GDT: Buffalo at Chicago 8:30 pm ET, 1/5/2016

Doohickie

Having beaten the Rangers, the Sabres are a good team again, right?  Right?

Well whatever.  The past is passed and it's time for the Sabres to prove themselves all over again.  Let's hope they can get rolling.  I'm not going to bother with the DaileyFaceOff pretty picture because, well, they're not keeping up very well.  I'm gonna go with the lines in practice Wednesday with the hope that ROR will be ready to go against the Blackhawks:

Sabres Lines:

82 Marcus Foligno - 15 Jack Eichel - 21 Kyle Okposo
9 Evander Kane - 23 Sam Reinhart - 56 Justin Bailey
27 Derek Grant - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 12 Brian Gionta
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 28 Zemgus Girgensons - 26 Matt Moulson

4 Josh Gorges - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
47 Zach Bogosian - 6 Cody Franson
41 Justin Falk - 38 Taylor Fedun

Nilsson in goal.

Blackhawks Lines:

72 Artemi Panarin - 15 Artem Anisimov - 88 Patrick Kane

24 Spencer Abbott - 19 Johnathan Toews - 81 Marian Hossa

38 Ryan Hartman - 67 Tanner Kero - 14 Richard Panik

11 Andrew Desjardins - 70 Dennis Rasmussen - 48 Vince Hinostroza

2 Duncan Keith - 4 Niklas Hjalmarsson

41 Brian Campbell - 7 Brent Seabrook

6 Machal Kempny - Trevor van Riemsdyk

50 Corey Crawford

jack-eichel-corey-crawford-nhl-chicago-b

Go Sabres!

Edited by Doohickie

This is going to be a tough one. Chicago is slumping at 1-4-1 in their last 6, but we haven't beaten then in our last 9 games, and haven't won in Chicago since 2007 apparently.

I hope O'Reilly is back. It sounds like he's healthy. If he plays it sounds like Reinhart could move down to the third line, keeping him at center. Hopefully that would mean Eichel moves down to the second line. I think I'd rather see him with Kane and Bailey, and O'Reilly and Okposo have good chemistry. I don't like Grant on the 3rd line though. I'd rather have Moulson. Then again, I don't like Grant on any line at this point. I'd rather we have someone up from Rochester.

I'm hoping Nilsson gets the start tonight, mostly because I want to see what he's got.

I just noticed Gorges is back with Risto. I hope that was simply because McCabe had the day off of practice. McCabe's supposed to play tonight, and I want him with Risto down the stretch.

Bylsma said yesterday was just a maintenance day for McCabe, the defense pairs should be the same as last game. Also said Carrier had the flu so he may be out.

I cannot imagine Grant staying on that line. That is just Carrier's spot, and if he can't go I bet they reshuffle at the morning skate.

So if McCabe plays, does that mean Gorges goes in for Fedun? I really hope not. Nilsson better be between the pipes tonight. If Lehner and Gorges are in the lineup, then DB is more goofy than I originally thought.

Would love to see if the Sabres can go on on somewhat of a little run here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not saying Nilsson is definitely better. I'm saying I want him to play more to see if he is or not. 

This season:

Lehner is 8-12-5 (32%) with .921 sv%, 2.51 gaa, 0 shut outs

Nilsson is 6-3-3 (50%) with .928 sv%,  2.35 gaa, 1 shut out

Lehner's career numbers are 43-52-23 (44%) with a .917 sv%, 2.74 gaa and 3 shut outs

Nilsson's career numbers are 25-25-7 (44%) with a .906 sv%, 2.94 gaa and 2 shut outs

The number of games makes it hard to compare straight up, but Lehner is preforming worse in terms of wins and sv%, but better in terms of gaa than his career average.

Nilsson on the other hand is crushing his career stats. But he's only played 12 games. I want more data.

Is this year a fluke? Is he getting the better matchups? Does the team play harder in front of him for some reason? I think Nilsson deserves some more starts. Maybe he's just a really solid backup. I think having a solid backup is just as important to making the playoffs as having clutch starter.

Also, if you look at points earned:

Lenher: 16+5=21/50  = 44%

Nilsson: 12+3=15/24 = 62%

Boston is currently on pace to hit 90 points for the season. Let's say to make the playoffs as the 3 seed for our division we need 95 points.

That means we need 59 out of a possible 90 points (66%). Nilsson is a lot closer to that right now. Of course that may not hold up under a larger sample size, or he may be having a fluke season. If it's the latter, I'm fine with that, but then we should ride the hotter goaltender. And if it's the former, well we're probably not making the playoffs anyways so I'd rather see that now before his contract is up.

Having beaten the Rangers, the Sabres are a good team again, right?  Right?

Well whatever.  The past is passed and it's time for the Sabres to prove themselves all over again.  Let's hope they can get rolling.  I'm not going to bother with the DaileyFaceOff pretty picture because, well, they're not keeping up very well.  I'm gonna go with the lines in practice Wednesday with the hope that ROR will be ready to go against the Blackhawks:

Sabres Lines:

82 Marcus Foligno - 15 Jack Eichel - 21 Kyle Okposo

9 Evensder Kane - 23 Sam Reinhart - 56 Justin Bailey

27 Derek Grant - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 12 Brian Gionta

44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 28 Zemgus Girgensons - 26 Matt Moulson

4 Josh Gorges - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

47 Zach Bogosian - 6 Cody Franson

41 Justin Falk - 38 Taylor Fedun

Will Nilsson or Lehner start in goal?  We'll have to wait and see.

Blackhawks Lines:

50 Corey Crawford

jack-eichel-corey-crawford-nhl-chicago-b

Go Sabres!

Evensder Kane???

Would hope OReilly with Okposo heck put OReilly at wing excep face offs with Z at center.

Risto with Gorges?  Didn't True Blue post some very detailed stats a couple weeks back showing how awful that pairing has been this season, and how Risto is much more effective when not paired with Gorges, and worse when paired with Gorges?

Does Bylsma not have access to that same information?  

^

Bylsma spoke to the issue of Gorges with Risto earlier this week. It was a bit of word salad that alluded to Gorges' value being something you would find if you were to scratch below the surface of the standard analytics (Corsi, Fenwick, etc.) -- there was some talk about the quality of scoring opportunities against and other such things. Not the standard stuff, anyway.

Matt Coller (formerly of WGR) is now in Minnesota, was dealing with some insomnia last night, and Tweeted this:

Ristolainen/Gorges: 40% Corsi, 35.3% Goals For Rasmus/McCabe: 50.1% Corsi, 57.3% GF Fireable offense to ever play Risto-Gorges together

Ristolainen/Gorges: 40% Corsi, 35.3% Goals For Rasmus/McCabe: 50.1% Corsi, 57.3% GF Fireable offense to ever play Risto-Gorges together

The "quality of scoring opportunities"?  Ok, because obviously Gorges sets up lots of scoring opportunities, with Gorges' single point, and a current productivity of 609 minutes.

Wonder how many of Risto's  25 pts were made while paired with Gorges?   

^ yup, ok.  I misread.   I'd love to see a breakout of plus/minus, or GA, while Risto and Gorges are paired, vs other pairings.    Also, Risto's offensive contribution while paired with Gorges would still be interesting - to see if Risto's productivity is higher, lower or unchanged while paired with Gorges. 

Personally I'm ready to move on from Gorges. He's got another year on his contract, so maybe we can move him for something.

I do think getting him was a good move, as him being here has been valuable to the development of our young kids, but he should be a middle 6 pairing at best for a playoff team.

And if he still has an A, he should give it up. I think for next season our letters should be: RoR - C, Eichel - A, Risto - A, although I do want Gionta back another year or two in a bottom 6 role. I think both Gionta and Gorges are veteran enough players to be willing to give up the letters, and just be vocal leaders instead.

I am venturing into the lion's den tonight.  Would like to see Jack score. Hossa is back and that gives Q more options on distributing his offense across lines. Need an inspired effort from everyone.  Why is Grant in the NHL, much lesson the Sabres?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not saying Nilsson is definitely better. I'm saying I want him to play more to see if he is or not.

This season:

Lehner is 8-12-5 (32%) with .921 sv%, 2.51 gaa, 0 shut outs

Nilsson is 6-3-3 (50%) with .928 sv%, 2.35 gaa, 1 shut out

Lehner's career numbers are 43-52-23 (44%) with a .917 sv%, 2.74 gaa and 3 shut outs

Nilsson's career numbers are 25-25-7 (44%) with a .906 sv%, 2.94 gaa and 2 shut outs

The number of games makes it hard to compare straight up, but Lehner is preforming worse in terms of wins and sv%, but better in terms of gaa than his career average.

Nilsson on the other hand is crushing his career stats. But he's only played 12 games. I want more data.

Is this year a fluke? Is he getting the better matchups? Does the team play harder in front of him for some reason? I think Nilsson deserves some more starts. Maybe he's just a really solid backup. I think having a solid backup is just as important to making the playoffs as having clutch starter.

I just don't know how win percentage helps evaluate a goalie.

Blackhawks Lines:

50 Corey Crawford

Go Sabres!

This looks like the Blueprint the Sabres will have to use once Jack and Sam get paid.

Jack, Sam, Risto, Nylander, ROR, Okposo and McCabe and then a whole lotta nothing. Just pluggers filling out the roster earning < $1mill.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.