It's time to dump some bad players if possible

GASabresIUFAN

It's time to get rid of players eating cap space who aren't contributing.  At this point it's addition by subtraction.

1) Once they are healthy, Bogo and Kane need to go.  We need get what ever we can for them now even if it's just a bag of pucks,  $10 mill in cap savings will be a good thing.

2) Gorges - I'm not sure there is any market for him, but maybe a playoff team could use him at the deadline.

3) Franson - again a deadline type trade. (granted he is coming off the books by season's end anyway)

Moving these "players" would add nearly 17 million in relative cap space for the season giving Murray the room to go after talent at the deadline or in the off-season like Fowler or Shattenkirk.  

The biggest problem is that we have no one other then Casey Nelson in the pipeline to replace some departed D. Maybe we'll callup Guhle and give him a shot.  He can't be worse then what we have now and he at least move the puck.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/11/11/13605740/watch-sabres-dman-brendan-guhle-scores-a-stunning-goal

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Yes, because everyone will want to add bad players to their lineups

I did say I'd take a bag of pucks and "if possible"

All these guys are trade-able in the right circumstances.  However none are part of the long-term solution here and we'd be much better served without all of them and saving as much of their cap hit as possible.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Well, Mr. Bogo Bunker in his case I suspect you would throw in some cash, or something, just to get him off the team.

#amIright

Unfortunately, despite bringing The Bunker to Sabrespace...I have also watched Casey Nelson play hockey :lol:

I'm 100% in favor of getting rid of Bogo, but I can't see a viable replacement happening mid-season.

Unfortunately, despite bringing The Bunker to Sabrespace...I have also watched Casey Nelson play hockey :lol:

I'm 100% in favor of getting rid of Bogo, but I can't see a viable replacement happening mid-season.

At that point Tank III should be in full swing..

I'll never understand the Bogo hate. I guess once the whipping boy status starts fermenting, it never goes away. I just don't get it. But we should get rid of him, we all know the massive surplus this league has in quality defensemen. It should be no big problem picking up a good 2/3 D-man. Hell, let's pick up five of them while we're at it. 

How about we work on the depth before we work on the top. It's not the top guys that are hurting this team, it's the lack of depth. Priorities, people, priorities. 

I'll never understand the Bogo hate. I guess once the whipping boy status starts fermenting, it never goes away. I just don't get it. But we should get rid of him, we all know the massive surplus this league has in quality defensemen. It should be no big problem picking up a good 2/3 D-man. Hell, let's pick up five of them while we're at it. 

How about we work on the depth before we work on the top. It's not the top guys that are hurting this team, it's the lack of depth. Priorities, people, priorities. 

Nailed it.

Drain the Swamp.  Sadly, it may be need to be done on the Sabres and Bills also.  These franchises are not exactly moving forward.  

The good news is that I think the Sabres have pieces.  Reinhart, Eichel, ROR, Okposo and Larsson up front, although Reinhart has miles to go before he is an elite player.  McCabe and Risto on the blueline, and I like this goalie tandem although both have holes in their games.  However the rest could be changed out tomorrow.  This few players is pretty hard to swallow 4 years into the rebuild.  

No I'm not a Kulikov or Bogosian fan.  Both were puck movers when entering the NHL. Both are big and fast and both sound on paper like a solution.  However, neither has displayed those skills on a consistent basis.  Bogo has never learned to play D and his point production has trended down since entering the NHL (career highs 10g and 30pts)  and he can't stay healthy.  Kulikov has learned to be more physical and play some D, but his production has disappeared completely after diminishing in FLA (Career hi 8 g and 28 pts; 1g and 17 pts last year).  Neither of these guys are worth anything near where they are being paid.  We are only stuck with Kulikov until the trade deadline, but Bogosian is another issue.  If I had to keep one, I'd side with Kulikov.

The problem is finding a solution.  Nelson is a 5/6 at best.  Guhle is a Jr and no one else internally is close.  Fowler or Shattenkirk might come available, but price will be steep.  I'm not really sure what to do except maybe tank it again and see what the lottery and the trade deadline might bring, because even with Eichel, this team isn't going anywhere.

The Bills are another matter. 

It's time to get rid of players eating cap space who aren't contributing.  At this point it's addition by subtraction.

1) Once they are healthy, Bogo and Kane need to go.  We need get what ever we can for them now even if it's just a bag of pucks,  $10 mill in cap savings will be a good thing.

2) Gorges - I'm not sure there is any market for him, but maybe a playoff team could use him at the deadline.

3) Franson - again a deadline type trade. (granted he is coming off the books by season's end anyway)

Moving these "players" would add nearly 17 million in relative cap space for the season giving Murray the room to go after talent at the deadline or in the off-season like Fowler or Shattenkirk.  

The biggest problem is that we have no one other then Casey Nelson in the pipeline to replace some departed D. Maybe we'll callup Guhle and give him a shot.  He can't be worse then what we have now and he at least move the puck.

No. That is the simplest way I can answer to this. We need 10mil in cap space for what? This isn't the offseason, there isn't some big UFA to go get. Also who fills the spot left by... oh dear god, you want to dump 3 defenders and possibly a 4th. Bogosian, Franson, Gorges, and Kulikov, you want all of them gone? Come on this is a ridiculous thread start. You even note we don't have the players to replace them in the system. Cap dumping players for a "bag of pucks" is blatant asset mismanagement and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding how good those players actually are.

I am curious to know how many points you think a teams middle 3 defenders should contribute? You are mad at 20-35points because that isn't enough but what should they get? 50? 60? 80 points? What would be good. This teams problem is not the defense. It is an offensive system predicated on shooting from low percentage areas to maintain offensive zone possession. 

Edited by LGR4GM

The only person I would want to see traded ASAP is Matt Moulson - we are near his maximum trade value at the moment, though it take the Sabres eating some salary to make it happen.

Yup. Trade him to a contender retain 25% and be thankful Moulson is a good guy who helped the team. 

Well, Bogosian isn't a good 2/3, he's a bad 2/3. If Bogosian is your second or third best Dman, you're not a contender.

Well, Bogosian isn't a good 2/3, he's a bad 2/3. If Bogosian is your second or third best Dman, you're not a contender.

That canbe said for pretty much every line. I think you are not a contender if Deslauriers is on your 4th line. Love his passion and attitude but not enough for a cup team :/

I think many on this forum tend to overvalue what a 2/3 D-man should be in this league. More and more responsibilities are placed on defenseman today than ever before, with more playing time and only three lines to split time. Expectations are too high whether you're a bottom dwelling team or a Cup contender. Look around, probably 95% of all the teams in the league have a 2/3 that is equivalent to Bogo.

How can a guy being paid $5 mill per season who can't stay healthy, hasn't produced any offense or play good defense be considered a good 2/3 or even a viable one? He is an overpaid 5/6 at this point, but we are stuck with him in a 3/4 role. I had hoped he'd build on his play at the end of last season. However, he is back to the player from the beginning of last season and that is the 3rd strike in my book. (The 1st strike was the lack of improvement while in WpG).

At least Moulson took the criticism to heart and worked on his game and he is better this season. So of course some on this site say we need to trade him immediately, because trading away the leading scorer of a team that can't score makes sense.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.