OT: Should I turn on my heat?

Eleven

25 members have voted

1. 1. The question is in the topic.

• Yes
    • No

It's already a little chilly in the bedroom of Elevenland.

I've always waited until Oct 1 at the earliest.

But I woke up COLD last night!

So what so we think?

Funny you mention this. I didn't think anything of it Saturday night, woke up freezing. My poor little four month old was as well.  I went downstairs, and the house was 64 degrees. So yes, turn it on. I did,

Remember where most of the body's heat is lost. Get a cap, Eleven. A nightcap.

The problem for those who are home during the day is that it's not really getting warm enough anymore outside to heat the house up naturally (windows open). It was 58 in my house this morning. No choice but to turn the heat on for a bit to get it up into the mid 60s anyway.

Remember where most of the body's heat is lost. Get a cap, Eleven. A nightcap.

I've often wondered about this.  I can generally go out in the cold with no hat and feel perfectly fine.  When people say most of your heat is lost through your head, isn't this primarily because every other part of your body is covered when it's cold?  What if you were naked?  Then what percentage of your heat would be lost from above the neck?  There is also the matter of exhaling warm air.  This is pretty much a given if you want to keep breathing.  If this is part of the calculation of how much heat is being lost from your head, then a hat isn't going to matter very much.

I've often wondered about this.  I can generally go out in the cold with no hat and feel perfectly fine.  When people say most of your heat is lost through your head, isn't this primarily because every other part of your body is covered when it's cold?  What if you were naked?  Then what percentage of your heat would be lost from above the neck?  There is also the matter of exhaling warm air.  This is pretty much a given if you want to keep breathing.  If this is part of the calculation of how much heat is being lost from your head, then a hat isn't going to matter very much.

This is correct.

wow its getting cold already back home? my mom mentioned it when we talked yesterday. it hit around 100 yesterday here in socal. Psyched to see how Sabres do this year. Hope they beat the ducks this year sick and tired of hearing it from duck fans. Oh ya turn your heat on. At least if your furnace has issues you have time to fix it b4 you really need it.

Dear Josie,

I would like to formally request a new avatar for our dearest Eleven: an old, withered Gilbert, freezing in 60 degree weather. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

TrueBlue

Best I could do in brief break.

The blue is a gorgeous 60 degree early fall day. 

Ebeneezer Gil needs another hot toddy.

hjDfDTP.jpg

That tweaked avatar is outstanding.

Also, while I am ADAMANTLY against delayed furnace-starts, it's a whole 'nother scenario if you're sacking out in an old space that lacks insulation, as Eleven is. I'm all for autumn camping, but not when I'm in my home. I think I'd vote to approve the use of the furnace in these limited circumstances.

Even though I had to turn on my heat the other day to keep some out of town guests comfy, I still think you need to sack up and wait until October. Or y'kno insulate your damn bedroom...

Two mind-benders in this thread. 1. Swamp said you should turn your furnace on before winter so you can find out if it broke down over the summer. If it was never on, how did it break down? 2. Why would having insulation help Eleven to not turn his heat on? The insulation keeps the heat in. There's no heat to keep in.

Edited by PASabreFan

Two mind-benders in this thread. 1. Swamp said you should turn your furnace on before winter so you can find out if it broke down over the summer. If it was never on, how did it break down? 2. Why would having insulation help Eleven to not turn his heat on? The insulation keeps the heat in. There's no heat to keep in.

The same way "It ran last time I parked it" is a common refrain for cars. Things corrode and age with time; rats chew wires. Further, start-up is the most stressful part of many device's cycle; computer hard disks fail most often on booting up.

Appliances and human bodies create heat. Think about going to a crowded bar or concert where it's a ton hotter inside than outside for an extreme case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.