Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

If they run him out of town I think I might be done with the Bills for good. The last time I swore off the Bills was when they sent Flutie and Christie packing for San Diego. I rooted for Buffalo to suck because of the spite I held for the decision makers who chose to go with Rob Johnson over Flutie. They sucked me back in when they picked up Bledsoe after going 1-15 or whatever it was but the playoff drought has remained.

In a perfect world this is the correct approach. Bring in the rookie and let him compete for the starting job. It'll likely take 2-3 years for the rookie to surpass Taylor (assuming they drafted a good one) and by the time he earns the starting job he should be good enough to make/keep the team competitive. It won't happen that way though. I have zero faith in this organization.

Your hard-on for mediocre QB's is amusing. And your actively rooting against the Bills in 2001 was disgraceful.

Tyrod Taylor will be gone by March because of repeated performances like those seen in games 2, 5, 9, 10, 13, and - very likely - this Sunday. Production like that is simply not worth $18 million next season. It's not a binary choice of either accepting Nathan Peterman's 10 interceptions-per-game pace or else having to settle for Tyrod Taylor. There will be a multitude of better options in the draft and in free agency than this glorified RB at the most important position in football. Fourteen games into the season, and this offense has only 99 completions off of only 203 targets to WR's?! GTFO with this . Time to join the modern pro game.

I have no expectations for the Bills. They have been bad for my entire life. To get excited about them or enjoy them as a team is nearly impossible. I might find the capacity if they were to make the playoffs. Right now I only watch them out of a sense of obligation, like staying in a broken marriage until the kids are off to college. 

Forgive those of us who find no joy in being "in the hunt" for the bajillionth time. The Bills are still essentially a coin flip to make the playoffs, so really, there's nothing to be excited about at all. 

Fine, but remember that nothing in pro football is permanent. The Patriots were largely a joke for the first 40 years of their existence. Same for the Steelers. Storied franchises like the Cowboys, Redskins, and Dolphins haven't done much of anything since the early to mid-90's. The Packers were garbage between 1967-1993. The Bears haven't done sh!t in the entire Super Bowl Era outside of the Buddy Ryan years. The Giants sucked for most of the 60's and 70's. The 49ers were nothing as a franchise until the 1980's began. The Broncos didn't even make the playoffs for the first 17 years of their existence. The Raiders have been awful since 2002. One upon a time, even the Cleveland Browns were considered a legendary franchise about as dominant as the 21st century Patriots have been.

Also keep in mind that only a couple dozen players on this current Bills team were here last season for Wrecks Ryan's buffoonery. And only 6 players remain from the 2014 Marrone squad that choked in Oakland week 16. And only Kyle Williams and Eric Wood were a part of the 2011 collapse from 5-2. And only Kyle Williams was there for the 2008 collapse from 5-1. No one exists from the 2004 Bills team that had the week 17 Steelers home game meltdown. So while Bills fans may feel like the team is consumed in a deeply entrenched culture of failure, I doubt the players and coaches do. They are probably looking at Sunday's game against the Patriots like this year's Rams were looking at last Sunday's game against the Seahawks.

Sure, the Bills will probably lose Sunday. But it's not because they are being typically "Billsy." It's because this is year 1 of a massive rebuild, and the talent differential is simply too great at the time between the two teams. Oh yeah, and I suspect the Pats are still cheating but just in new and innovative ways.

At this point, the offense is a competent QB and a new RG away from being an above average unit. The front seven on defense needs a near-total overhaul, but 5 picks in the top 100 of the 2018 draft and a lot of cap space could lead to a quick turnaround. Look what happened to the secondary in one off-season: Hyde, Poyer, White, Gaines, and Milano (he's essentially an extension of the secondary). TRUST THE PROCESS! And repeatedly clap your hands and pray to Jeebus while trusting it!

Your hard-on for mediocre QB's is amusing. And your actively rooting against the Bills in 2001 was disgraceful.

Tyrod Taylor will be gone by March because of repeated performances like those seen in games 2, 5, 9, 10, 13, and - very likely - this Sunday. Production like that is simply not worth $18 million next season. It's not a binary choice of either accepting Nathan Peterman's 10 interceptions-per-game pace or else having to settle for Tyrod Taylor. There will be a multitude of better options in the draft and in free agency than this glorified RB at the most important position in football. Fourteen games into the season, and this offense has only 99 completions off of only 203 targets to WR's?! GTFO with this ######. Time to join the modern pro game.

What's disgraceful is shipping a better QB out of town because they paid through the nose for a guy who looked the part in Rob Johnson, so you can go ahead and shove that disgraceful nonsense right up your ass. The Bills organization isn't entitled to whatever concept of blind loyalty you seem to think they deserve.

I'm perfectly fine with the Bills replacing Taylor if they can find an upgrade, but they better make sure the replacement is an actual upgrade before the send him out of town. He may not be a world beater, but he's still the best QB this pathetic franchise has fielded in 2 decades and half the fan base wants to run him out of town before they even figure out who his replacement should be, let along figuring out if the replacement will be any better.

Tyrod Taylor will be gone by March because of repeated performances like those seen in games 2, 5, 9, 10, 13, and - very likely - this Sunday. Production like that is simply not worth $18 million next season. It's not a binary choice of either accepting Nathan Peterman's 10 interceptions-per-game pace or else having to settle for Tyrod Taylor. There will be a multitude of better options in the draft and in free agency than this glorified RB at the most important position in football. Fourteen games into the season, and this offense has only 99 completions off of only 203 targets to WR's?! GTFO with this ######. Time to join the modern pro game.

While I think it is reasonably likely that TT is gone -- although if he gets them into the playoffs and looks good in the playoffs then I think they will keep him -- I would like to know who specifically will be a better option in FA.  Do you want to spend $35-$40MM on Cousins?

As for the draft -- they aren't going to have a top-15 pick and aren't going to be able to trade up into the top 2 or 3.  Who specifically will they be able to draft that would be better than TT next year?

I'm perfectly fine with the Bills replacing Taylor if they can find an upgrade, but they better make sure the replacement is an actual upgrade before the send him out of town. He may not be a world beater, but he's still the best QB this pathetic franchise has fielded in 2 decades and half the fan base wants to run him out of town before they even figure out who his replacement should be, let along figuring out if the replacement will be any better.

Completely agree with this.

This is correct.  If they were to ship out Taylor without having a better quarterback in place--I don't mean down the road, I mean for 2018--that would be a huge mistake.

While I think it is reasonably likely that TT is gone -- although if he gets them into the playoffs and looks good in the playoffs then I think they will keep him -- I would like to know who specifically will be a better option in FA.  Do you want to spend $35-$40MM on Cousins?

As for the draft -- they aren't going to have a top-15 pick and aren't going to be able to trade up into the top 2 or 3.  Who specifically will they be able to draft that would be better than TT next year?

Shut yo mouth.

The more I think about it, the more I am of a mind that Taylor should and will be the presumptive starter next season.

One priority the team needs to fill for the upcoming offseason: Getting a proper apprentice to McCoy (or a proper plan to have a run game without him). The guy has had a remarkable season, especially for his age and his wear on the tread, but it's not going to keep up. Father Time is undefeated, especially so with NFL running backs.

If they were to ship out Taylor without having a better quarterback in place--I don't mean down the road, I mean for 2018--that would be a huge mistake.

Word.

Shut yo mouth.

The more I think about it, the more I am of a mind that Taylor should and will be the presumptive starter next season.

One priority the team needs to fill for the upcoming offseason: Getting a proper apprentice to McCoy (or a proper plan to have a run game without him). The guy has had a remarkable season, especially for his age and his wear on the tread, but it's not going to keep up. Father Time is undefeated, especially so with NFL running backs.

We need so much more than a running back

In order:

QB

DT

LB

WR

RB

We need so much more than a running back

In order:

QB

DT

LB

WR

RB

I might quibble with that order in terms of draft priority, but I'm plenty good with a RB in round 3 or 4 . They just gotta get a good one. More than do-able.

The team's success in identifying Milano as an LB that fits their scheme is also encouraging.

Also, with the Kelvin Benjamin acquisition, I'm not so sure how much they'll prioritize WR in the draft. I guess I'm thinking the draft priority goes; QB, DT, RB, LB, etc.

Completely agree with this.

For $35-40 million? Absolutely not. But for $20-25 million on the UFA market? Sure, I'm interested. I believe a lot of people have developed cognitive biases against Kirk Cousins based on his 102nd overall draft status alone. He would be a good match for the type of offense that McDermott, Dennison, and Beane have talked about wanting to run.

McCown, Alex Smith, and Keenum would all be better short-term options than Tyrod Taylor. But there is a $7.5 million dead cap hit for cutting Taylor on the final year of his contract, so that certainly has to be factored into the equation.

Sure, I have no problem keeping Taylor for an additional year if the Bills make the playoffs. But I have become increasingly convinced that the Bills need to beat the Patriots in order to make the playoffs. And the idea that Taylor will engineer the 25+ needed points against New England is laughable, given the 3 he mustered last game. He has become one of the easiest QB's in the league to game plan against.

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Jackson are the only 4 rookie QB's I see as capable of starting next season. All should be gone by the time the Bills pick. There are some QB's I like in later rounds, like Luke Falk of Washington State. But at this point, I prefer to build the OL and the front 7 this offseason, draft a QB project in April, settle on a 1-year stop-gap UFA QB in March, and focus on the franchise QB issue in 2019. I prefer the Wentz/Goff/Watson model of having a viable roster before plugging in the franchise QB, rather than the Luck model.

For $35-40 million? Absolutely not. But for $20-25 million on the UFA market? Sure, I'm interested. I believe a lot of people have developed cognitive biases against Kirk Cousins based on his 102nd overall draft status alone. He would be a good match for the type of offense that McDermott, Dennison, and Beane have talked about wanting to run.

McCown, Alex Smith, and Keenum would all be better short-term options than Tyrod Taylor. But there is a $7.5 million dead cap hit for cutting Taylor on the final year of his contract, so that certainly has to be factored into the equation.

Sure, I have no problem keeping Taylor for an additional year if the Bills make the playoffs. But I have become increasingly convinced that the Bills need to beat the Patriots in order to make the playoffs. And the idea that Taylor will engineer the 25+ needed points against New England is laughable, given the 3 he mustered last game. He has become one of the easiest QB's in the league to game plan against.

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Jackson are the only 4 rookie QB's I see as capable of starting next season. All should be gone by the time the Bills pick. There are some QB's I like in later rounds, like Luke Falk of Washington State. But at this point, I prefer to build the OL and the front 7 this offseason, draft a QB project in April, settle on a 1-year stop-gap UFA QB in March, and focus on the franchise QB issue in 2019. I prefer the Wentz/Goff/Watson model of having a viable roster before plugging in the franchise QB, rather than the Luck model.

Good response.  Thanks.

However, my understanding (which could be well off base) is that Cousins will cost $35MM to $40MM and Alex Smith will cost $25MM to $30MM.  At those prices, I'd rather have TT.

I'd also MUCH rather have TT than McCown or Keenum, regardless of how much those 2 would cost.

I agree that the plan should be to draft a QB and to have a veteran starter for next season while the rookie is groomed.  But I think TT should be that vet unless someone who's clearly better pops loose.

I also agree that the Bills are almost certain to lose to the Pats.

The last time the Bills made the playoffs, we went to New England and won in week 16.

Regarding UFA QBs, what about Garoppolo? He has been good for the 49ers, and how funny would it be for that decision to trade him to come back and haunt the Patriots?

There's no way he leaves Kyle Shannahan and San Fran

However, my understanding (which could be well off base) is that Cousins will cost $35MM to $40MM and Alex Smith will cost $25MM to $30MM.  At those prices, I'd rather have TT.

Open market may change things, but Stafford is most recent large QB contract, 6 year $135M - avg of $22.5M

Edited by Lanny

Stafford was guaranteed $60MM upon signing and $86MM on day 1 of season 2 of his deal. 

Does anyone want to give Cousins that much?

No, which is why he's not going to get it anywhere.  Stafford was almost a Thomas Vanek-like situation.  The team couldn't watch Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford leave back-to-back, and the team had to do something to keep Stafford without his number one receiver.  Special circumstances IMO.

Open market may change things, but Stafford is most recent large QB contract, 6 year $135M - avg of $22.5M

Yeah there's no way Cousins or Smith make more than that. Especially Smith

Term and total value are fairly meaningless in the NFL. It's mostly a question of guaranteed money.

No, which is why he's not going to get it anywhere.  Stafford was almost a Thomas Vanek-like situation.  The team couldn't watch Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford leave back-to-back, and the team had to do something to keep Stafford without his number one receiver.  Special circumstances IMO.

This is fair, but the guaranteed $$ that Cousins will get won't be much lower than what Stafford got.  There is no way to get him without a huge guaranteed payment and a huge cap hit for at least 3 seasons.

Now, it's worth noting that Brees is a UFA after this year.  That's a guy worth paying through the nose for.

Any doubt that Garappolo is legit? Here's his miked up. Remind you of anyone?

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/943711300265295872/video/1

I’ll admit to being impressed. But that’s a small sample size. Trent Edwards once looked like the second coming. Until he didn’t.

I’ll admit to being impressed. But that’s a small sample size. Trent Edwards once looked like the second coming. Until he didn’t.

Even when he was being talked about as a potential League MVP candidate on PTI and being interviewed in the 5 good minutes segment, he still hadn't thrown for 300 yards in a game.

...going completely off memory.

Even when he was being talked about as a potential League MVP candidate on PTI and being interviewed in the 5 good minutes segment, he still hadn't thrown for 300 yards in a game.

...going completely off memory.

That’s probably right. Slightly different game, it was, though?

Jimmy G certainly had the sound of a successful NFL QB.

Edit: I looked it up. Welp. Those “good” games were ... not much.

Edited by That Aud Smell