Will Byslma be the HC Next Year?

WildCard

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will DD Be the HC Next Season?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but he won't make it through the year

A nice piece by Dave Davis on the Sabres situation.... 

http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/while-bylsmas-seat-gets-warm-murray-still-gets-a-pass

If we lose this afternoon (I hope not), do we start thinking of another mini-blow up and start getting all the kids up here???

Edited by jsb

A nice piece by Dave Davis on the Sabres situation.... 

http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/while-bylsmas-seat-gets-warm-murray-still-gets-a-pass

If we lose this afternoon (I hope not), do we start thinking of another mini-blow up and start getting all the kids up here???

If Murray knows this isn't a playoff team (and perhaps has known it from the start), then it's the smart move. Except, ya know, it is a business, and the optics of another tanky situation would be terrible.

I'm just looking for a sign of life from Murray.

If Murray knows this isn't a playoff team (and perhaps has known it from the start), then it's the smart move. Except, ya know, it is a business, and the optics of another tanky situation would be terrible.

Yep.

Also, Dave Davis has good takes.

Just so you know, I disagree on your takes of what you think Lindy's teams looked like. I watched them. They were way more Alamode mode most of the time which occasionally led to an odd rush breakaway that they took advantage of. He relied heavily on an elite goaltender (yes, PA, Miller was elite at times). But getting out of our own zone was pain at times (most of the time). We were the farthest thing from a possession team.

Never knew Lindy was a big fan of ice cream

Yep.

Also, Dave Davis has good takes.

Yep to sign of life? I have to say I was expecting more last offseason. More like the 2015 offseason. Bigger, bolder moves. ZFG. Shocking moves. He told us not to fall in love with the kids and prospects. I dunno. I still think they need at least one more good round of turning over of soil. It feels too stagnant right now. Like Murray thinks all the ingredients are in the crock pot and now we just have to wait six to eight hours.

Optics are what people make of them. The Sabres will continue to do just fine financially regardless of the season. Edmonton managed to put together a longer run of crappy seasons and they ended up with a new rink and are playing quite well these days. Even the fans that go away come back.

I am sure Murray could put together a strong contender if the goal was to win now at all costs.  The fans would get their 1-2 decent seasons and then everything would go into the crapper and we'd be left with a long stretch of playing even more terrible hockey with no hope of success.  It all seems worth it when you've been working through losses for so long.  

I want a Detroit run at the playoffs, not a Panthers run.  

This season is the calm before the storm I suppose.  The league is in limbo because of the expansion draft so taking on longer term players through a trade might prove tough if you have to expose them this summer.

Yep to sign of life? I have to say I was expecting more last offseason. More like the 2015 offseason. Bigger, bolder moves. ZFG. Shocking moves. He told us not to fall in love with the kids and prospects. I dunno. I still think they need at least one more good round of turning over of soil. It feels too stagnant right now. Like Murray thinks all the ingredients are in the crock pot and now we just have to wait six to eight hours.

Or six to eight years...

That was a lame article.* Dan should get a pass also cause the team isn't fast* and then calls out us fans because we *don't know Dan's system*. Answer this Mr Smarty pants author... Under Dan why do we look, to the average dim wit fan, worse than last year?

Edited by Woods-Racer

Or six to eight years...

I think PA's crock pot analogy is a good one.

I think Murray acquired Okposo (27) O'Reilly (25) Kane (25) Lehner (24) Reinhart (21) Eichel (20) and Nylander (18) and re-signed Ristolainen (22) believing they could be part of a core he could contend with. I think he knows he needs another good defenceman, but he will let the other pieces stew for quite a while before giving up on them.

Rightly or wrongly, I think Murray is very confident in his ability to judge talent.

But the man at the controls of the cooker will definitely be gone long before he changes his mind on the above ingredients.

Edited by dudacek

Yep to your desire to see something from GM TM.

He said rebuilds need not take 5 years. Waiting on Guhle, Nylander, Asplund, and 2017 D prospect -- seems like a 5 year process.

Yup, great analogy. I get the same feeling - like Murray is just waiting. That from the man who said rebuilds shouldn't take 5 years. If we are good next year, that'll be in season 4. If we aren't - Murray was wrong.

I think PA's crock pot analogy is a good one.

I think Murray acquired Okposo (27) O'Reilly (25) Kane (25) Lehner (24) Reinhart (21) Eichel (20) and Nylander (18) and re-signed Ristolainen (22) believing they could be part of a core he could contend with. I think he knows he needs another good defenceman, but he will let the other pieces stew for quite a while before giving up on them.

Rightly or wrongly, I think Murray is very confident in his ability to judge talent.

But the man at the controls of the cooker will definitely be gone long before he changes his mind on the above ingredients.

To this point I like Murray's amateur scouting much more than his pro scouting. On this note...

Yep to your desire to see something from GM TM.

He said rebuilds need not take 5 years. Waiting on Guhle, Nylander, Asplund, and 2017 D prospect -- seems like a 5 year process.

I think the bigger issue is trades really don't happen much at this point in the season since too many teams are still alive, plus the requirements of the expansion draft adding gum to the gears, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect any kind of major move....however....maybe the big trade misses have made him a bit gunshy? Going back to the offseason, I wonder if 2014 Tim Murray would have given Anaheim what it wanted for Fowler.

Yup, great analogy. I get the same feeling - like Murray is just waiting. That from the man who said rebuilds shouldn't take 5 years. If we are good next year, that'll be in season 4. If we aren't - Murray was wrong.

Point of order: he said rebuilds don't have to take 5 years, not that they shouldn't. Fine line, admittedly, but I think there's a difference there. More to the point, I think it's simply reality that Murray already fired the largest bullets in his holster, the return has been underwhelming, and waiting is his only real option at the moment.

Optics are what people make of them. The Sabres will continue to do just fine financially regardless of the season. Edmonton managed to put together a longer run of crappy seasons and they ended up with a new rink and are playing quite well these days. Even the fans that go away come back.

I am sure Murray could put together a strong contender if the goal was to win now at all costs.  The fans would get their 1-2 decent seasons and then everything would go into the crapper and we'd be left with a long stretch of playing even more terrible hockey with no hope of success.  It all seems worth it when you've been working through losses for so long.  

I want a Detroit run at the playoffs, not a Panthers run.  

This season is the calm before the storm I suppose.  The league is in limbo because of the expansion draft so taking on longer term players through a trade might prove tough if you have to expose them this summer.

Yep. The expansion draft has to be considered in any trade you make. If you're going quality for quantity (which IMHO the Sabres do still have the bullets to pull off) you have to add in to the package that you are giving up the difference in value between your #7 & #8 F (possibly #5 vs #8 if you now need to protect a 4th D) to Vegas along w/ everything else you are giving up.

Just one more reason to say "#### you" to Darcy Regier & his "suffering." The timimg of the tank was horrible & now the timing for rebuilding stinks too.

And ftr, I expect Bylsma gone by the end of January. Uncle Terry steps in on an interim basis & they grab a young up & comer (Dineen maybe?) to actually teach the kids next year. & THAT guy gets them back into the playoffs.

Yep. The expansion draft has to be considered in any trade you make. If you're going quality for quantity (which IMHO the Sabres do still have the bullets to pull off) you have to add in to the package that you are giving up the difference in value between your #7 & #8 F (possibly #5 vs #8 if you now need to protect a 4th D) to Vegas along w/ everything else you are giving up.

Just one more reason to say "#### you" to Darcy Regier & his "suffering." The timimg of the tank was horrible & now the timing for rebuilding stinks too.

And ftr, I expect Bylsma gone by the end of January. Uncle Terry steps in on an interim basis & they grab a young up & comer (Dineen maybe?) to actually teach the kids next year. & THAT guy gets them back into the playoffs.

I would give anything... anything... to see Terry behind the bench. It's possible I would sell my soul to Satan himself. It's such a great image. Maybe I will just enjoy it mentally and not burn in Hell forever.

I would give anything... anything... to see Terry behind the bench. It's possible I would sell my soul to Satan himself. It's such a great image. Maybe I will just enjoy it mentally and not burn in Hell forever.

You know he means LA Terry, not Mr. Kim, right? ????

(FTR, I prefer your way)

Edited by dudacek

To this point I like Murray's amateur scouting much more than his pro scouting. On this note...

I think the bigger issue is trades really don't happen much at this point in the season since too many teams are still alive, plus the requirements of the expansion draft adding gum to the gears, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect any kind of major move....however....maybe the big trade misses have made him a bit gunshy? Going back to the offseason, I wonder if 2014 Tim Murray would have given Anaheim what it wanted for Fowler.

Point of order: he said rebuilds don't have to take 5 years, not that they shouldn't. Fine line, admittedly, but I think there's a difference there. More to the point, I think it's simply reality that Murray already fired the largest bullets in his holster, the return has been underwhelming, and waiting is his only real option at the moment.

The context of his quote though, if I am remembering correctly, was that he was clearly implying his rebuild shouldn't take 5, and that he certainly intended it to be shorter than that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.