he double reads every text in future.

Quite frankly ROR drunk driving is a far worse 'crime' to me and I would be more worried about him. However, I am not remotely worried about him and think he is a good leader who made a stupid mistake.

Frankly, our future is the young guys. Eichel and to a lesser extent Samson are 'untouchable' if push comes to shove no vet or coach will stay if they don't want them to.

I'm not buying his "misread a text" excuse... there is a lot more communication going on (especially on road trips) than just texting.   Typically each player gets an itinerary on the bus/plane/whatever with the entire schedule, etc.... Roommates are in constant communication just about the entire road trip.    Schedules are posted... and it's not his first road trip.    There should be absolutely zero excuse for being late for a team function.    I think he just felt that it wasn't important to him because the team stretch doesn't really help him prepare and BUF is out of playoff contention, etc. etc..   It was a poor decision on his part, and he paid the price for it.     

One other thing... coaches normally don't attend team stretches.    The coaches are usually in meetings going over video, planning strategy, etc... while the team captains run the organized team activities.    What I think happened is that Samson was late, Gio called him out on it and reported him to the authorities.  

I'm not buying his "misread a text" excuse... there is a lot more communication going on (especially on road trips) than just texting.   Typically each player gets an itinerary on the bus/plane/whatever with the entire schedule, etc.... Roommates are in constant communication just about the entire road trip.    Schedules are posted... and it's not his first road trip.    There should be absolutely zero excuse for being late for a team function.    I think he just felt that it wasn't important to him because the team stretch doesn't really help him prepare and BUF is out of playoff contention, etc. etc..   It was a poor decision on his part, and he paid the price for it.     

One other thing... coaches normally don't attend team stretches.    The coaches are usually in meetings going over video, planning strategy, etc... while the team captains run the organized team activities.    What I think happened is that Samson was late, Gio called him out on it and reported him to the authorities.  

How do you know all of this? Do you know an NHL player?

It's much more likely the room was moved or time was changed last minute and he wasn't physically around someone than Reinhart saying this, after two full seasons of being nowhere near playoff contention and not being late, and deciding that it just wasn't important to him. If it wasn't important to him, and he knew about the new punishment, then why did he go to the coach and gm asking to play? Why would he care about playing then?

And Gionta, a guy who's been in the league for nearly 20 years and captain for 7, tattled to the 'authorities' instead of dealing with it himself? What?

Of course you do. You're a Sabres fan!

We have been conditioned to expect the other shoe to drop or find out things aren't as bad as they seem but actually WORSE ever since the Knoxes put Muckler on an austerity budget. We don't get nice things w/out strings attached. Player contract holdouts in the '90's, bankruptcy, team self-imposed salary cap, star player trades / outright departures in the '00's, & Miller/Lucic --> suffering this decade.

To not look for / see the gray cloud would just be bizarre. I'm tired of it all & won't believe Eichel & Reinhart are bigger tools than the typical NHLer &/or want to get out of Buffalo ASAP until any of it is shown to be an unavoidable conclusion.

You, my friend, are typically far more upbeat towards this team than I. It really stinks that this incident has even you fearing the worse.

I get that, but I never bought into the 'because Buffalo' nonsense.

It's just a twinge right now.  I think it will pass, but time will tell.

I know it will never happen, but it would be nice if the GM, coach and the players had an end of season presser to deal with all the BS and set it all out front for the fans.

How do you know all of this? Do you know an NHL player?

I know a couple of active players, and regularly talk to a few who played in the last 10 years, but the details are from my own experience in college and the brief time I played professionally.   

It's much more likely the room was moved or time was changed last minute and he wasn't physically around someone than Reinhart saying ###### this, after two full seasons of being nowhere near playoff contention and not being late, and deciding that it just wasn't important to him. If it wasn't important to him, and he knew about the new punishment, then why did he go to the coach and gm asking to play? Why would he care about playing then?

And Gionta, a guy who's been in the league for nearly 20 years and captain for 7, tattled to the 'authorities' instead of dealing with it himself? What?

The team was aware of the new rules in place.    It's the captain's job to hold everyone accountable.. I've gained respect for Gio, assuming that's how it went down.    

Samson's story is full of holes.   Here's what we know.

The team stretch started at 10:30.    As the stretch was starting, Jake McCabe called Samson who (according to his own words) was sitting in bed waiting to go down for breakfast. 

That said, according to Samson he thought the team stretch was at 11.    

So let me get this straight...  it's less than 30 minutes before the team stretch and you're sitting in bed waiting to go downstairs for breakfast?    What?   

Let's assume the team stretch is at 11, you better have you're ass down there ready to go at 10:45.     How the hell do you find time to fit in a breakfast, a pro-athlete breakfast nonetheless, in between?   

The GM wants a strict, no-nonsense culture for a young team.  He devises new enforcement of team rules with the coach, one that makes all players (first line through fourth line) accountable.

The very next day, Reinhart shows up to a meeting late.  Because they're on the road and Okposo is a late illness scratch with no time for a callup, they're forced to dress Reinhart per CBA rules.  He dresses, sits.

Coach says he broke the rules.  The 21 year old huffs at the punishment.  A 20 year old teammate says it isn't a big deal.

There is nothing unreasonable, or even unexpected, about this.  Zadorov was benched by Murray/Nolan a total of five games for two punctuality infractions.

I know a couple of active players, and regularly talk to a few who played in the last 10 years, but the details are from my own experience in college and the brief time I played professionally.   

The team was aware of the new rules in place.    It's the captain's job to hold everyone accountable.. I've gained respect for Gio, assuming that's how it went down.    

Samson's story is full of holes.   Here's what we know.

The team stretch started at 10:30.    As the stretch was starting, Jake McCabe called Samson who (according to his own words) was sitting in bed waiting to go down for breakfast. 

That said, according to Samson he thought the team stretch was at 11.    

So let me get this straight...  it's less than 30 minutes before the team stretch and you're sitting in bed waiting to go downstairs for breakfast?    What?   

Let's assume the team stretch is at 11, you better have you're ass down there ready to go at 10:45.     How the hell do you find time to fit in a breakfast, a pro-athlete breakfast nonetheless, in between?   

Where is all of this?

I'm definitely of a mind that a better, more modern-minded coach could be getting more out of this roster.

That said, Reinhart doing anything but saying that he'd violated a team rule and paid a significant price, that he regrets what happened and the fact that he couldn't be there to play with his teammates, and that he's now moving on, are all, taken together, not a great look for #23. One of my fave follows on Twitter, Dave Davis, said the same, and I agree.

Maybe it's a generational difference. Anyway - I don't much care for how he responded.

Reinhart "Sh*t happens"

Didn't the BN substitute "exrement" for "sh1t"? 

That was amusing.

I'm definitely of a mind that a better, more modern-minded coach could be getting more out of this roster.

That said, Reinhart doing anything but saying that he'd violated a team rule and paid a significant price, that he regrets what happened and the fact that he couldn't be there to play with his teammates, and that he's now moving on, are all, taken together, not a great look for #23. One of my fave follows on Twitter, Dave Davis, said the same, and I agree.

Maybe it's a generational difference. Anyway - I don't much care for how he responded.

Didn't the BN substitute "exrement" for "sh1t"? 

That was amusing.

Maybe it's okay for Sam to have a problem with being subservient to a major dingus. 

The GM wants a strict, no-nonsense culture for a young team.  He devises new enforcement of team rules with the coach, one that makes all players (first line through fourth line) accountable.

The very next day, Reinhart shows up to a meeting late.  Because they're on the road and Okposo is a late illness scratch with no time for a callup, they're forced to dress Reinhart per CBA rules.  He dresses, sits.

Coach says he broke the rules.  The 21 year old huffs at the punishment.  A 20 year old teammate says it isn't a big deal.

There is nothing unreasonable, or even unexpected, about this.  Zadorov was benched by Murray/Nolan a total of five games for two punctuality infractions.

And we all know what happened to Zadorov, eh?

I am going to think about this less, because the more I think about the more I think it stinks.

I think you could sense frustration in Reinhart's comments --- 

I've spoken with several non-Sabre hockey fans and none can recall a similar benching, and so far, no one on this forum can point to any

I don't think this situation sat well with Reinhart, I think he believes it was petty and it brought to the surface more emotions around his misuse on the team

You got the same sense with his comments when DD finally put him back on Eichel's line earlier this year --- 

I think whether you agree with this specific situation, it's hard not to agree that his career, so far, in Buffalo has been mismanaged

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.