Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

while I think the kane thing is important, the kulikov thing is far more important. we gave up a good young d in Pysyk and obviously our D is in dire need of something and losing Kulikov for nothing to free agency at the end of he year would be a real poor move at this point. Do we trade him or sign him? I take either but if we hang on to him thne let him walk like we did Briere and Drury then I quit...

while I think the kane thing is important, the kulikov thing is far more important. we gave up a good young d in Pysyk and obviously our D is in dire need of something and losing Kulikov for nothing to free agency at the end of he year would be a real poor move at this point. Do we trade him or sign him? I take either but if we hang on to him thne let him walk like we did Briere and Drury then I quit...

It's odd to draw the line at Kulikov.  He's no where near the level of Briere or Drury.  It was a gamble that Murray took based on Kulikov conceptually being Murray's type of defenseman.  The move didn't pan out and I'm not sure if he'll even have interest from the Sabres this offseason.  Based on his play this year, we're looking at a very low draft pick for him on the trade market, I'd think.  Maybe conditional 4th rounder at best?  I am in favor of getting whatever we can since I'd like to hopefully improve his spot next year on defense and I'm not sure he's in the plans anyway.

Return wise he means

Gotcha. I was away from the board most of this weekend and didn't see that Minnesota apparently doesn't care if they ever draft again.

It's odd to draw the line at Kulikov.  He's no where near the level of Briere or Drury.  It was a gamble that Murray took based on Kulikov conceptually being Murray's type of defenseman.  The move didn't pan out and I'm not sure if he'll even have interest from the Sabres this offseason.  Based on his play this year, we're looking at a very low draft pick for him on the trade market, I'd think.  Maybe conditional 4th rounder at best?  I am in favor of getting whatever we can since I'd like to hopefully improve his spot next year on defense and I'm not sure he's in the plans anyway.

I agree, although I still hope Murray makes him a decent offer after the expansion draft. He's proven to be a solid player in Florida, I just think the combination of a completely new team and system coupled with an injury so early on equaled a bad season for him where he never fully adjusted. Hopefully that also equals a deal on his next contract. If somebody overpays him though, I'd let him walk. Not sure what I'd be comfortable offering him though. Even coming off a bad year I can't see him taking less than $25 million for 5 years. The defenseman shortage throughout the league is too great. That basically guarantees that somebody takes the gamble and pays him more than I'd be comfortable with.

The underplayed element of the Pysyk deal was the expansion draft.

I think Murray had made up his mind that Pysyk was not going to be protected, so he rolled the dice on Kulikov.

Best case scenario, he fits in well, you do a handshake deal to sign after the expansion draft. Most likely scenario, you flip him for a 2nd round draft pick. Worst case scenario - well, pretty much what we got.

I don't have any issue with the Kulikov trade.

What I have issue with is how much worse Kulikov and Bogosian have been in Buffalo than on their previous teams.

Misuse by Bylsma? Poor read on their fit by Murray? Bad luck?

That account doesn't look very legit

LOL, dang it Randall, ruining the fun :P

It isn't. I don't think anyways. But I wad waiting for the reactions.....we have to have something to chuckle at afterall....

Nah, that's Mike Commodore all right. Whether he has any idea what he's talking about is a completely different thing though.

Not sure if it is him actually. A friend in Detroit passed it along to me.

Nah, that's Mike Commodore all right. Whether he has any idea what he's talking about is a completely different thing though. 

Oh it is, but looking through it he doesn't seem to ever actually predict trades correctly - he just says #packyourshit after they've been announced really obnoxiously. I just mean that I think he's full of it.

I was listening to Vancouver radio during the deadline.

They spent a lot of time talking Kane with their guest, former Oiler GM Steve Tambellini.

Tambellini's take was that Kane has a lot of value because he brings a combination of skills that very few players bring.

GMs who are confident in their rooms wouldn't hesitate because there is a long history of questionable personalities working - he specifically referred to national team type settings - because of the leadership in place.

He also said moving him makes a lot of sense for the Sabres because his value isn't likely to increase.

Some of you probably heard Rob Ray reiterate on GR what others have posted: that he has never heard a whisper of Kane being an issue in the room in Buffalo.

Finally Murray made it clear his presser that he would be open to re-signing Kane, but there was certainly a subtext there were specific things that Kane had to do off ice before that could happen. My sense was that he would trade him as soon as he was offered fair value, but fair value in Murray's eyes would be significant.

I'm guessing June will be a lot more interesting on the trade front than today.

I was listening to Vancouver radio during the deadline.

They spent a lot of time talking Kane with their guest, former Oiler GM Steve Tambellini.

Tambellini's take was that Kane has a lot of value because he brings a combination of skills that very few players bring.

GMs who are confident in their rooms wouldn't hesitate because there is a long history of questionable personalities working - he specifically referred to national team type settings - because of the leadership in place.

He also said moving him makes a lot of sense for the Sabres because his value isn't likely to increase.

Some of you probably heard Rob Ray reiterate on GR what others have posted: that he has never heard a whisper of Kane being an issue in the room in Buffalo.

Finally Murray made it clear his presser that he would be open to re-signing Kane, but there was certainly a subtext there were specific things that Kane had to do off ice before that could happen. My sense was that he would trade him as soon as he was offered fair value, but fair value in Murray's eyes would be significant.

I'm guessing June will be a lot more interesting on the trade front than today.

Hopefully the team knows a lot more about the allegations that Kane faced over the offseason than any of us do (for good or bad), and that's informing how they want to proceed.  Every time I see a statement like that, my guess is that's the case.

Hopefully the team knows a lot more about the allegations that Kane faced over the offseason than any of us do (for good or bad), and that's informing how they want to proceed.  Every time I see a statement like that, my guess is that's the case.

Good insight.

And right there Murray just killed any residual trade value Kane hds. Who's going to want to trade for a player his GM is publicly saying he has serious concerns?

This is from the BN article:

"Murray also was hesitant to embrace a contract extension for Kane, who has another year on his deal. The GM is not ready to believe the left winger has put his off-ice issues behind him. Kane and the Sabres can talk extension beginning July 1.

“I’d be open to that. I’m not sure I’m going to do that." Murray said. “There’s a lot of bridges to cross before that time. But would I be open to it in a scenario where a couple things he has going on off the ice go away and stuff like that, absolutely.”

If the player's own GM has open doubts about trying to resign him, what GM in their right mind is going to offer up to get him? If I just see it now "Hey Timmy, why are you trying trade him? Did those off-ice issues you spoke about in March never disappear?"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.