Players not listening to Dan?

Randall Flagg

Coming from an established star, I get it. From a 2nd year pro that hasnt done anything yet........ get to work. You're not ready to protest.

I can't share that opinion. Eichel isn't Matt Ellis. He knows how to play his game. If he's being used in a way that doesn't make any damn sense, then I think it's his prerogative to make that known, regardless of his age. We can't have a star talent being wasted by an inept coach just because "it's his job" or some other "real world job" cliche that doesn't apply in the sports world.

Well, at least now we know who it really was about

Interesting that Risto might hate Byslma's system

Most fans of two fan bases agree with Eichel. I don't agree with that he has to put in his dues when he's clearly right

Ristolainen saw what Nolan's overplaying did to Gorges talent level. (Burned the last of it out quick.)

He knows that his own play deteriorates over the course of a season (last year & this year) w/ playing hard minutes for nearly 1/2 a game. He can't be happy about getting treated like Bylsma's version of Bum Phillips' Earl Campbell. That guy was a beast & had a very short career because of assinine usage.

It is interesting. It isn't shocking.

Well, at least now we know who it really was about

Interesting that Risto might hate Byslma's system

I'd like to hear the context prior to making that conclusion.

I'd imagine Lehner is aware that fandom thought he was talking about Eichel.

It is also worth mentioning that Eichel an Risto are the team's best players.

Watching Lehner's interview last night he was very clear on it being a 'we', not a 'them.'

Curious: those of you not happy with Lehner's speech, would you feel differently if it was ROR, Gionta, Eichel or Reinhart saying the same thing?

Edited by dudacek

Keep it in the room Lehner. You had a choice when Burrows was trying to get you off your game. Take one for the team or go batshite crazy and get called. The officials arm shoots up when Burrows slashes your pad and instead of going on a powerplay or it being evened up because of falk coming to your rescue you attack Burrows. This is every teams gameplan when it comes to Lehner. Get him off his game. Burrows has been doing this forever. Worked to a tee last night. Lehner dropping the ball about his team mates after the game will not go over well in that room nor should it. 

Interesting take.  Good points.

I'd like to hear the context prior to making that conclusion.

I'd imagine Lehner is aware that fandom thought he was talking about Eichel.

It is also worth mentioning that Eichel an Risto are the team's best players.

Watching Lehner,s interview last night he was very clear on it being a we, not a them.

More Lehner on not playing system: "Let's do another deke, let's do another play. .Get out of our zone? No, let's do the fancy thing."

That sounds like he has a very specific player and play in mind. Risto and Jack both did this last night, and Jack's led to a goal. He's not going to just come out and say it's Jack; I'm not surprised at all he's saying 'we'

Mike Harrington ‏@ByMHarrington  3m3 minutes ago

More

More Lehner on not playing system: "Let's do another deke, let's do another play. .Get out of our zone? No, let's do the fancy thing."

That sounds like he has a very specific player and play in mind. Risto and Jack both did this last night, and Jack's led to a goal. He's not going to just come out and say it's Jack; I'm not surprised at all he's saying 'we'

No, this I get. I was talking about the context of the quote from this morning.

No, this I get. I was talking about the context of the quote from this morning.

Little confused then now. Who's conclusion are you referring to in your post? Mine?

Gionta chimed in.....

Eichel: I refuse to play the system

Lehner: just play the system

Gionta: systems don't matter, systems are basically the same league wide, it's how you play within the system......

WTF is going on in this teams locket room? Did KBC legalize weed?

Is that an actual Gionta quote?

Ristolainen saw what Nolan's overplaying did to Gorges talent level. (Burned the last of it out quick.)

He knows that his own play deteriorates over the course of a season (last year & this year) w/ playing hard minutes for nearly 1/2 a game. He can't be happy about getting treated like Bylsma's version of Bum Phillips' Earl Campbell. That guy was a beast & had a very short career because of assinine usage.

It is interesting. It isn't shocking.

I don't think Lehner's comments were directed at Risto.

That said, you have identified another major point to add to my Disco Bunker, which is the gross negligence of playing Risto 30+ minutes per game in multiple games, and having his season avg TOI above 27 min (the next highest is Kulikov at 22:46 avg). This is going to kill his effectiveness and certainly doesn't help him long term.

Risto is 4th in league in avg ice time, behind Byfuglien, Suter and Doughty. All those guys are playing for teams that actually are in the playoffs and are not wasted on this trash fire of a team.

& for whatever it is worth, O'Reilly is definitely still bothered by the groin. His skating was labored & on that 2nd Vancouver goal, he was standing gassed at the end of a long shift not picking up the slotman who scored like he normally would've.

Glad to get another confirmation on this. He's just not right.

I'm going to say both. Ignoring it because they can't execute it. 

They can't? Really? Or they won't?

When Jarome Iginla calls your system the most complicated he's ever seen, it's no wonder it doesn't work. It was the same ###### with Rex Ryan

First I'm hearing this. Is true?

I'm a bit surprised that Eichel isnt getting more grief here. If he's willfully ignoring coaches instructions, thats a red flag to me. The kid doesnt have the weight to ignore coaching yet. Strikes me as rather entitled. I hope we're reading this wrong. We dont need a star that does what he thinks is right when he's barely started his career.

Not unfair - but I'm also not overly concerned.

Can't wait for the riveting Eichel interview from Paul Hamilton..

"So, Jack, what do you think about Robin's comments after the Vancouver game, Robin is an emotional guy he wears his heart on his sleeve, is that something you expect after a tough loss where you feel maybe the team didn't play it's best game, that maybe comes from lacking some consistency as a team, is that something that the team can maybe rally around going forward down the stretch as the games become more critical... blah blah blah...?"   

...all the while Jack nodding profusely, eyes rolling back into his head, "Yeah, yeah, yep, for sure, yes, yeah, yeah...."

This was uncanny.

I've said before that I don't think this team likes playing I front of Lehner for gameplay reasons. I'm starting to inch closer to the team just not liking him at all.

It sure didn't look like Falk didn't like playing for Lehner last night when he came like a bat outta hell to attack the VAN player for slashing Lehner. this doesn't ring with the narrative that they don't like Lehner.

What's the evidence for this? 

Just my reading of the tea leaves. The way Lehner acts compared to his teammates. The subtle digs by guys like Nilsson with his helmet decorations. I've said in other threads that they don't look as comfortable with Lehner in net, but I also wonder if that's translated into actual annoyance. Maybe Lehner is just a sh*t teammate? 

Quick; how many games have our starting 6 D played together since Dec 1?

Which team gives up the most shots per game?

Which team has the 2nd worst PK in the NHL?

The answers are 5 games, Buffalo and Buffalo.

How exactly are we going to play this magical uptempo game when we can't clear our zone, have key D having their worst years and who can't stay healthy?

How is it DD's fault that the GM didn't give him a roster with good enough D or forwards who can back check or kill a penalty?

If Jack isn't listening to a Cup winning coach who will he listen to?

Weren't Gionta, Moulson, ROR and even Okposo brought in to teach the kids how to be pros? Where have they been in the lockerroom where Jack thinks not listening is OK?

Speaking of inconsistent play, what's ROR's problem?

I don't know if DD is part of problem or part of the solution. I keep thinking about Bull Durham and what happened when the star finally listens. However, I don't think this team is talented enough or healthy enough to be a good team and if the problem ultimately is lack of talent then the fault lies with Tim Murray.

I keep looking at our rebuild and the mess our D is and I keep thinking the Edm Oilers of a few years ago. Everyone talks about Kane and Toews, but their D group is the backbone. From 02-05 they drafted Keith Seabrook and Hjalmarsson who they supplimented with Campbell, Oduya and others. If GMTM gets another real D or 2 to go with McCabe and Risto, the pieces upfront will fall into place regardless of the coach.

It sure didn't look like Falk didn't like playing for Lehner last night when he came like a bat outta hell to attack the VAN player for slashing Lehner. this doesn't ring with the narrative that they don't like Lehner.

I don't put much stock in the actions of a guy like Falk who is clinging to an NHL career. If Falk wasn't on the ice, is anyone coming over like that to help? Nah. 

Quick; how many games have our starting 6 D played together since Dec 1?

Which team gives up the most shots per game?

Which team has the 2nd worst PK in the NHL?

The answers are 5 games, Buffalo and Buffalo.

How exactly are we going to play this magical uptempo game when we can't clear our zone, have key D having their worst years and who can't stay healthy?

How is it DD's fault that the GM didn't give him a roster with good enough D or forwards who can back check or kill a penalty?

If Jack isn't listening to a Cup winning coach who will he listen to?

Weren't Gionta, Moulson, ROR and even Okposo brought in to teach the kids how to be pros? Where have they been in the lockerroom where Jack thinks not listening is OK?

Speaking of inconsistent play, what's ROR's problem?

I don't know if DD is part of problem or part of the solution. I keep thinking about Bull Durham and what happened when the star finally listens. However, I don't think this team is talented enough or healthy enough to be a good team and if the problem ultimately is lack of talent then the fault lies with Tim Murray.

I keep looking at our rebuild and the mess our D is and I keep thinking the Edm Oilers of a few years ago. Everyone talks about Kane and Toews, but their D group is the backbone. From 02-05 they drafted Keith Seabrook and Hjalmarsson who they supplimented with Campbell, Oduya and others. If GMTM gets another real D or 2 to go with McCabe and Risto, the pieces upfront will fall into place regardless of the coach.

Again, DD has had the same exact complaints in Pittsburgh. The roster has holes, but not last in the East, show up for 1 period a not, outshot 2:1, level of holes. He is a coach

"Just come to the rink everyday and enjoy the fact you're playing the NHL."

wow, not the attitude you want from your franchise player

Come on. He already had a pretty intense post game where he ripped into how bad we are and how it's unacceptable. That quote is nothing more than saying try not and get in your own head

Again, DD has had the same exact complaints in Pittsburgh. The roster has holes, but not last in the East, show up for 1 period a not, outshot 2:1, level of holes. He is a ###### coach

The persistence of people here to look for something to blame that isn't Bylsma is mind boggling. We look this team up and down, and maybe we can find some roster flaws, but we KNOW that Bylsma has been a bad coach. We have evidence of this! At it would appear that he still is a bad coach. We have corroborating evidence!

Yet here we sit, looking everywhere except the most obvious place.

If it looks like sh*t, and it smells like sh*t, well...

Again, DD has had the same exact complaints in Pittsburgh. The roster has holes, but not last in the East, show up for 1 period a not, outshot 2:1, level of holes. He is a ###### coach

i'm starting to come around to the idea that DD isn't the right fit here. i don't always want to blame coaches, because it's too easy, especially with hockey. DD's not out there getting out-hustled, missing shots, letting in soft goals, taking stupid penalties but, in the same respect, he's starting lehner back to back nights, dictating the poor line changes, giving some players way too much ice time, and not installing a system that works for his team. I guess it's probably easier to eliminate one guy then half your players. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.