2016/17 Sabres Fantasy Gambling Contest

Hank

Yeah but the line will be less favorable now, too.  

True. I guess I have to work out how the lines work in hockey. Football -3 means you have to win by more than 3 to beat the spread. I don't get the -167 and +209 stuff in hockey instinctually.

Detroit            +105     +1.5(-270)   Over 5.5 (+115)

Colorado         -125    -1.5 (+230) Under 5.5 (-135)

The home team will always be listed on the bottom.

In the first column to the right of the team names you see a +105 next to Detroit and a -125 next to Colorado.  This represents the money line if you take a team to win straight up. If you pick Detroit, your winnings would be higher. +105 means that if you bet $10 on Detroit to win straight up and you win your bet, you will get paid $10.50 in profit.  If you take Colorado to win straight up, you will have to bet $12.50 to make $10.00 profit since their money line is -125. 

So you do bet the games straight up (usually) its just the odds you get on betting it. So in this case, I'd still want to put money on the Sabres if I think they win, because that's the only way to make money. The odds might determine whether I want to bet at all, but not for whom I would bet.

Edited by sabills

I read it before, but couldn't make hide nor hair of it; re-reading it now after that primer makes more sense. So let me see if I get this right.

If the line is Sabres +200, and I bet on the Sabres, and they win I make 100 bucks.

If the line is Sabres -200, I would have to bet 200 in order to make 100 if they win.

is that right?

I read it before, but couldn't make hide nor hair of it; re-reading it now after that primer makes more sense. So let me see if I get this right.

If the line is Sabres +200, and I bet on the Sabres, and they win I make 100 bucks.

If the line is Sabres -200, I would have to bet 200 in order to make 100 if they win.

is that right?

Almost. You got the "-" right. For the "+" you win that number for every $100 bet, in your example if you bet $300 on the Sabres at +200 you would win $600

I think we need to wait until either Hank posts the lines or we agree when the lines are final from the site, otherwise we could all be wagering differing "units" as the lines move.

I am slow to learn. (I love numbers; I'm not a wagerer).

I rescind my bet and will await Hank's official posting of the line!

They're both favorites?

I think technically the Habs are the favorite. It's not that uncommon for both teams to have a "-", it's the same in the Bruins / blue jackets game.

Again, the money line is from betdsi.com. Anyone can see it if they wish.

I think technically the Habs are the favorite. It's not that uncommon for both teams to have a "-", it's the same in the Bruins / blue jackets game.

Again, the money line is from betdsi.com. Anyone can see it if they wish.

Interesting. I don't remember having ever seen that, but I  guess it makes sense for the first game of the year to not have a favorite. It's basically a pick'em game where the house makes sure it can win more than it loses.

Interesting. I don't remember having ever seen that, but I  guess it makes sense for the first game of the year to not have a favorite. It's basically a pick'em game where the house makes sure it can win more than it loses.

Lines usually aren't reciprocal, if that's the word I'm looking for.  It's how the house makes its money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.