Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Thank you.

Sign a QB in the off season (Cousins).

Draft a TE and a WR at 21 and 22.

Draft an OG and DT at 53 and 56.

Pick up an OLB in the 3rd rd.

We should have quite a bit of cap room, so we can make some "splashy" pro personnel moves if our GM chooses to do so. Getting rid of the Dareus contract was a big help with the cap. Cutting Tyrod and/or Kelvin Benjamin and/or Cordy Glenn would also create a bunch of space.

Cousins will get a big payday somewhere. My guess is Denver or Arizona.

We should have quite a bit of cap room, so we can make some "splashy" pro personnel moves if our GM chooses to do so. Getting rid of the Dareus contract was a big help with the cap. Cutting Tyrod and/or Kelvin Benjamin and/or Cordy Glenn would also create a bunch of space.

Cousins will get a big payday somewhere. My guess is Denver or Arizona.

Pretty sure they only get $3-4 MM in cap relief next year by not having Dareus on the roster. IIRC, there is still $10MM+ dead cap next year because of him. But then he's completely off the books the following year.

Per Spotrac they will have around 39 Million in cap space.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

For those interested trading picks 21&22 would get them to around the 6th overall pick

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

With our current needs, who is worth moving up for at #6 ? We've got too many holes right now and should be able to get a QB @ 21 and another really good prospect @ 22. No more Watkins moves ...

Edited by Gramps

If they move on from Tyrod, what else is there? McCaron?

I'm really not interested in any QB that's in the league and available. Cousins would be an upgrade, but nowhere large enough to justify the ~$15 million premium he's likely to get over Taylor. Smith is the definition of a lateral move.

I'm okay trading up for a QB, but I don't think trading into the top-10 is worth it in this class; it's deep, but no obvious stud. Kinda reminds me of last year, to be honest. There's a reason to like a handful of guys, but they all have non-trivial questions. Plus, we really do have a ton of holes to fill. Pick volume is a nice thing to have given our situation.

Pretty sure they only get $3-4 MM in cap relief next year by not having Dareus on the roster. IIRC, there is still $10MM+ dead cap next year because of him. But then he's completely off the books the following year.

Ah, yeah, we take the dead money hit for Marcell next year, but still better than carrying that atrocious contract year-over-year.

With this many viable QB prospects in the draft, I agree with the above sentiment that it'd be nice to not move up. Especially since QBs are such a crap shoot.

If they move on from Tyrod, what else is there? McCarron?

Smith? Kill me.

I'd take Alex in a heartbeat for a couple of years and draft his eventual replacement this year. Better than paying Cousins 28 mil or any other UFA. 

Edited by Gramps

I'd take Alex in a heartbeat for a couple of years and draft his eventual replacement this year. Better than paying Cousins 28 mil or any other UFA.

I fundamentally don't understand why we'd go from Tyrod to Smith. They are on precisely the same level. Unless we're keeping Dennison, because I do think Smith is better suited for his offense. But if we keep Dennison, I may become homicidal anyway...

I fundamentally don't understand why we'd go from Tyrod to Smith. They are on precisely the same level. Unless we're keeping Dennison, because I do think Smith is better suited for his offense. But if we keep Dennison, I may become homicidal anyway...

Stats say otherwise ... who can the Bills bring in that gives them the best chance to win in 2018-19 ? Certainly not a rookie. Maybe Cousins if we shore up some other areas and get him some additional targets. Who else ? Bradford ? 

How can we possibly make the playoffs this year and then take a step back next year if it's pretty much decided TT is not the answer ?  

I agree. Smith led the NFL in QB rating this year and is still only 33. He's no Tom Brady, but he is an upgrade over Tyrod. And, it'd buy us a year or two.

I agree. Smith led the NFL in QB rating this year and is still only 33. He's no Tom Brady, but he is an upgrade over Tyrod. And, it'd buy us a year or two.

Sounds good on paper and KC would probably work with us after the Mahomes deal last year.  Give them one of our 2nd rounders. 

Stats say otherwise ... who can the Bills bring in that gives them the best chance to win in 2018-19 ? Certainly not a rookie. Maybe Cousins if we shore up some other areas and get him some additional targets. Who else ? Bradford ?

How can we possibly make the playoffs this year and then take a step back next year if it's pretty much decided TT is not the answer ?

Which stats say otherwise? This year Smith was clearly better, but it was also the best statistical year of his career. Probably shouldn't bank on that repeating. TD and INT, QBR, traditional rating, Y/A, AY/A...it's pretty hard to make a strong case that Smith is a meaningful upgrade over Tyrod looking beyond just this season. They're very comparable. Again, if Dennison stays it might make sense...but Dennison should not stay. And really, with much better supporting casts than Tyrod had this year, all Alex Smith does is lose home playoff games.

As to your second point, I hope that McDermott and Beane are honest with themselves about what this team is. We largely backed into the playoffs and had a lot to right this year. Our offense was putrid, our point differential really bad, and can very easily backslide record-wise even if the roster improves. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it would be a mistake to blow our resource load on a marginal-at-best QB upgrade when there are so many other issues to address. I'm perfectly okay moving on from Taylor, but it shouldn't be because he's not the answer. There has to be a logical plan in place to get meaningfully better while still being able to address the other holes we have.

ESPN predicts most likely is Smith or Peterman . One guy suggested Bradford

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30895/where-will-tyrod-taylor-play-in-2018-nfl-insiders-predict

Anybody who really thinks we're going to go into next season with Peterman as the starter should be fired. No way does thus happen. And if by chance we actually do this, McDermott and Beane should be run out of town.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I'm really not interested in any QB that's in the league and available. Cousins would be an upgrade, but nowhere large enough to justify the ~$15 million premium he's likely to get over Taylor. Smith is the definition of a lateral move.

I'm okay trading up for a QB, but I don't think trading into the top-10 is worth it in this class; it's deep, but no obvious stud. Kinda reminds me of last year, to be honest. There's a reason to like a handful of guys, but they all have non-trivial questions. Plus, we really do have a ton of holes to fill. Pick volume is a nice thing to have given our situation.

I mean we need to have one though, and like you say in your other post, there's no way in hell it's Peterman. I'm okay with Smith for a year while drafting a QB to wait behind him. Course that depends on Smith not costing a lot

Ideally we get McCarron (I think he can start next year), and draft Mayfield/Rudolph to sit behind him and see what happens. I'm also really interested in what happens to whichever QB(s) are ousted in Minnesota. 

BTW Incognito has been accused of racial slurs during the game by Jacksonville

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21997828/jacksonville-jaguars-yannick-ngakoue-accuses-buffalo-bills-richie-incognito-using-racial-slurs

Edited by Jokertecken

Tyrod is gone. That is and has been a certainty.

Smith isn't something to build around. Age and career progression aren't what Buffalo is looking for nor what we need.

I firmly believe Buffalo is going after Kirk Cousins. The reasoning is simplistic. The team has holes to fill. Why trade up costing a high draft pick when you can use those picks to better the team immediately WHILE UTILIZING the free agent market to upgrade at QB.

I believe adding a fast outside receiver to stretch the field and a tight end that can run the seam with hands.

For WR @ 21 OA Coutland Sutton

If he's gone ILB Roquan Smith

For TE @ 22 OA Mark Andrews.

Since the picks are back to back they're interchangeable to me in any event.

But if we can sign Cousins and land Sutton and Andrews, I'd be very pleased.

Edited by Lucky E

Tyrod is gone. That I l is and has been a certainty.

Smith isn't something to build around. Age and career progression aren't what Buffalo is looking for nor what we need.

I firmly believe Buffalo is going after Kirk Cousins. The reasoning is simplistic. The team has holes to fill. Why trade up costing a high draft pick when you can use those picks to better the team immediately WHILE UTILIZING the free agent market to upgrade at QB.

I believe adding a fast outside receiver to stretch the field and a tight end that can run the seam with hands.

For WR @ 21 OA Coutland Sutton

If he's gone ILB Roquan Smith

For TE @ 22 OA Mark Andrews.

Since the picks are back to back they're interchangeable to me in any event.

But if we can sign Cousins and land Sutton and Andrews, I'd be very pleased.

Why would Kirk Cousins come here though?

Alex Smith is solely to have someone ahead of the QB you draft for 2 years that can play decently.