One goal again...enough is enough

matter2003

It is hard to envision Pu being useful. Getting Pu on the PP is desired by most but it could be toxic. Especially if Pu is on the PP and then inserts himself into the crease repeatedly. It can get a little hairy so we'll have to ensure the crease is free and clear.

Also, The D may push Pu right into the open mouth of the goal. It takes a special kinda goalie to allow this type of play. I'd suggest monitoring how often they visit the ATM.

Post of the hour, maybe day, maybe week, maybe even year ...

This is way over-analyzed. The PLAYERS, have to execute within the system to be successful, and they are not executing. Murray, or Disco are not the issue. The Players are not finishing chances, and way too many defensive lapses are the problem. The fact that our goalie cannot stop anyone during the shootout also adds to them not collecting the extra point.

Edited by DirtDart

It's not allowed. He can come up only after his junior season is over.

That said Pu is a nice prospect, but I don't see him as a future NHL player.... maybe a depth guy but nothing more.

Last I saw in the Pu thread, his OHL pace translates to something like 40 points in the NHL. If that's the Sabres future depth, I'm really happy. I'd be surprised if more than a handful of teams have a guy over 30 points/yr in the bottom 6. One data point, the top-scoring team (Goals-for) in the NHL last year, the Dallas Stars, had six forwards and two D over 30 points last year. They also had three more forwards at 29 points. If the statistical average for OHL to NHL holds for Pu, he is a solid NHL player for bottom-6, maybe second line. He's apparently playing PK so he's not terrible defensively.

This is way over-analyzed. The Players are not finishing chances, and way too many defensive lapses are the problem.

The first part (the finishing) is partially true recently. Overall though, they haven't been getting enough chances.

The lapses are again only partially true. The amount is relatively few. It's just that when their margin for error is so small they can't overcome more than a handful.

We are a capable defensive team and an abysmal offensive team.

That is why our games are so boring - no open ice for them, no creativity for us equals few chances.

Usually you credit the coach and blame the talent when that is the case.

But I think a combination of over coaching and injuries has completely robbed us of our offensive confidence.

Edited by dudacek

The first part (the finishing) is partially true recently. Overall though, they haven't been getting enough chances.

The lapses are again only partially true. The amount is relatively few. It's just that when their margin for error is so small they can't overcome more than a handful.

We are a capable defensive team and an abysmal offensive team.

That is why our games are so boring - no open ice for them, no creativity for us equals few chances.

Usually you credit the coach and blame the talent when that is the case.

But I think a combination of over coaching and injuries has completely robbed us of our offensive confidence.

This is a good post. It illuminates the idea for me that at least a decent portion of the frustration with the team is due to a stylistic choice from DD and not ineptness. We are capable defensively, after all. People are drawing unfavourable comparisons to the Leafs, but with all the injuries we suffered, it's pretty much a wash in the standings as they are only 3 points ahead of us. They are scoring a lot more, but that's really due to the system Bylsma is choosing to play. I am hoping things may be different once we get Eichel back and now with a healthy ROR. Eichel may have the game breaking talent to create enough offence to appease the fan base if other players start cashing in a little more as well, even though we play a defensive style.

It depends what people want to see. Obviously it's an extreme example, but would people be ok if we became thr early 2000s Devils, if we are winning? Or is a more offensive style wanted regardless.

Girgensons' struggles talked about in the News today. Sounds like he still wants to be that north-south, non-stop engine, power forward, Energizer Bunny player he was at the start of his career. DD's advice is so inspiring and clear as mud:

"The answer for Zemgus is not to go out and freewheel, not to go search for it on every corner and try to produce and create all over the ice every time he gets a chance to touch the puck or get near the puck," Bylsma said. "He's got to have an understanding of where he needs to be at for a team game and at the same time where he needs to be at to get and produce offensive chances and goals for us. That's really the quandary for his game right now, is finding that happy medium and balance in his game."

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/27/no-shots-no-chance/

How does a hockey player's brain try to process that? Seriously.

Then I got to thinking about a video of Bylsma addressing the Pens before a game that I posted when he was first hired here. My "coach by numbers" fears seem to have been realized. Wow, you really wanna break down the doors to get on the ice. F2... you're sinking our Battleship.

Edited by PASabreFan

That speech was just amazing. I mean ###### amazing! Disco Dan really pumps my nads...

Jesus Christ, could we have a more boring team?

The higher up the ranks to you get in hockey, the less of the rah rah type speeches you hear from coaches.    If you've reached the NHL level it's because you're extremely self-motivated.    The pre-game stuff is very technical, systems are discussed, video review... it's all very cerebral.

This is a good post. It illuminates the idea for me that at least a decent portion of the frustration with the team is due to a stylistic choice from DD and not ineptness. We are capable defensively, after all. People are drawing unfavourable comparisons to the Leafs, but with all the injuries we suffered, it's pretty much a wash in the standings as they are only 3 points ahead of us. They are scoring a lot more, but that's really due to the system Bylsma is choosing to play. I am hoping things may be different once we get Eichel back and now with a healthy ROR. Eichel may have the game breaking talent to create enough offence to appease the fan base if other players start cashing in a little more as well, even though we play a defensive style.

It depends what people want to see. Obviously it's an extreme example, but would people be ok if we became thr early 2000s Devils, if we are winning? Or is a more offensive style wanted regardless.

I'd be happier than I am with the team being dull and losing, but I wouldn't be satisfied. If the choice were binary between good and boring vs. bad and fun, I take good and boring. But I neither think it has to be that way in the abstract, nor with the roster currently assembled. 

Girgensons' struggles talked about in the News today. Sounds like he still wants to be that north-south, non-stop engine, power forward, Energizer Bunny player he was at the start of his career. DD's advice is so inspiring and clear as mud:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/27/no-shots-no-chance/

How does a hockey player's brain try to process that? Seriously.

Then I got to thinking about a video of Bylsma addressing the Pens before a game that I posted when he was first hired here. My "coach by numbers" fears seem to have been realized. Wow, you really wanna break down the doors to get on the ice. F2... you're sinking our Battleship.

That hurts.

I want to like Dan. I think blaming the coach for a player's problems is usually a cop-out.

I always, always believe a system needs to adapt to players, not the other way around.

We are wasting away a good player with Zemgus and I am scared about the damage we might be doing to a great one in Reinhart.

How the hell can Dan say Zemgus needs to adjust when virtually every player's numbers are down?

Hasn't it occurred to Dan that he might need to adjust?

Well, other than Ted Nolan just telling telling everyone to play hard, what do we have to compare this speech to? I've never heard one. I don't see what's necessarily wrong about recapping the strategy for the game.

I just saw this post. How can you not see him as a future NHL player? my guess is you've never seen him at all.

Skinny, fragile, subpar hockey IQ, below average shot velocity, poor face-off skills, average puck handling skills.....

Look, I like him as a prospect, he was a good pick in the 3rd round as he's an above average skater with excellent speed and agility.  Statistically he's reaping the benefits of getting plenty of ice time on a top junior team.

If he can round out his game he has as good a chance as any other 3rd rounder, but there's a lot of areas he needs to improve on before we should even consider putting him in a Sabres sweater.  

Pi, I think you're reading (or making up) a scouting report from last year.

He is kinda skinny, but listed at 6'2" 190. He's 18 and no Ryan Miller.

Sub par - a good weasel word, compared to what? - hockey IQ and puck handling abilities and a below average shot don't create the numbers he's put up as an 18-year-old, especially when we've already established he's not feasting off a generous official scorer or a McDavid on his flank. He may also be the best face off man in the OHL.

I agree that it's too early to get excited and that he slots in at a no-sure-thing level with guys like Bailey and Baptiste. There's a reason he was picked where he was. He's not at a Nylander level. But let's not be disingenuous about the growth he's shown either.

Edited by dudacek

Skinny, fragile, subpar hockey IQ, below average shot velocity, poor face-off skills, average puck handling skills.....

Look, I like him as a prospect, he was a good pick in the 3rd round as he's an above average skater with excellent speed and agility.  Statistically he's reaping the benefits of getting plenty of ice time on a top junior team.

If he can round out his game he has as good a chance as any other 3rd rounder, but there's a lot of areas he needs to improve on before we should even consider putting him in a Sabres sweater.  

where are you getting your information from? He is 6'2 192lbs at 18.5 years of age. 64% Face off %. as per his hockey IQ and puck handling skills. 

Here is the scouting report from Future Considerations:

SCOUTING REPORT: Pu is a power forward with size and offensive skill. He displays good vision on the
rush with the puck while moving at top speed, able to see his options and seam a pass or keep it if
needed. He looks poised with the puck as he stickhandles through the neutral zone and gains the zone, Pu is a like a dog
on a bone at times, trying to get the puck off the man in the corner and down ice with strong back
pressure. He is used as more of a depth scoring option due to London’s high-end talent up front, but he
has done an admirable job creating offense nonetheless while also limiting the chances against and
playing on the second penalty killing unit. Pu does a good job getting the inside track on footraces and
turning up ice to make the smart play. Because he skates well, he displays some offensive skill and has
size. We think he will blossom and take his game to the next level when the likes of Marner, Dvorak and
Tkachuk graduate and he moves into London’s top six. He has the talent to develop into a scoring threat
in the OHL, but may need some time.

From Hockey Buzz:

CLIFF PU went from nobody to hot prospect
with a surge in the playoffs showing spiked
confidence in his speed, grit, and finishing
ability. A solid 6’1.5’’ 192 with breakaway
speed, Pu in all seriousness was a steady top 9C
for London this year .Pu has a little bit
of everything you want in a pivot: speed, grit,
effort, sense to go where the puck will be,
quickness on the cycle, and quickness to break
out.
Edited by Crusader1969

from OHL Prospects blog June 2016

Cliff Pu - Forward - London Knights (2 votes)

Highest Placement: 9th (1x)

Comments:

"While overshadowed by London's top line, Pu has been a huge driver on the second line thanks to his speed and vision. Has all the tools to be an impact player next year and his size makes him a tantalizing NHL prospect." - Kennedy

"Biggest riser in the entire draft. He has shed the label of being soft and become a very quick power forward that has just gotten exceptionally better under Dale Hunter. He uses his speed and size now to create opportunities and although he will never crush guys, he isn't scared." - Seidel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.