The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

I was reading that in the UK, they drive on the left and that the reason goes back to medevial times. 

When on horses jousting, the shield was in the L hand at the weapon in the right, you are aligned to charge on the left side. This was apparently one of the driving forces behind it. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was reading that in the UK, they drive on the left and that the reason goes back to medevial times. 

When on horses jousting, the shield was in the L hand at the weapon in the right, you are aligned to charge on the left side. This was apparently one of the driving forces behind it. 

Wrong thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/28/2024 at 3:45 PM, Doohickie said:

I've lost 11 pounds in the last two and a half weeks.  Got a ways to go.

Congrats but how ? ? ?   That cannot be sustainable.  

I have lost 20 lbs in the past 4 months and I am stuck right now.

I am now doing weight training 3-4 days per week, walking every day, golfing twice a week (at least), eating better and less, and no snacks after dinner in the evening - just water.  Feels good to be down one full pants size and then some. 

I cut  booze and beer and wine to ZERO for 2 months.  Now I have just one here and one there, only on occasion. 

I keep telling my wife to stop buying sweets and chips and stuff like that.  Sometimes she listens.  

But I am kind of stuck now, and I still want to lose about 10 more to reach my goal - which is to drop another pants size. 

Right now I feel great, lots of energy, and vitality (if you know what I mean).    I am sleeping so much better too, in bed by 10:30,  and up and ready to go by 7:00 am.  

So even though I am stuck on my weight loss, maybe I should just be happy with losing 3 pounds a month for the next 3 months and I will get there by July, but the process has become very slow.  

I guess I am ok being slow and steady.  My kid said the weight training makes me look thinner but I am adding muscle, so people think I lost more weight than I actually have.  I am going to add yoga moves and basic calisthenics to my routine so that I can do it during my spring and summer travels.   I travel quite a bit being retired - it is easy to over eat and over drink when you are away from home and not in your routine.  

Any ideas from the SS team on how to accelerate weight loss would help?  My two sons, both who are workout warrior maniacs, told me to cut back sugar and really watch the carbs too.  I only use sugar for coffee, two cups per day.  I cut out candy and deserts, I might have a taste here and there.  They want me to read labels and such - like what barbeque sauce I put on my chicken.  They said sugar is in almost everything.  But label reading is a level of work I don't want to do.  

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Any ideas from the SS team on how to accelerate weight loss would help?  My two sons, both who are workout warrior maniacs, told me to cut back sugar and really watch the carbs too.  I only use sugar for coffee, two cups per day.  I cut out candy and deserts, I might have a taste here and there.  They want me to read labels and such - like what barbeque sauce I put on my chicken.  They said sugar is in almost everything.  But label reading is a level of work I don't want to do.  

Marketing has complicated weight loss. Simply put, you need to burn more Kcal than you ingest. If you do this over time, you will lose weight. 

Intermittent fasting is also great for this as it forces the body into mild ketosis, the body is then forced to get energy from stored fat supplies, it's hard to be consistent though. 

Sugars and carbs are Def the enemy of weight loss. 

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I hope you know that was a joke.

Yes, I'm aware 😜 

The better question is, how often am I serious 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Congrats but how ? ? ?   That cannot be sustainable.  

Turns out you're right.

At first I was losing almost a pound a day.  I cut out nearly all snacks (I'm a big snacker), and I try to skip a meal a day (replaced with a light snack like a cheese stick).  Also, try to cut down on the alcohol.

So I lost the 11 pounds right away.  It's slowed down now; I've lost 14 pounds.  Still going the right direction though.

• Like (+1) 1

Exercise-wise I don't do as much as I should.  I have a weekly bicycle ride (but it's a breakfast ride so I guess that cancels it out); I need to do other rides.  I'm also doing quite a bit of "yardio", doing a thorough cleanup of the yard for spring.We've had some tough winters in Texas, temperature-wise, and a lot of plants have a lot of dead branches to trim out, and I've got a few that are totally dead so I'm pulling those out.

Skipping meals is never a good idea, IMO.

Exercise is good.

I am kind of going the other direction, but I started out a scrawny little weakling - less than 150 until the last year or so.  Now I still am a weakling, but not as scrawny.  I have not weighed myself in forever, but I am more than 150 that's for sure.

Oh, I'm still about 20 pounds into the Obese range of BMI, and I can't claim "but I'm a muscular build" because I'm basically a skinny kid that got old and fat.  I can't get younger but I wouldn't mind being skinny again.

Edited by Doohickie

Thoughts on losing 21 pounds:
. Waist size down from 40 to 38
. All the permanent aches and pains I've been living with are going away
. I literally feel like I have a spring in my step. My gait is perceptibly faster
. I can do a full squat. Previously one of my knees hurt bad enough that I couldn't fully flex it; now I can
. Can't quite stand up from a full squat though. Not yet.

One last thing: The yardio is working. When I first started working out in the yard it was exhausting, especially the bending down and getting back up, lifting bags of mulch/soil/whatever. It's a good rehab program. And the yard looks nicer than it has in a couple years.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Holy hell man.   Not sure what happened since I don't follow on here as much as others but I'm really sorry and I hope you're on the up and up. 

Found out by chance that I had a brain tumor in February of 22 got it removed to a full recovery, including the best season of snowboarding I’ve ever had. 

This was the first time.

IMG_5080.thumb.jpeg.b1b5112a335abfe8af3dbed4e5cf0326.jpeg

been Under constant survalance ever since on a clinical trail. They found some regrowth really early so they went in yesterday with the Mellon baller and scooped the bad it out. I’m home a day later with no pain and six weeks off from work. Kinda amazing.🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1